Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite Hepburn-Tracey Film

Mine is "The Desk Set". The wide screen and color is kind of a shock since we're mostly used to seeing them in their various black-and-whites, but I thought they commanded that screen as surely as they ever did. The touch of "codger" that was always there in both of them really plays well here as they age. It's fun and smart, even though it seems like a stage play at times. The supporting cast really came through too. Gig Young was sort of an odd choice as her "beau", but can you beat Joan Blondell EVER? The sight of the gigantic computer and the idea that information was stored in BOOKS kind of dates this, but for me it doesn't dampen the fun. I love the reminder of a time when minds were valued so highly.

BOOKS? Oh, yeah, the things with pages. I remember them. ;-)

In those days computers actually took up most of a huge room, and they had less power than a $5 pocket calculator does today. They had to show lights flashing so the audience would know what it was. THE DESK SET is a real time capsule.

And they didn't have cell phones or Blackberries! How did they live under such primitive conditions?

I really enjoyed "Guess who's Coming to Dinner", it had incredible acting, was well written, well directed, and had a nice message to it. Not to mention the back story behind the casting, where Kramer essentially deceived Tracy, Hepburn, and Poitier, into their roles is humorous.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote for Desk Set with Guess Who's Coming to Dinner second. I get a kick out of seeing how business has and has not changed in nearly sixty years and the interplay between the characters is delightful. If only all my workplaces were that congenial! As for Dinner, that final scene with Spencer Tracy's monologue and " that look" at Hepburn makes me blush; it's like looking in somebody's window. We all know he wasn't acting.

• 4 weeks later...

Loved all but "Desk Set", "Pat and Mike" are my favorites followed closely by "Woman of the Year". and "Adams Rib".

The scene in "Desk Set" where Tracy is leaving Hepburn's apartment and Kate and Joan Blondell are watching him go around the wall to the door and he walks back in with his pants pulled down some and his shirt is pulled out and hat is askew with his hands in his pockets and he walking like a drunk, well I'm sure that was a ad lib scene he worked out with Lang the director and as good an actress as Hepburn and Blondell I think they knew nothing about it because their reactions are wonderful....

• 2 months later...

It's absolutely Adam's rib. This just is an exellent movie: tight script, marvelous direction, top notch performances, especially by Judy Holiday and o so funny. But then: Pat and MIke and woman of the year are also marvelous.