Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
infinite1

With all due respect....

I think it's a grand idea for TCM to host a film festival, but for it to be exclusively on the West Coast is a tad unfair. I would have appreciated this festival more if it was spread out across the country giving more people a chance to participate in person. Maybe next time around, if there is a next time, TCM can give a thought to folks who don't live on the West Coast.

With all due respect to you TCM has held roadshow events in anticipation of this festival and only one (the April 21st screening of The Lady From Shanghai) is being held on the West Coast (San Francicso)

http://www.tcm.com/roadtohollywood/

Moreover there will be special at home programming on TCM in honor of the festival for viewers who can't come to Hollywood

> {quote:title=infinite1 wrote:}{quote}

> I think it's a grand idea for TCM to host a film festival, but for it to be exclusively on the West Coast is a tad unfair. I would have appreciated this festival more if it was spread out across the country giving more people a chance to participate in person. Maybe next time around, if there is a next time, TCM can give a thought to folks who don't live on the West Coast.

I've never thought of it as being "exclusively on the West Coast" in the way as one would think, lol, of Las Vegas as being exclusively in Nevada or the Statue of Liberty as being exclusively in New York State. It just happens that this first festival is taking place in Hollywood, where most of the movies were made. If you can think of a reason for it to take place in Des Moines, please let me know.

I'm sure TCM thought long and hard about where to hold it. Remember, the TCM staff are all in Atlanta, Georgia, and they have to come out to L.A. themselves for this. There are probably a lot of reasons for their decision to hold it in L.A.; one of which is probably that most of the guests who will be introducing the films are out here, too. A lot less money than having them fly across the country. Plus they have to find a number of theatres gathered together like this.

And since it is taking place in April, L.A. is one of the few places where the weather will not likely be a problem. : )

> {quote:title=VDOVault wrote:}{quote}

> With all due respect to you TCM has held roadshow events in anticipation of this festival and only one (the April 21st screening of The Lady From Shanghai) is being held on the West Coast (San Francicso)

>

> http://www.tcm.com/roadtohollywood/

>

> Moreover there will be special at home programming on TCM in honor of the festival for viewers who can't come to Hollywood

Hollywood is on the West Coast, the festival is exclusively on the West Coast, that is the issue.

But, what exactly is that special at home programming on TCM that you refer to? Is TCM going to be screening the same films? I can't wait to see "THE STORY OF TEMPLE DRAKE" or that new restored version of "METROPOLIS" that has been hyped the last few months on TCM, it appears for the festival only. From what I see in the programming guide from April 22-25, the at home programming on TCM during the festival is nothing out of the ordinary bill of fare, the usual suspects, some good, some bad, but nothing special to "honor" the festival. I guess that's the punishment for those who, for whatever reason, choose not to attend.

If they want to do one in NY next year I'd be fine with that...shorter travelling distance for me.

Hey, why not have it in Vancouver? Isn't that Hollywood North, now? I'm pretty sure they make more films there than in NYC, now. And, it's much closer to me in Seattle.

With all due respect, Hollywood is generally considered the epicenter of the film industry. NY would be a great place to have a classic theater festival, though. Actually, NY probably already has a lot of it's own festivals, doesn't it?

To your point, though, I do wish you could make it. I wish all classic film lovers could make it and enjoy what promises to be a great time in the fantasy land of Tinseltown! And, no town has ever done fantasy better than Hollywood.

TCM, by the way, does plan on broadcasting from the festival, so note that some of the films being shown at the festival will also be discussed on the network.

David

*"From what I see in the programming guide from April 22-25, the at home programming on TCM during the festival is nothing out of the ordinary bill of fare, the usual suspects, some good, some bad, but nothing special to "honor" the festival. I guess that's the punishment for those who, for whatever reason, choose not to attend."* - infinite1

TCM's evening programming on the nights of April 22 to April 25 salute some of the same themes being showcased at the Classic Film Festival. It wasn't meant to replicate the screenings at the Film Festival though some films do appear in both places, such as *The Graduate*, *The Magnificent Ambersons* and *2001: A Space Odyssey*. Other films being shown a the Classic Film Festival will appear on TCM in the coming months, such as *Leave Her To Heaven* and the restored *A Star Is Born* which are both part of this year's "The Essentials" series.

The four nights of films on TCM programmed to mirror themes that are also part of the Classic Film Festival line-up consists of -

Thursday - "20 Years Of The Film Foundation"

Friday - "Special Effects by Douglas Trumbull"

Saturday - Vanity Fair's "Tales Of Hollywood"

Sunday - "The History Of Hollywood"

And as 'mavfan4life' noted, TCM will be recording Robert Osborne's intros (among other pieces) for these four nights of programming at the the Classic Film Festival. I don't know more details but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the Film Festival's Special Guests appeared in a few of the intros also. At least I hope so. It'd be nice to see Nancy Olson and Robert Osborne discussing *Sunset Blvd.* during TCM's Sunday night programming correlating with the Film Festival's theme of "Hollywood On Hollywood".

For those not able to be in Hollywood, watching TCM next weekend will be, to quote an old ATT ad, the next best thing to being there.

Kyle In Hollywood

One other thought on this ... TCM has demonstrated tremendous marketing know-how over the years. Classic films have been a staple of television all my life (I'm 54), yet they manage to re-package them in ways that are typically creative and informative (as well as fun). They've successfully carved out a niche in the world of classic films.

There is no way that marketeers like these guys will have a festival and not do intensive cross-marketing with the network. I suspect we'll see interviews and other programming generated out of this for the next year, in addition to it's use in promotions for the next edition in 2011.

If you had told me 10 years ago that I would watch TCM 20 times more than I watch all other movie channels combined (yes, I subscribe to them all), I would never have believed you.

Hope to meet you next week, Kyle.

David