Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"New York Confidential" (1955) on DVD in June!

This great noir is finally coming out on video! :D

From classicflix:

VCI has set a June 29th release date for *New York Confidential* (1955). The much sought after noir stars Broderick Crawford, Richard Conte, Marilyn Maxwell, Anne Bancroft and J. Carrol Naish.

It will be presented in its original aspect ratio (1.85:1) and comes with plenty of bonus features.

The kill-or-be-killed world of organized crime is the focus of this hard-hitting expose from the Oscar-nominated writing team of Russell Rouse and Clarence Greene.

Broderick Crawford is the NYC mob boss dealing out death as the answer to every crisis--from a minor member of his own syndicate, to a Washington lobbyist, to his own hired killers!

BONUS FEATURES:

* Narrative commentary by Alan Rode

* Tough Customers: Crawford, Conte, Naish, Mazurki: Narrative with stills/clips about this quartet of legendary noir baddies

* Anne Bancroft, Unlikely Femme Fatale: Chronological narrative with stills on the early part of her film career as a femme fatale sexpot

* Feature on Russell Rouse, producer, director, writer, of D.O.A., The Thief, The Well, NYC, and Wicked Woman.

* Original Theatrical Trailer

newyorkcon.jpg

Oh, you're welcome. I really recommend this movie, which I saw for the first time about a year ago at a film noir festival. Right away, I thought it was one of the better "forgotten" noirs I had ever seen, and really started hoping it would be released on DVD at some point in the future.

It's a funny thing, because this was a Warner Bros. release, theatrically, but I guess Warner doesn't own the rights to it any more.

I take it you have never seen it?

HollywoodGolightly,

I am a very big noir fan, but I dont recall this film. Its so nice to see another female noir fan.Again thank you for the tip.

Edited by: arlenemccarthy on Apr 1, 2010 3:08 PM

Edited by: arlenemccarthy on Apr 1, 2010 3:08 PM

• 1 month later...

I love Marilyn Maxwell. Her part in Champion had me glued to the screen, she was so greedy. I will definitely buy this when it comes out. I enjoy Broderick as well, although i've never seen him play a bad guy yet, so this will be a treat.

Holly, see Maxwell in Champion if you get the chance. She's gorgeous but a nasty social climber and this was probably the best role she was ever given. MM squares off with Kirk Douglas in this one and is not a woman to be toyed with. She's so good in Champion.