Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I love Grahame. Not the most versatile actress, but she had an allure that other more talented actresses lacked. Her best film, for my money, was "In a Lonely Place." It's the only A movie in which she had a lead role.

The Big Heat would be an 'A' movie and in that Grahame was the lead female role.

But I do agree that In a Lonely Place is her best role. Her and Bogie worked very well together and they really pulled off roles that were unique (i.e. not your typical Hollywood love story).

Hey, you are being argumentative (just joking of course!).

I agree with you that there is really no female 'lead' in this movie; Ford's wife isn't and is killed off and the only other female with much of a role is the corrupt, dead cop's wife and she also is a supporting character.

I guess my love for Grahame got me carried away!

• 3 months later...

fleming1.jpg

Sometimes the supporting players were just as sexy as the star.

Rhonda Fleming's Meta Carson may not have been as stylish and

deadly as Jane Greer's Kathie Moffat, but she was just as sexy.

And that first name has a certain intriguing quality to it.

And Marilyn Lynn.

Yep, Gloria was one sexy noir (and non-noir) dame. I love the look on

Glenn Ford's face in the top picture. Any other guy would be over

making out with Gloria in a second. Ole Glenn looks like he's trying to

remember whether he put enough money in the parking meter. Yikes.

Well Ford had his reasons for not jumping all over Gloria; First his wife just died and he was still in grief, and second Gloria was a witness that he was protecting. Not good for a cop to make love to a witness. Ford's character was key to the plot. He could of taken money from the mob boss like some others on the force but he wasn't that type. Thus he wasn't the type to jump on Gloria. His loss for sure!

Yes, Ford did show a lot of restraint with Gilda. His reasons for restraint in both movies are very different. While in both cases he had integrity (one respect for his job, the other respect for his boss by not sleeping with his wife), Ford clearly had 'issues' in Glida.

Just a little making out, that's all. Glenn did often seem to be the straight arrow

type. I think the main factor was the recent death of his wife, which is understandable.

Duty would have probably played a part too, though I think that would have gone by

the wayside much easier than his grief.

• 4 weeks later...

A shout out to Evelyn Keyes she's pretty cute in *Hells Half Acre* and in *99 River Street* I'll have to watch *The Prowler* again been awhile since I've seen it.

Evelyn as a taxidancer in Hells Half Acre

Evelyn_Keyestaxidancer.jpg

[img=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/348688206_f6c2450bf3.jpg?v=0]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/348688206_f6c2450bf3.jpg?v=0

I haven't seen The Prowler in a while either. I remember it as a neat

little noir. I've missed it the last couple of times it's been on TCM.

I big hand for the little lady--Veronica Lake. I saw The Glass Key the

last time it was on. Not as good as I remember it. The best part was

the various fights between William Bendix and Alan Ladd. The rest is

pretty standard stuff, well done but nothing special.

One thing I've noticed about Evelyn Keyes and a few other actresses is that a lot of still pictures really don't do them justice. A still really doesn't quite capture that spark of personality that they have in film.

Theres nothing wrong with the still, I'm just saying with some actresses the still is enough, with others the personality behind the look comes off better in a moving image, which captures certain gestures, mannerisms, and postures, tilts of the face expression of the eyes. I've noticed this particularly with Keyes and to some extent with Grahame.