Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The definitive film noir

Guest TCMhost-Claire

If the "Bad Girl" element is essential to a film-noir classic, then Ava Gardner in THE KILLERS has to qualify her. Kathleen Turner's BODY HEAT performance got a few of her co-characters killed in that film, but Ava was going to get EVERYONE killed. And she didn't even get to run off to a tropic island hammock like Kathleen did! tsk tsk

Then there's sort of the wrong-side-of-the-tracks girl with a heart-of-gold type, like Jean Hagen played in ASPHALT JUNGLE to perfection. What a stretch that lady did - Dear Ol' Mom in PANIC IN YEAR ZERO, this ASPHALT nightingale role, and of course Lena in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

Everyone: Since I'm very fuzzy-headed about what movies are "noir" and which ones aren't, can you tell me if ON DANGEROUS GROUND is considered a film noir? I absolutley love this movie to death but to my thinking it is a drama. Your the experts, so what do you think?

[nobr]Thanks, :) [nobr]

[nobr][nobr]

[nobr]on_dangerous_ground.jpg[nobr]

Different posters mentioned Richard Conte as a classic film-noir actor and in searching for a photo of him I came across a still, with Colleen Gray, from The Sleeping City. Has anyone seen this movie and can comment on it? It's the first I've heard of it. [nobr] [nobr][nobr]

[nobr]

[nobr]

Conte.JPG[nobr]

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

THE SLEEPING CITY is a rarely seen film noir from 1950. Conte goes undercover in a big city hospital to get the lowdown on nefarious goings on. A very strong film. My two favorite Conte performances (in noir films) would be THIEVES HIGHWAY and THE BIG COMBO. Both are out there on DVD. Check 'em out!

Thanks---I think I've seen The Big Combo but would like to again, as well as the others. I like Conte in House of Strangers, Call Northside 777, Whirlpool, They Came to Codura, Somewhere in the Night (he surprised me in this one!) and The Blue Gardenia.

I even liked him in the "Tony Rome" movies. ;)

Miss G

Check him out in the 1956 film FULL OF LIFE co-starring the incredible Judy Holliday. It's taken from a wonderful novel by John Fante, which also comes highly recommended! It's a Columbia film and turns up on TCM. Set your timer when it does!

Dassin disliked the ending that Zanuck tacked onto the end of Thieves Highway. Mr Z did it while Dassin was filming Night and the City, if my memorary is correct. Millard Mitchell was always great, please check out Winchester '73, The Naked Spur, The Gunfighter, and 12 O' Clock High, in addition to Highway .

Message was edited by:

ken123

Message was edited by:

ken123

There is an interesting interview with the original writer in "The Big Book of Noir" (I forgot his name) He's done many other great films as well. He complained about them screwing up the endings to several of his scripts including "Thieves" and "On Dangerous Ground".

Dewey probably knows who I am talking about and can elaborate.

• 1 year later...