Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The World of Alfred Hitchcock

MissGoddess

In addition to finding and watching THE FARMER'S WIFE on YouTube, THE MANXMAN is also there, along with THE SKIN GAME! I'm going to see these two tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on May 8, 2010 9:44 PM

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> In addition to finding and watching THE FARMER'S WIFE on YouTube, THE MANXMAN is also there, along with THE SKIN GAME! I'm going to see these two tomorrow. I'm so excited!

>

I'm so glad you brought this up because I completely forgot to reply to your post about THE FARMER'S WIFE. You got the creepy feeling, too, from the opening and the look of the farmhouse??? I think it must have been intentional....after all, how often do spooky looking or isolated houses and dark humor show up in his movies? Rebecca...Psycho...The 39 Steps...Saboteur....

I can't wait for you to see THE MANXMAN...I have the feeling you're going to REALLY appreciate that one.

> I think of Mark as wanting to learn about Marnie for the reasons I stated above. Marnie is very similar to... :

>

That's a fascinating comparison, between Marnie and Irena...wow, I'm going to have to watch Cat People again with that in mind. That's sharp! I believe you have something there...it makes me wish we could have seen something of Irena's childhood. Poor little thing.

> I'm so glad you brought this up because I completely forgot to reply to your post about THE FARMER'S WIFE. You got the creepy feeling, too, from the opening and the look of the farmhouse??? I think it must have been intentional....after all, how often do spooky looking or isolated houses and dark humor show up in his movies? Rebecca...Psycho...The 39 Steps...Saboteur....

The farmhouse really spooked me! But, you're right, what else could we expect from Hitch? And you want to know something else? Jameson Thomas as Sam looks like one of my students, the one I said resembles a cross between Boris Karloff and a camel.

>

> I can't wait for you to see THE MANXMAN...I have the feeling you're going to REALLY appreciate that one.

Really looking forward to it!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on May 8, 2010 10:01 PM

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Can I just say that bedroom is my dream bedroom. I have always wanted one just like it. Fabulous. You have to give Becky the credit, she had great taste. Well, except in maids.

It is beautiful.

And I've always wanted to have my underwear sewn by French convent nuns.

That's a fascinating comparison, between Marnie and Irena...wow, I'm going to have to watch Cat People again with that in mind. That's sharp! I believe you have something there...it makes me wish we could have seen something of Irena's childhood. Poor little thing.

Both Marnie and Irena are living with a "curse." I also think their men were initially drawn to them for sexual reasons.

catpeople46.jpg

marnie22.jpg

>

> Both Marnie and Irena are living with a "curse." I also think their men were initially drawn to them for sexual reasons.

>

That's so true. And both are cases for the psychiatric couch...and Dr Judd is a "predator" of sorts, taking unfair advantage. And of course, neither bride wants to cooperate on her honeymoon. :D

Marvelous screencap comparison! I wonder if Hitch ever saw Cat People and what he thought of it?

And both are cases for the psychiatric couch.

Very good!

and Dr Judd is a "predator" of sorts, taking unfair advantage.

He's definitely a predator. Mark is actually playing both roles in Marnie.

And of course, neither bride wants to cooperate on her honeymoon. :D

:D Poor Irena wishes to, and, as Jackie mentioned in her initial post, I believe Marnie really wants to but is completely consumed by her fears.

I wonder if Hitch ever saw Cat People and what he thought of it?

He probably did. Although, I've always wondered how much directors watched the films of their contemporaries.

>

> He's definitely a predator. Mark is actually playing both roles in Marnie.

>

He does indeed. His style even reminds me of Judd. Except Mark is more sincere.

>

> :D Poor Irena wishes to, and, as Jackie mentioned in her initial post, I believe Marnie really wants to but is completely consumed by her fears.

>

That is true. Marnie and Irena are both "caged" creatures, caged by their own fears and traumas. Funny how there's even a "birds" connection in Cat People. :D

> I wonder if Hitch ever saw Cat People and what he thought of it?

>

> He probably did. Although, I've always wondered how much directors watched the films of their contemporaries.

I get the impression they didn't do it much. Hitch said he never even went on any movie set other than his own, with one exception. They probably were sick of it at the end of the day and didn't view watching movies as "recreation" anymore.

He does indeed. His style even reminds me of Judd. Except Mark is more sincere.

Yes, I believe Mark is far more sincere. His "Ollie" quickly emerges. He especially becomes this when he sees how tortured Marnie is. He turns from predator to protector. Is this not man? We start as one and, ideally, turn into the other?

Marnie and Irena are both "caged" creatures, caged by their own fears and traumas.

Hey, that's good. A cat, a horse.

Funny how there's even a "birds" connection in Cat People. :D

What did you do to Tweety?! interestingly, the "other woman" wins out in Cat People but not in The Birds.

I get the impression they didn't do it much. Hitch said he never even went on any movie set other than his own, with one exception. They probably were sick of it at the end of the day and didn't view watching movies as "recreation" anymore.

I can certainly believe that. I also wonder if their egos could take watching the work of others.

> I wonder if Hitch ever saw Cat People and what he thought of it?

>

> He probably did. Although, I've always wondered how much directors watched the films of their contemporaries.

Lewton was an uncredited story editor on REBECCA.

I've always thought these two directors shared a fascination (and sympathy with) psychologically fragile females.

> Yes, I believe Mark is far more sincere. His "Ollie" quickly emerges. He especially becomes this when he sees how tortured Marnie is. He turns from predator to protector. Is this not man? We start as one and, ideally, turn into the other?

>

Great point! Yes, "ideally" that is the natural progression. Sometimes it is the reverse, though!

> What did you do to Tweety?! interestingly, the "other woman" wins out in Cat People but not in The Birds.

>

Tweety was an obnoxious twit! My sympathies were always with Sylvester.

So true about "the other woman", wow! And Alice and Lil kind of have similar M.O.'s.

> I can certainly believe that. I also wonder if their egos could take watching the work of others.

I bet it brought out their competitiveness. I think Hitch must have watched some, since he knew enough of 70s cinema to decry its excesses. I suspect he probably followed European cinema. Ford was familiar with his friends' movies, like Hawks.

>

> Lewton was an uncredited story editor on REBECCA.

>

That's right! I totally forgot about his stint with Selznick.

> I've always thought these two directors shared a fascination (and sympathy with) psychologically fragile females.

They do! Maybe that is why I find their films of both to be among the most entertaining, yet emotionally satisfying, in the whole "genre" of suspense or mystery.

Good evening, Bronxilla -- Lewton was an uncredited story editor on REBECCA.

I never knew that! I wonder if Hitch ever met with him or if Lewton was a Selznick brownie, at that point.

I've always thought these two directors shared a fascination (and sympathy with) psychologically fragile females.

Now that's a fascinating observation. That's terrific. Lewton certainly showcases woman and her hauntings. I always thought of Hitch placing the focus more on man but, just in the past month, I've noticed more of a female angle. So I believe you are right.

Good evening, Hitchcock Blonde --Great point! Yes, "ideally" that is the natural progression. Sometimes it is the reverse, though!

Protector to predator? That's nefarious. Why are you looking at me? :P

Tweety was an obnoxious twit! My sympathies were always with Sylvester.

That's because you're a predator, Man Killer!

And Alice and Lil kind of have similar M.O.'s.

Hey, they do. At least Lil doesn't hide her desires to Mark. She's throwing herself at him. Alice is somewhat similar to Midge (Barbara Bel Geddes) in Vertigo.

I bet it brought out their competitiveness. I think Hitch must have watched some, since he knew enough of 70s cinema to decry its excesses. I suspect he probably followed European cinema. Ford was familiar with his friends' movies, like Hawks.

Hitch did make comments about the films of the 70s, so he was watching some then.

> Good evening, Hitchcock Blonde --Great point! Yes, "ideally" that is the natural progression. Sometimes it is the reverse, though!

>

> Protector to predator? That's nefarious. Why are you looking at me? :P

>

Why do you look so guilty! Those are feathers in your mouth!

>

> Hey, they do. At least Lil doesn't hide her desires to Mark. She's throwing herself at him. Alice is somewhat similar to Midge (Barbara Bel Geddes) in Vertigo.

>

Yes, they are though I find Lil more predatory, and Alice is this. In fact, they are both would-be "poachers" on another woman's turf.

> Hitch did make comments about the films of the 70s, so he was watching some then.

He probably had more time on his hands, poor thing.

Why do you look so guilty! Those are feathers in your mouth!

I'm innocent! I'm wearing a "fancy" white hat! :P

Yes, they are though I find Lil more predatory, and Alice is this. In fact, they are both would-be "poachers" on another woman's turf.

This is true. Scottie (James Stewart) wasn't married. Lil and Alice are after married chaps.

marnie24.jpg

catpeople9.jpg

marnie23.jpg