Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

misswonderly wrote:

"I don't know why, but I never liked Ava Gardner. What's all the fuss about? "

Well. if you don't know you must not be a man. She is the sexiest woman to ever grace the screen IMHO (and that's say A LOT!) The face and body are tremendous, but it's those sensual lips and soft voice that really does it to me.

In general I agree with all the noir sirens listed here, but especially Linda Darnell, Jane Greer and Faith Domergue . . . I love the brunettes.

randyishere wrote:

"Well primos, the scandal that hurt Lizabeth's career came from that stupid 50's rag sheet Confidential. They implied that Liz preferred women over men and a fabulous career was over. She may indeed prefer women but who cares??"

Unfortunately, the innuendoes from Confidential were even worse . . . that she would spend a lot of time in a Paris S&M Lesbian brothel. I wonder who gave up this story to protect a bigger star's expos? being published . . . a la the story of Rory Calhoun's time in prison given to Confidential to squash the publishing of the story about Rock Hudson's sexual preference. Henry Willson, agent to both actors, felt Rory was expendable, whereas Rock, who was then becoming the Number One star in Hollywood, was not.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Lizbeth Scott had an unusual, husky voice, which makes her stand out from other femme fatales.

Of course Lauren Bacall is also known for her fine, husky voice. But, compared to Lizbeth's, it was almost a squeak!

Henry Wilson should have been flogged since he tried to ruin Rory Calhoun's acting career by selling him down the river. Rory is one of my favorite classic stars. I think he's especially good in westerns. It saddens me how cutthroat the movie business is/was and Confidential magazine made things worse. At least Rory went on to act in more films and tv series. And beautiful Liz Scott has been blessed with a long, happy life secure in the fact that tons of movie/noir fans consider her an icon and a goddess. As usual Arturo, you come up with the best info on our golden age stars and i thank you for sharing info that i did not know. I love to find out what was going on "behind the scenes" during the studio system years.

randyishere wrote:

"As usual Arturo, you come up with the best info on our golden age stars and i thank you for sharing info that i did not know. I love to find out what was going on "behind the scenes" during the studio system years."

Thanks randy. I am fascinated by all aspects of the hollywood studio system, and too enjoy finding out what went on behind the scenes. To this end i have read (and continue to read) countless biographies of stars, directors, moguls, etc. as well as other books on the system itself. I am luck to live in the Los Angeles area, where besides the Central Public Library and the various branch libraries, the universities tend to have well stocked libraries on this subject.

Oh you are so lucky to live out there in the heart of it all. I haven't been to Grauman's since 1987 and haven't been to the Walk Of Fame since 1988. I will have to get out there and do the whole tour again. So much fun to visit and i usually prowl the picture shops and buy some 8x10's of the classic movie gals i am fond of.

• 1 month later...

But guys ...all you Ava Gardner fans - please tell me something attractive about her besides her looks. To me -and maybe it is because I am a heterosexual female - she doesn't exude any kind of personality. Whenever she's on the screen , I get bored. Other female actors, noir or not, get across something else about themselves, some other quality, apart from their beauty and /or erotic appeal.

Gloria Grahame - kindness and vulnerability.

Jane Greer - intelligence and mystery

Barbara Stanwyck - determination and passion etcetera

Ava Gardner -beauty and sex appeal and ???