Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forbidden Planet the unanswered questions??

Forbidden Planet is a good movie, but here's some questions to think about.

First let's start with the Krell, what they looked like and that triangular shaped arch.

This is always mentioned and everyone wonders what kind of creature needed that triangular shaped arch. Pictures form of some bulky thing comes to everyone's mind.

But something never mentioned is that at the main entrance to the Krell lab. There is a pair of very human like stair steps, one is obviously a "Up" nearest the door control and the other a "Down".

A pair of bulky Krell would have a hard time passing each other here. They would also have to human sized feet.

I had ran across this about the Krell-

Reference: 1979 CINEFANTASTIQUE Magazine Double-Issue (Volume 8 - Number 2 & Volume 8 - Number 3) MAKING FORBIDDEN PLANET - By Frederick S. Clarke and Steve Rubin

The steps leading up to the Krell door ... were designed to be separated by a smooth ramp in the middle.

In the article the Forbidden Planet's film's cinematographer, George Folsey states:

"The Krell were originally frog-like in nature with two long legs and a big tail. They were never shown, but it was indicated in the original screenplay that the ramps between the steps were designed to accommodate their dragging tail."

But now there is the little shuttle car in the lab complex, that Dr.Morbius and the Commander and Doctor ride in.

Dr.Morbius say's he sometimes thinks of the Krell scientists riding in it. How'd the Krell fit in that little car? It's about the right size for 3-4 human's, but not a big bulky Krell dragging a tail.

Also Dr.Morbius said that nothing remained that showed their physical appearance. He had to be wrong, the device that held the some total of their technical knowledge.

It would have to have at least a silhouette of a Krell, for use with some device diagram medical or otherwise. There are plenty of technical manuals here, that have a human silhouette in them. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt, that he may not have just got far enough through the library to run across one.

I think they did meant for the Krell to be some oddly shaped alien, with that triangular shaped arch to tease your mind. But they forgot about it with the shuttle car.

Edited by: scifibot on Apr 4, 2010 10:56 PM

Another question is...

When the Commander, Alta and Morbius are chased into the Krell lab.After they shut the door, the Commander spins the combination lock dial. He tells Morbius its because the ID monster knows what Morbius knows meaning it knows the combination.

How does spinning the dial around do anything to keep it out? If its like a earth combination lock, just spinning the dial around doesn't change the combination.

If it did change it, How did they get out? They wouldn't have known the new combination. Also about how they got out, the ID monster had got the door white hot and it had started to melt.

That door would have been heavily damaged, I'd be hard pressed to see it open again. Now if the ID monster had made a hole in it yes they could have crawled through it.

But being white hot that metal would have took a long time to cool off enough that they could have safely pass through it. ( But a complex that size I would think there would be another door.)

Someone in another thread asked how did Morbius know the combination to the door when they first found it. That's a good question also!

I might guess the door was open all ready and when he got the IQ boost part of the knowledge he got was the combination or he was able to find it in the technical library or he was then able to change it to a new combination he made. Or they got lucky and picked it.

• 1 month later...

I think at the end of the film when they are blasting the invisible monster that may be what the Krell looked like. You can see an outline of the monster and it appears to be triangular in shape.

> {quote:title=Geoffe wrote:}{quote}

> I think at the end of the film when they are blasting the invisible monster that may be what the Krell looked like. You can see an outline of the monster and it appears to be triangular in shape.

I don't think so. The ID monster was created from Morbius's subconscious and he didn't know what a Krell looked like. So his subconscious mind wouldn't have had that image to project.

I'll have to go with this discription of the krell.

In the article the Forbidden Planet's film's cinematographer, George Folsey states:

"The Krell were originally frog-like in nature with two long legs and a big tail."

• 2 weeks later...

I think what fans of this film are getting up in arms about is something that screenwriters of that era really didn't focus on. They didn't waste money or screen time explaining the minutia if it didn't serve the dramatic story.

The audiences at the time didn't care and most of us who first fell in love with the film didn't care either, until later.

Maybe if Joe Stracynski's prequel to this movie gets made it will answer or at least clarify the universe better. Until that time, its all speculation based on unproduced ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the real is answer is like most things that get us talking is best left to your own imagination. I don't really think the set designer made the Krell world for the Krell's. But instead made it work for the actors.