Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Day of the Triffids (1963)

I just saw a promo for TCM's film festival and I was only half paying attention when Robert O said "and the world premiere of the restored science fiction classic THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS". I was so surprised that I backed it up and listened to it again just to make sure I heard it correctly.

I haven't read about a restoration, but I'm delighted since there doesn't seem to anything but abysmal public domain copies out there. I'd given up hope for ever getting a great copy. Hopefully this will lead to DVD release _very_ soon and maybe even a tie-in screening on TCM. :):):)

>>there doesn't seem to anything but abysmal public domain copies out there

There was one version released on the Allied Artists label (that's the studio that produced it) - it was a bit pricey so I never bought it; can't say what the quality is.

> {quote:title=HarryLong wrote:}{quote}

> >>there doesn't seem to anything but abysmal public domain copies out there

> There was one version released on the Allied Artists label (that's the studio that produced it) - it was a bit pricey so I never bought it; can't say what the quality is.

Actually, AA was only the U.S. distributor, it was produced by a British company, Security Pictures, but that doesn't matter. I"ve seen maybe a dozen different DVDs of it and while I can't remember specifics, I'm pretty sure that I saw the AA version.

and for some reason I didn't care for it. So with hopes that the restored version will soon be released I will just wait with crossed fingers. As Holly mentioned, maybe we'll see it in time for Halloween.

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Triffids-Howard-Keel/dp/B0000BZNH8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270993132&sr=1-2

Its under the Pro-Active Entertainment Group or Cheezyflicks..the art looks alike...

There are sellers on Amazon who carry that title, but make sure you ask them if its widescreen,matches the artwork shown and you'll be in business

It is OOP but sellers have them on Amazon so you can get it

I like the transfer personally speaking

My question is why have they not showed "The Day Of The Triffiads" been shown on TCM? I would like to see the movie at least until I can find a DVD of the movie. My mother, brother and I watched this particular movie for the first time back in 1969 while my father was in Vietnam and we loved it but I have only seen it maybe a handful of times since. And I have looked it places that sell DVD and I haven't been able to find it or ther is another movie I haven't been able to find is "Night of the Comet". So what gives.

>>And let's face it, the TCM programmers are not really that big on sci-fi & horror.

Ironically, you posted that on a day that TCM spent 12 hours on sci-fi/fantasy films.

>>And let's face it, the TCM programmers are not really that big on sci-fi & horror.

Ironically, you posted that on a day that TCM spent 12 hours on sci-fi/fantasy films.

Okaaaay.... not normally big...

(Where's the blushing smiley when I need it?)

• 2 months later...

Sorry I didn't attend the TCM film festival but some further information. DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS the movie starred Howard Keel and Nicole Maurey.

The movie is based on the novel of the same name, written in 1951 by the English science fiction author John Wyndham. Although Wyndham had already published other novels, this was the first published under the John Wyndham pen-name. It established him as an important writer, and remains his best known novel. Wyndham also wrote "The Midwich Cuckoos" which was turned into the movie VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED starring George Sanders, which has been shown on TCM.

The novel was adapted to radio (readings) by the BBC as early as 1953.

A film version was produced in the UK and released in 1962.

A television version was produced by the BBC serial in 1981, I saw this version and it is more faithful to the original story.

In December 2009, the BBC broadcast a new version of the story, written by "ER" and "Law & Order" writer Patrick Harbinson. It stars Dougray Scott as Bill Masen, Joely Richardson as Jo Playton, Brian Cox as Dennis Masen, Vanessa Redgrave as Durrant, Eddie Izzard as Torrence and Jason Priestley as Coker.