Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Pre - Code Leading Lady

arlenemccarthy

Trying to stay with actual 'leading ladies' and not supporters ... Otherwise Lillian Roth makes the list.

I'll do this by studio for the kick of it ...

at Warners ... Barbara Stanwyck, Ann Dvorak, Kay Francis ...

at M-G-M ... Joan Crawford, Marion Davies, Garbo ...

at Columbia ... Grace Moore (they mostly borrowed people) ...

at Universal ... Gloria Stuart, Laura La Plante ...

at RKO ... Mary Astor, Ann Harding, Dorothy Lee ...

at Paramount ... Mae West, Marlene Dietrich, Jeanette MacDonald ,,,

at Fox ... Sally Eilers, Janet Gaynor, Clara Bow ...

at United Artists ... Ina Claire, Gloria Swanson, Virginia Cherrill ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I had to cut my list to just one lady it would have to be Kay Francis. She was such clothes horse, I fell in love with her over forty years ago, and to my eye Kay was also very lovely. Joan was great too, and Ann Dvorak was one of a kind. OMG I cant pick just one. The 1930's was a time of so many fabulous American leading ladies.

Re Thelma Todd...Apparently UCLA has a nitrate print of TAKE THE STAND (Liberty, 1934), also starring Jack LaRue and Gail Patrick.

And what of TRIAL MARRIAGE (Col., 1929), DECEPTION (Col., 1932) and THE POOR RICH RICH (Univ., 1934)? When is the last time LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE (RKO, 1934) has played on TCM?

Do any of her First National silents survive (not including SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN with Italian inter-titles)?

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

>Do any of her First National silents survive (not including SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN with Italian inter-titles)?

>

Yes, I've seen HEART TO HEART (1928, First National).

And regarding TRIAL MARRIAGE (1929, Columbia) a newly restored print of the silent version was shown at Cinecon last September. So I've been hoping it can and will be available to be shown on TCM. Although I'd be disappointed it's the silent version (I'd love to hear the original 1929 music score) I'd still very much like to see it on TCM, especially since along with Thelma we get the wonderful Sally Eilers.

But since the print has no soundtrack, perhaps TCM will find that a problem in running it.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> Re Thelma Todd...Apparently UCLA has a nitrate print of TAKE THE STAND (Liberty, 1934), also starring Jack LaRue and Gail Patrick.

> And what of TRIAL MARRIAGE (Col., 1929), DECEPTION (Col., 1932) and THE POOR RICH (Univ., 1934)? When is the last time LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE (RKO, 1934) has played on TCM?

> Do any of her First National silents survive (not including SEVEN FOOTPRINTS TO SATAN with Italian inter-titles)?

>

Speaking of rare Thelma Todd films, her 1933 British feature YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU is scheduled to be shown at Slapsticon 7 in Arlington, Virginia on July 17, 2010.

Here's the schedule:

http://www.slapsticon.org/program.html

• 3 months later...

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> You've got to be kidding! Where is Norma Shearer? She did it all with beauty, class and talent. Irving Thalberg's knowing it when he saw it didn't diminish it; she just proved him right.

She was sort of the "first" precode lady. Too bad she got so...nice and lost her edge after the Precode era.

Other favorites:

Jean Harlow

Mae West (never quite the same after 1934)

Precode Ginger Rogers was a lot of fun

Kay Francis

Ann Harding

Myrna Loy (as much as I love Nick and Nora, she was a lot of fun as a vamp too)

Ruth Chatterton

Joan Crawford (she stayed edgy and I think that gave her a much longer shelf life than Norma Shearer)

Dorothy Mackaill

Marlene Dietrich (who should have done more comedy)

Archived