Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The World of Alfred Hitchcock

MissGoddess

I also want to point out that Herman Raucher (who wrote summer of '42) also makes Vertigo far more intense. His life is a living testimony that reveals the power and the sadness of Vertigo. Sadly, I can only explain this to people who has seen Summer of '42.

Do tell more Konway. *"Vertigo"* is one of my favorite films and it makes my heart ache. I saw *"Summer of '42"* when it was released. Enjoyed the film very much. I saw what you wrote in the other thread and I agree with you on the poignancy and beauty of Jennifer O'Neill. It all hinged on her. She was The Girl of boys' dreams.

Better film choices, more coaching on acting, I wished she had a better career. I dunno. She had something.

JENNIFERONEILL.jpg

SPOILERS

I just want to point out this - "This Post is about the similarities between Scottie in Vertigo and Herman Raucher (Hermie) in Summer of '42. So you can read it if you watched both films."

There are couple of differences between the film "Summer of '42" and real life incident that happened in the life of Herman Raucher in Summer of 1942. Unlike O'Neill's Dorothy, I found the real Dorothy to be extremely cruel. Probably as cruel as Gavin Elster in Vertigo. I don't think O'Neill's Dorothy in the film will leave Hermie in the end, because of some of the changes that were made in the film.

In real life, the relationship between Dorothy and Herman (Hermie in the film) was longer than what we see in the film version. In real life, Hermie helped to carry groceries twice. In the film, it only happens once. The real Dorothy was interested in everything Herman was doing. Like the film, Herman was the "only" friend Dorothy she had. In terms of discussion, it is evident that the relationship was much more closer. But in the film, the bonding between Dorothy and Hermie is far more stronger due to strong performances from O'Neill and Grimes.

Unlike the film version, Dorothy was "heavily" drinking in the real life. There were couple of other differences. But Herman did what he could to let Dorothy survive that miserable night, because Dorothy's condition was far more worse than we see in the film. He did that by sacrificing his own virginity and his own life. As you know, Dorothy leaves a letter for Herman when he comes to her home in the next morning. After that, Herman didn't know what happened to her. Now this is where the main points start.

Herman was severely depressed about not hearing from Dorothy. Herman himself said that the night incident was a traumatic event. After he lost Dorothy, Herman had a strange reaction where he dated every girl he could find whose name was Dorothy. Any girl named Dorothy he would try to take out. In Vertigo, Scottie loses Madeleine in the middle of the film. Scottie risked his own life while trying to save her in the middle of the film. But Scottie ended up losing her just like Herman losing Dorothy after all the sacrifices he did to let Dorothy survive that night. Like Herman, Scottie had a reaction where he would imagine any woman as Madeleine if she looked like Madeleine or dressed like Madeleine. We know that's how Scottie found Judy, because of her facial resemblance to Madeleine. Herman faced so many other sad incidents in his life. In her letter (before she left him), Dorothy said that she pray hermie will be spared all senseless tragedies. What Hermie faced after that was nothing but tragedies. Hermie's sister's fiancee died in 1944 when Hermie was 16. Hermie's father passed away when he was 20. Hermie's best friend Oscy died on Hermie's 24th birthday. Since the death of Oscy, Hermie was never able to celebrate a birthday again.

The real Dorothy's cruelty towards Herman is probably as cruel as Gavin Elster. After she left Hermie in 1942, she never bothered to contact Hermie again until after the release of the film (30 years after). In 1971/1972 letter, the real Dorothy said that she was happily married and she was a grandmother. She says that she was worried for years what she had done to Herman and his psyche. Yet, she never bothered to send him a letter after 1942 to make sure that he is doing alright or at least let him know that she is doing fine.

Herman waited with the hope that he will hear from Dorothy again. Herman didn't even know if his beloved Dorothy was dead or alive for the next 30 years (1942-1971/1972). After her 1971/1972 letter, the real Dorothy never contacted Herman again. That shows how much the real Dorothy cared for Hermie. Even in 2002 interview, Herman lamented never hearing from Dorothy again. He expressed hope that she is still alive in 2002 interview. Herman wanted to contact Dorothy. But he didn't know where to write to her, because Dorothy didn't reveal her address in her 1971/1972 letter to Herman. The only thing he knew was that the postmark was Canton, Ohio.

I also want to point out that I don't think Dorothy in the film version will abandon Hermie, because of some of the changes that ended up in the film. If you are interested, then I can explain them too.

Interesting Konway.

Looks like Herman Raucher tried to work out a happy ending for himself in fiction, that he was not able to have in real life. It's sad to see he tried to "find" Dorothy in every Dorothy he met. What was the age difference between the real Dorothy & Hermie; with the reel Dorothy and Hermie, wasn't there a six-year age difference...she was 22, 24 and Hermie was sixteen? I don't know if a twenty-two year old young woman would be interested in a sixteen year old boy. It's too bad Dorothy never stayed in contact with Raucher, but I understand it and it would be hopeful (and more healthy) for Mr. Raucher to understand that whatever the two of them had that night, the night she finds out her husband has been killed in the war, is not likely to result in a happily ever after ending for a high school boy. Seems he's idealized Dorothy and I guess I'm thinking with time and distance and maturity he'd realize that their relationship was not meant to be long-lasting.

It's sort of like being 'stuck' in the past, and re-living it over and over instead of recognizing it for what it is and moving on. Sometimes there's a sweetness...a bittersweetness to something unrequited. Sorry to hear of the tragedies in Mr. Raucher's life.

I hope Mr. Raucher has been able to go on to be married, have children...grandchildren and happiness. I can see where you're going comparing Hermie to Scottie. Dorothy certainly imprinted herself on Hermie. Makes me think of the Joan Fontaine/Louis Jourdan relationship in *"LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN."* For me, Hermie's was first love...puppy love. With Scottie, was it just puppy love? Or deeper b’cuz he was an adult? Or the same b'cuz he was in love...maybe for the first time. Sweet torture wanting what you can't have. What's the pay off in that?

Poor Scottie. Poor Hermie.

SPOILERS

The changes in Summer of '42 were made by Director Mulligan. He left it too open especially with Night Incident. But in my opinion, those changes made the film become far more powerful. I have to agree with you that Scottie's feelings in Vertigo are very deep. In Vertigo, Hitchcock explores into every little detail of scottie's feelings. Bernard Herrmann's score also intensifies the scenes. My favorite moments in Vertigo are the scenes where Scottie tries to find Madeleine by going to "every place" she went after the "tragedy"(especially art museum scene where Scottie looks at the woman with that lonely and sad cue by Herrmann). Bernard Herrmann's score for Vertigo is so powerful that I can even imagine what Hermie's feelings were when he tried to date "every girl" whom he could find whose name was Dorothy.

I also want to point out that when I watched Summer of '42 for the first time, I thought it was a puppy love. But when I watched the film the second time, I realized how deep Hermie's feelings were. For Example, there is a fight in the beginning of Summer of '42. Hermie's friends Oscy and Benjie took Hermie's feelings towards Dorothy as a joke. To Hermie, their jokes "almost" ruined any chance of getting to know Dorothy. He got so angry that he fought against them very badly. He still didn't give up even after he gets beaten up again and again. We even see lots of blood coming out of his nose. Even after all of that, we see that he is still very angry in the next morning.

Herman was only 14 years old in real life. In the film, the studio told Herman to change the age to 15. He never knew the age of Dorothy. He said she could have been 20 for all he knew. So she did look like a late teenager. The funny thing is Herman was like a man in a 14 year old's clothing. In the film version, we see that Dorothy admits she thought Hermie was older. Someone closer to her age. In the film, Jennifer O'Neill was 22 and Grimes was 15. Dorothy did treat Herman like an adult in both real life and in the film version. If we take a closer look in the film (just like the real incident), then we will notice that they "talk" like they are same age through conversation. For Example, they laugh at the same jokes. In real life, Dorothy was interested in what Herman was doing. What he was studying and was he playing baseball on a team? Herman himself admits that they had effected a strange relationship.

One of the things that I noticed about the real life incident was Herman's worries. Unlike the film, Dorothy was heavily drunk and "later" began to imagine Hermie as her husband, because of the music played in the phonograph record. But she knew in her heart it was Hermie. When Hermie came into her house at that night, she comes out of her room sadly and said "Hi, Hermie." After that, she plays the music in the record. After she falls on to Hermie for comfort, she begins to imagine Hermie as her husband after that. To make the situation worse, there was a sea right outside her house. With her horrible condition in real life, I am sure this might have worried Herman deeply. If Herman wasn't there, she could have easily ended up in the sea. But the big mistake Dorothy made was leaving secretly at that night and left Herman a letter saying that she will remember him. And she never bothered to remember him until after the release of the film. In her 1971 letter, she even admits that she might have traumatized him and yet didn't do anything about it. Herman did get married. But only 18 years after the incident.

The sad thing is Herman lamented that he never heard from her again after 1971 & expressed hope that she was still alive even in 2002 interview. That's so many years after the incident. That really shows the depth of his feelings for her in real life. Its sad that Dorothy abandoned her "only" help and her "only" friend in her lonely and most miserable days. I don't think she would even have a future family without Herman considering the shock and horrible condition she was in during that night.

I do think this also has some connections to Gavin Elster, because he "used" his "old friend" Scottie to get what he wanted. Through this, he ended up pushing Scottie into the world of total destruction. That is heart breaking. When Dorothy left Hermie in 1942 and never contacted him for decades (after all the "help" he gave to her), she "almost" pushed him into the world of destruction. She lived happily with a new family while Herman suffered deeply for years. This is somewhat like Gavin ditching Judy after he got what he wanted.

But there is a happy ending to it. What Dorothy failed to realize was the only way she can exist in the present and the future is only through Hermie, because of his script for the film and the book. Dorothy never revealed her last name. So the only way to identify this Dorothy is only through Hermie. Hermie's Dorothy. So in a way, she completely belongs to Hermie now and probably forever.

People might say Vertigo is silly or more like a fantasy. But when we take a closer look, it is far more deeper than we could imagine. And I think the story of Herman's life only makes Vertigo even more intense. Like Hitchcock said as a joke, "Films are slices of life. Mine are slices of cake."

SPOILERS (contains the main plot points of Vertigo and Summer of '42)

"Sweet torture wanting what you can't have. What's the pay off in that?"

I wouldn't say about torture being sweet. I myself have severe allergies. Its absolutely horrible. Anyway, back to the subject.

Let me take Vertigo. After that, I will explain Summer of '42. Gavin Elster is what I call "an evil genius." He knew the weaknesses of Scottie. He completely knew that Scottie is not married and a lonely man who is psychologically disturbed, because of his extreme fear of heights and also his guilt feelings about the death of the cop. Gavin himself says that he read the incident in the papers. Scottie was recovering and didn't want to go back into the detective business. But Gavin pushed Scottie into it just to get what he wants by destroying his own wife. We must also note that Gavin is trying to get what he wants by both "destroying his wife and also by pushing Scottie into a complete psychological torture."

Scottie's intentions were exactly opposite. He "first" tries to save Madeleine and they both end up falling in love. Unlike Gavin, He tries "to save" Madeleine and reaches to a point where he ends becoming "obsessed" with her. When he tried to save Madeleine, his intention was not only in helping her to "survive", but also saving himself from the torture of guilt feeling (the death of the cop) that haunted him for a while. Scottie is an emotionally disturbed man who is "struggling" to survive. But Gavin is a "healthy" and "selfish" man who tries to get what he wants by destroying his wife and Scottie. So he is the one who is "wanting" to get something he "really" isn't supposed to get. But he was able to succeed with his plans by destroying his wife and also pushing Scottie into a severe

danger.

In "the real life incident" of Summer of '42, Hermie seriously fell in love with the real Dorothy. But he "completely" understood that she had a husband. So he always wanted to stay with Dorothy as friends, because he understood that he can't have her. But he wanted to stay in touch with her as friends. There is nothing in wrong with that. Their relationship started when the real Dorothy needed help. Back in those days, everybody had a "wagon" to carry groceries that were in paper bags. Dorothy had no wagon. Dorothy had lots of groceries and she couldn't carry it. Hermie saw her difficulties and helped her. When he first helped Dorothy carry groceries, her husband was there at home. After her husband left, Hermie was the only help and the only friend she had. He came for help whenever she needed help. Dorothy was very interested in Hermie. She wanted to know everything he was doing. But at that night, Dorothy was in a horrifying state. So Hermie stayed there to make sure that she won't do anything that will put herself in danger, because she was heavily drinking and was in a very shocking state. Hermie risked his own life to make sure that she will be alright. Although Dorothy knew it was Hermie, still she tried to imagine him as her husband and made love to him. After that night, Dorothy left a letter to him saying that she will remember him and she will pray Hermie will be spared from all senseless tragedies and she only wishes good things for Hermie. It was a letter that expressed her "deep gratitude" to Hermie. But Hermie wanted to keep "in touch" with her as a friend. Dorothy knew that she left Hermie in a shock. In 1971/1972 letter, she herself admitted that that she might have traumatized Hermie and she also might have damaged him psychologically. But she didn't bother to send him at least a letter just to make sure that her old friend was doing alright and also let him know that she is doing fine. But she did nothing. She herself admitted that she made the mistake.

Hermie didn't even know if she was dead or alive for 30 years. That's horrible. I myself know that feeling, because its like a never ending pain. Dorothy knew where Hermie lived. She only contacted him after 30 years and only after the release of the film. She revealed in her 1971 letter that she was happily remarried and she was a grandmother. She left her "old friend" in shock for her own selfish reasons just like Gavin left Scottie in a shocking state for his own selfish reasons. After 1971 letter, she never contacted him again. Anyway, Since this is a Hitchcock thread, what do you think about Vertigo and Elster's evil deeds? Don't you think its horrible?

MissGoddess wrote: Season Five of *"Alfred Hitchcock Presents"* is finally being released on DVD in January. This is the season that has Steve McQueen as one of the guest stars. Also guesting are Laurence Harvey, Brian Keith, Peter Lorre, William Shatner, and in one episode I've never seen, Dick Van Dyke!

Thank you, MissGoddess, for helping me find the episode I've been looking for. It's The Day of the Bullet from Season 5 and when they make it available on line I'll be able to see it again. This is the one with a young Barry Gordon that gave me nightmares back in 60.

> Thank you, MissGoddess, for helping me find the episode I've been looking for. It's The Day of the Bullet from Season 5 and when they make it available on line I'll be able to see it again. This is the one with a young Barry Gordon that gave me nightmares back in 60.

I can imagine, it seems to be filmed from the perspective of a child so that would make more of an impact. It's an interesting episode about childhood illusions and how adults can unwittingly shatter them.

Hi, Konway -- I've seen the first three seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but I only ranked seasons two and three. Here's my list:

1. Fog Closing In (2-2) 5/5

2. Toby (2-6) 5

3. A Little Sleep (2-38) 5

4. My Brother, Richard (2-17) 4

5. Crackpot (2-15) 4

6. The Foghorn (3-24) 4

7. The Crocodile Case (3-34) 4

8. Wet Saturday (2-1) 4

9. De Mortuis (2-3) 4

10. The Canary Sedan (3-37) 4

11. Lamb to the Slaughter (3-28) 4

12. The Glass Eye (3-1) 4

13. Crack of Doom (2-9) 4

14. John Brown's Body (2-14) 4

15. Nightmare in 4-D (2-16) 4

16. Reward to Finder (3-6) 4

17. One for the Road (2-23) 4

18. The Motive (3-17) 4

19. Enough Rope for Two (3-7) 4

20. The Percentage (3-14) 4

21. The Equalizer (3-19) 3

22. The Return of the Hero (3-22) 3

23. Together (3-15) 3

24. A Bottle of Wine (2-19) 3

25. One More Mile to Go (2-28) 3

26. The Night the World Ended (2-31) 3

27. The Dangerous People (2-39) 3

28. Father and Son (2-36) 3

29. The Rose Garden (2-12) 3

30. The Deadly (3-11) 3

31. Disappearing Trick (3-27) 3

32. Miss Paisley's Cat (3-12) 3

33. The Young One (3-9) 3

34. Guest for Breakfast (3-21) 3

35. Post Mortem (3-33) 3

36. Heart of Gold (3-4) 3

37. On the Nose (3-20) 3

38. The Right Kind of House (3-23) 3

39. The Mail Order Prophet (3-2) 3

40. The End of Indian Summer (2-22) 3

41. The Manacled (2-18) 3

42. Mr. Blanchard's Secret (2-13) 3

43. Last Request (3-8) 3

44. Little White Frock (3-39) 3

45. Sylvia (3-16) 3

46. Flight to the East (3-25) 3

47. The Impromptu Murder (3-38) 3

48. The Better Bargain (2-11) 3

50. 49. Night of the Execution (3-13) 3

51. Death Sentence (3-30) 3

52. I Killed the Count/Part One (2-25) 2

53. Silent Witness (3-5) 2

54. The Safe Place (3-36) 2

55. The Perfect Crime (3-3) 2

56. Conversation over a Corpse (2-8) 2

57. None Are So Blind (2-5) 2

58. Kill with Kindness (2-4) 2

59. Jonathan (2-10) 2

60. The Cream of the Jest (2-24) 2

61. Vicious Circle (2-29) 2

62. Malice Domestic (2-20) 2

63. I Killed the Count/Part Two (2-26) 2

64. A Man Greatly Beloved (2-33) 2

65. The Festive Season (3-31) 2

66. The Diplomatic Corpse (3-10) 2

67. I Killed the Count/Part Three (2-27) 2

68. Martha Mason, Movie Star (2-34) 2

69. Alibi Me (2-7) 2

70. The Hands of Mr. Ottermole (2-32) 1

71. The Three Dreams of Mr. Findlater (2-30) 1

72. Dip in the Pool (3-35) 1

73. Miss Bracegirdle Does Her Duty (3-18) 1

74. The Indestructible Mr. Weems (2-37) 1

75. The West Warlock Time Capsule (2-35) 1

76. Bull in a China Shop (3-26) 1

77. Fatal Figures (3-29) 1

78. Listen, Listen.....! (3-32) 1

79. Number Twenty-Two (2-21) 1

These are my favorites by season, Konway. Those that have fewer listings are because I haven't watched those seasons recently and I can't remember them all too well. Season 5 is still fresh in my mind. I haven't included "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" one hour shows, of which many are also great. You can see most of those on Hulu.com.

*Season 1*

1. Revenge Season 1, Episode 1

2. The Case of Mr. Pelham Season 1, Episode 10

3. Breakdown Season 1, Episode 7

4. Portrait of Jocelyn, Season 1, Episode 28

5. And So Died Riabouchinska Season 1, Episode 20

6. The Legacy, Season 1, Episode 35

*Season 2*

1. One More Mile to Go, Season 2, Episode 28

2. Crackpot, Season 2, Episode 15

3. My Brother Richard, Season 2, Episode 17

4. Jonathan Season 2, Episode 10

5. The Better Bargain, Season 2, Episode 11

*Season 3*

1. The Glass Eye Season 3, Episode 1

2. The Foghorn Season 3, Episode 24

3. Lamb to the Slaughter Season 3, Episode 23

4. Sylvia Season 3, Episode 13

*Season 4*

1. The Morning of the Bride Season 4, Episode 19

2. Human Interest Story Season 4, Episode 32

3. The Crooked Road Season 4, Episode 4

4. The Waxwork Season 4, Episode 27

*Season 5*

1. Cell 227 Season 5, Episode 34

2. No Pain Season 5, Episode 5

3. The Crystal Trench Season 5, Episode 2

4. Mother, May I Go Out to Swim? Season 5, Episode 26

5. The Cuckoo Clock Season 5, Episode 27

6. Road Hog Season 5 Episode 11

7. Man from the South Season 5, Episode 15

8. Hooked Season 5, Episode 38

I just viewed the hour long episode with Lillian Gish and it was delightful. Almost as in-depth a performance as her appearance in *Night of the Hunter.*

She was such an accomplished performer. I just found her autobiography at a used book store and can't wait to get to it.

One of the things that I really liked about watching these Hitchcock productions was all the different stars who worked in them. You really get a wide variety of movie and TV personalities. And from what I have read, the actors loved working in them and gave top-notch performances. What a treat to watch!

On Location with Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo

MovieMorlock Kimberly Lindbergs' article and interview with Klara Tavakoli Goesche, creator of a new video which takes the viewer on a tour of locations used in Vertigo, including the Empire Hotel, now the Vertigo Hotel (I want to stay there!).

TCM Morlocks Article:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2012/05/10/on-location-with-alfred-hitchcocks-vertigo/

Klara's video:

Hi Miss G.. I've checked out the mini-tour and it was cute and informative. I'm going to have to check out those sights myself. I'll be reading the Morlock's article a little later.

You really do find interesting items. Thanx for posting! :-)

P.S. I'm also checking out "THE VIOLENT MEN." I thought Babsy was going to be nice...until I saw her kiss Brian Keith. NOW it's gettin' interesting. Thanxx for that heads up.

It's now likely that actor John Gavin will not be part of or represented in the upcoming film "Hitchcock" - The Making of Psycho. Filming is now underway. So far, no official word or explanation has emerged over this issue that for many fans is rather strange, if not, might be considered an absurdity, since Gavin played a major role during the making of the classic film.

SPOILERS

I don't know if I mentioned this before. But I am writing it again.

As you all know, Hitchcock also put symbolisms and references in his film.

Although Rope (1948) was based on the play by Patrick Hamilton, still it may have been also based on an incident that happened in Alfred Hitchcock's life.

There was an assassination scene in Hitchcock's film Foreign Correspondent (1940). It was the scene where the killer shot the man with the gun right next to the camera. Two years after the release of Foreign Correspondent, Hitchock heard that this assassination scene was copied in real life to kill someone at a place called Tarahan. This incident was mentioned by Alfred Hitchcock in "Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder." Ever since that incident, Hitchcock regretted making this scene. This was the "only scene" that Hitchcock regretted making, because of the incident that happened in Tarahan. This was revealed in the interview with Tom Snyder.

What do you think about it, everyone? By the way, Did I mention about Edgar Allan Poe references in Marnie before? I know I have mentioned Vampire references in Shadow of A Doubt long time ago in this forum.

That's interesting. So a man (James Stewart) realizes to his horror that this "premise" that he loves to spout off about to his idolizing students is suddenly taken literally with tragic consequences. Very possible!

I don't remember the Poe-Marnie discussion. I can't even imagine!

> {quote:title=konway87 wrote:}{quote}

>

> There was an assassination scene in Hitchcock's film Foreign Correspondent (1940). It was the scene where the killer shot the man with the gun right next to the camera. Two years after the release of Foreign Correspondent, Hitchock heard that this assassination scene was copied in real life to kill someone at a place called Tarahan.

>

Perhaps Hitchcock was the first to use it, but the gun hidden in the camera has been used in many films. I recall one instance of modern use - in real life. After 9/11, but, (IIRC,) before we declared victory in Afghanistan, the leader of the Afghanis' Northern Alliance, (Masood, IIRC,) who was our ally against the Taliban, was killed that way by a guy (Taliban, I think,) pretending to be a reporter, pretending to film Masood.

I seem to recall the gun in a camera being used on a race horse in a 1930s detective film, too.