Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Crawford

Guest Girl, Crawford

Guest Cat, Maggie the

You're right there (about silence), Mike. Also, when the book first came out, child abuse was just beginning to lose its taboo status. However, it was largely considered a trailer trash phenomenon. One of the big shockers about Mommie Dearest was that rich people abuse their children, too. And Christina has done some constructive work with all this: Educating people about child abuse, working to reform adoption laws.

BRAVO to you CrawfordGirl! I just visited your web page and it is fabulous. The pictures are stunning and the Baby Jane gallery was outstanding. The information regarding the ultimate movie star is most informative and interesting (I just couldn't get enough). Also the links to other stars (Harlow, Gable, Davis, Novak) are priceless. Crawford was the ultimate star and you are the ultimate fan.

• 1 month later...
Guest bbb, anna

I understand that everyone has favorite stars, but please explain what it is about Joan Crawford that you like. For some one that thought she was SO BEAUTIFUL, I find her greatly lacking. And as far as her acting, Katharine Hepburn could act cirles aroung JC. I have never seen what JC's fans see in her. And if that is not enough, her daughter's book. Some want to say it could not have been such a secret, but let's remember Rock Hudson for a moment. Then there is the rumor of her WAYS she made it as far as she did, I believe there must be some truth to that because beauty was not one of her assets.

Guest Lyndsey

Well, personally, I love her for all the reasons previously stated; beautiful, talented (in both acting and dancing), and an enormous presence onscreen. I mean, this lady seemed six feet tall, (just like Gloria Swanson did), because of her power. Realistically, she was 5'4", and Gloria was 4'11". Her daughter's book did reveal a lot about her personality and flaws, but I think it makes her even more interesting. Not that I am glorifying violence towards children or anyone. I like to know a lot about a certain star's background and life off of the screen, it just makes you feel closer to the person. Yes, she did have problems, as everyone does, but that doesn't make her less of a person because of this. I respect your opinion in that I did not always appreciate her, either, believe it or not. I felt exactly the same way as you do. But something about her just pops out at you, and you're hooked! What more can I say?! I saw DANCING LADY again tonight. That must be...oh, at least the 10th time I've seen it! But I'm a huge fan of her early thirties pictures, so it just goes to prove I can never get enough of her.

"They had faces then" and Joan Crawford was indeed one of them. Director Cukor appreciated her beauty as well as photographer Hurrell. The bone structure and profile were unique as well as those big blue eyes. The woman was something else and what a dame.

Im going to weigh in here with my 2 cents in response to anna bbb...there are so many reasons someone can be a favorite star to someone, it isnt really worth the trouble to try to understand why. I dont think Miss Crawford wanted to be a Davis or a Hepburn and join that "great actress" sweepstakes, as that can create a lot of tension and jealousy among others in the same field, not to mention the disappointment when you inevitably lose. I happen to be a big fan of Miss Davis, but heck, I know she wasnt the greatest looking woman in Hollywood, nor was she a glamour puss either. That is not what I responded to anyway, but her artistry and abilities, something that Miss Crawford also had in spades, if you look for them and stop comparing her to others. Miss Crawford was a lovely woman, and remained so for a long time because she worked at it, it was important to her, it was part of her artistry. Each great star from the Golden Era brought their own dish to the table, and their own abilities and drawbacks, and each can be savored once more, on celluloid, for all eternity. May they all forever be as radiant and as memorable to watch after one hundred years as they were the first time we saw them.