Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The World of Alfred Hitchcock

MissGoddess

Until TCM sees fit to bring out the pooper scooper, here are some legitimate posts to bury the stench (which I have only heard about, as I have all idiots on ):

We know just how you feel Hitch.

Marnie-1.jpg

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> The Divine MissG:

>

> My history with "Marnie" is ambivalent. There are parts I find interesting but some seems over the top. That may be more Miss Hedren than "Marnie." One minute shes normal the next she is not. I have mixed emotions on the marriage. Part of me wonders why Connery would be so adamant about chasing a woman who, often, seems so determined to be separated from him. The ending is interesting and makes sense but I am not sure if the degree of her situation is solely do to her childhood.

>

> How is that for a superficial answer? I certainly need to watch it again if I am going to sound half way interesting.

>

Not superficial at all (we'll leave that to the professional robo-posters around here.)

I think we're supposed to wonder about Mark...and I also think Konway is right about his motives having to do with his first wife's death.

Hi, Konway,

> {quote:title=konway87 wrote:}{quote}

> SPOILERS

>

> I thought Marnie was a good film. I love Bernard Herrmann's score for the film. Tippi Hedren did a good job playing her role. I always wondered how Vera Miles would have played the role if the role was given to her.

I think Vera would have captured Marnie's sense of alienation superbly. Vera could play "different" and withdrawn exceedingly well.

> I found Marnie interesting because of several reasons. Let me take Mark Rutland. His wife died at a very young age, because of some heart problems. Its very possible that Mark felt guilty about not being able to save his wife from her health problems.

>

> When he saw a troubled woman like Marnie, he tried to get her so that he could return to the point in the past where he might start afresh. He possibly wanted Marnie as his own form of a second chance to redeem after he failed to save his first wife. Mark's motivations are quite similar to the motivations of both Charles Adare (Under Capricorn) and Scottie Ferguson (Vertigo).

>

That is fascinating! I admit I never thought about it that way, perhaps because Mark says so little about his first wife, but it makes sense.

> Lil's character represents an illusion of Mark's past. We know that Lil loves Mark. But Mark didn't show much attention to Lil possibly because of his fear of the past. He possibly fears that Lil may face the same result like his first wife did. What do you think about it, everyone?

I don't know...Lil just seems like a child in his eyes, he doesn't respond to her as a woman. I also think he may honestly resist any idea of getting involved with his dead wife's sister. Even obsessives like Mark have their standards! :D

SPOILERS

"The ending is interesting and makes sense but I am not sure if the degree of her situation is solely do to her childhood."

I forgot to explain this. As you know, the flashback sequence is one major reason. Here are other reasons. Marnie's mother gave her impression that men are no good except for making life miserable. This also pushed Marnie to hate Men more. Marnie tried so hard to receive love from her mother. But she never received love from her mother. So she became isolated. Through this isolation, she became even more troubled. Her only happiness was riding with her horse Forio. Marnie's troubles are quite similar to Samson Flusky's troubles in Under Capricorn.

MissGoddess, We also see that Mark kept his wife's collections in his office. And Mark kisses Marnie only after he finds out that his first wife's collections are destroyed.

>

> MissGoddess, We also see that Mark kept his wife's collections in his office. And Mark kisses Marnie only after he finds out that his first wife's collections are destroyed.

Konway, you really do bring a unique perspective to these films. I admit I'd never have picked up on these things. I'm so glad you're posting here again. :)

Now, if we can just get CineMaven and Lazy Legs Grimes to write something about MARNIE... ;)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> What Konway is writing is excellent! He needs to keep it going.

Stop dumping all the responsibility on others or we're going to stuff you, Norman.

SPOILERS

In Marnie, Mark forces Marnie when she resists. As you know, Mark's failure of a successful marriage forced him to do that. As for Scottie in Vertigo, he failed to save Madeleine from death. When Scottie finds out that there is a second chance in recreating Madeleine, he forces Judy to become Madeleine.

It would take a lot of heavy lifting to attempt to turn a movie about, in varying

degrees, prostitution, theft, sexual fetishism, and spousal rape, into an MGM musical.

Hitch just wanted to expose the occasionally bleak reality underneath the superficial,

normal facade of everyday life, a bit of the old transgressiveness, that something in

the shadows that usually doesn't see the light of day. He did go a bit overboard with

the Freudian dingus, but that doesn't keep it from having a certain far-fetched bravura,

though I don't think it's really up to his 1950's movies with similar themes.

"Now, if we can just get CineMaven and Lazy Legs Grimes to write something about MARNIE..." ;-)

I'll make my contribution to "MARNIE" a little later. And my posts will have lots of "Spoilers." I'm leaving this FedEX office in a few moments to walk to Battery Park, sit in the sun and collect my thoughts; maybe stop by the Marriott and have a drink as I write my thoughts.

As for "Lazy Legs"... ( :P ) ha, I say we don't hold our collective breaths.

"Now, if we can just get CineMaven and Lazy Legs Grimes to write something about MARNIE..." ;-) - < MISSGODDESS >

?You?re a cold, practiced, little Method actress of a liar.? - Mark Rutland to Marnie

?MARNIE? is a woman?s picture and I must have been sixteen years old when I first saw it; a young sixteen. I didn?t know anything about anything except what my friends and I pieced together. I can actually vividly picture the TV Guide listing for ?MARNIE? waaay back when, to be shown on one of NBC?s ?_______Night At The Movies? back in the 60?s. She?s in black holding onto one of the posts of the bed. I watched it on the big color tv in the living room with my parents. I didn?t understand much of what went on other than ?oooh, that?s James Bond.? I knew one thing...I knew enough NOT to ask my parents.

?MARNIE? seems to be the one Hitchcock movie people love to hate. According to some popu-

lar opinion, Tippi Hedren is the worse Hitchcock blonde in the canon of Hitchcock blondes and Hitchcock films. She?s the worse Hitchcock blonde who ever roamed the earth. She's the worse Hitchcock blonde since Alfred Hitchcock ever even SAW a blonde. She?s the worse

Hitchcock blonde since the ?Big Bang.?

She is????

I?ve seen ?MARNIE? many, many (many) times since I was a kid. I thoroughly enjoy it. So what the heck am I missing?

I watched it on YouTube Sunday night when I caught a whiff of an inkling of a hint of a possibi-

lity that there might be discussion of the movie. (All I need is a whiff of an inkling of a hint of a possibility and I'm off to the races). I know the movie backwards and forward but thought I?d better bone up with a refresher since you serious posters on the Board are a smart lot. I hadn?t seen ?MARNIE? in its entirety in about two and a half years or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So what the heck AM I missing??

More learned authors and opinionated Average Joes than I, have better explored the psycholo-

gical psychosexual dramatic roller coaster that is ?MARNIE? in all its ?artificiality.? So I shall leave them to play Freud and Jung and decipher the psych stuff. Me? Hey, I can only share with you my musings through mine own lens.