Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The World of Alfred Hitchcock

MissGoddess

I forgot about the sunlight streaming through the breaking clouds...does that mean a hopeful sign, at last??

Yes, that's my view. Melanie and Mitch's love for each other are put to a serious test but I feel Hitch is saying they've made it through that test. Unscathed? Hardly.

"Melanie Daniels" is definitely one of the most interesting characters in Hitchdom. Not too many undergo a transformation as she does.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I forgot about the sunlight streaming through the breaking clouds...does that mean a hopeful sign, at last??

>

> Yes, that's my view. Melanie and Mitch's love for each other are put to a serious test but I feel Hitch is saying they've made it through that test. Unscathed? Hardly.

>

You've said before how you regard it as a relationship movie, more than just a "horror" story or some "apocalyptic" tale of nature revenging itself on mankind. That's very interesting. I don't think I've ever read such a point of view about it before. You ought to write up a real analysis about that.

> "Melanie Daniels" is definitely one of the most interesting characters in Hitchdom. Not too many undergo a transformation as she does.

I never thought about it, quite honestly, like that. But you are right. She starts out a rather smug social butterfly and ends up not only falling in love for real, but getting it from all kinds of birds, including the future mother-in-law type.

But why does she have to get attacked so viciously by the birds? I find that harsh.

You've said before how you regard it as a relationship movie, more than just a "horror" story or some "apocalyptic" tale of nature revenging itself on mankind. That's very interesting. I don't think I've ever read such a point of view about it before. You ought to write up a real analysis about that.

I was, remember. And, yes, I believe the film is definitely a relationship film.

I never thought about it, quite honestly, like that. But you are right. She starts out a rather smug social butterfly and ends up not only falling in love for real, but getting it from all kinds of birds, including the future mother-in-law type.

Right. Melanie is so proud of herself. She thinks she's the greatest catch of all and is always in control of her world. Well...

But why does she have to get attacked so viciously by the birds? I find that harsh.

Because women can be terribly vicious towards other women.

One of my favorite kisses in film history (there's a thread for you) is in The Birds:

thebirds1-2.jpg

The kiss speaks volumes to me in regards to what Melanie now wants and desires versus what she originally wanted and desired.

>

> I was, remember. And, yes, I believe the film is definitely a relationship film.

>

You should finish it!

>

> Right. Melanie is so proud of herself. She thinks she's the greatest catch of all and is always in control of her world. Well...

>

Yes, everything was for laughs. Everyone and everything was a joke to her.

>

> Because women can be terribly vicious towards other women.

>

Oh brother, no one has to tell me that. In that respect, I've been in Melanie's shoes many times. :D

> One of my favorite kisses in film history (there's a thread for you) is in The Birds:

>

> thebirds1-2.jpg

>

> The kiss speaks volumes to me in regards to what Melanie now wants and desires versus what she originally wanted and desired.

But it's like as soon as she finds what she really wants, the whole world comes down around her ears. Maybe it's better she stayed back there where she was, playing in that fountain!

You should finish it!

Those were days when I had some ambition!

Yes, everything was for laughs. Everyone and everything was a joke to her.

Uh-huh. What Melanie wants, Melanie gets. That's the mindset. Well...

Oh brother, no one has to tell me that. In that respect, I've been in Melanie's shoes many times.

You deserve it!

But it's like as soon as she finds what she really wants, the whole world comes down around her ears. Maybe it's better she stayed back there where she was, playing in that fountain!

:D That's the decision of single life or married life. When you look to marry someone, you don't just marry them. Oh, no. You end up marrying their family and friends.

>

> Those were days when I had some ambition!

>

Oh, please, it was last year!

> You deserve it!

>

Thanks.

> :D That's the decision of single life or married life. When you look to marry someone, you don't just marry them. Oh, no. You end up marrying their family and friends.

But that's not answering my question. Why does the world fall down around her when she falls in love? It seems to be saying it's better to remain shallow! And I thought it was the man who gets "hen pecked" when he marries!

Oh, please, it was last year!

It was more than two years ago!

But that's not answering my question. Why does the world fall down around her when she falls in love? It seems to be saying it's better to remain shallow! And I thought it was the man who gets "hen pecked" when he marries!

Because love often isn't as easy as everyone thinks it to be. There are outside forces that can make it very difficult on a couple. Keep in mind, Melanie is being judged for what kind of a woman she is. In a way, this is a retelling of Easy Virtue.

> Oh, please, it was last year!

>

> It was more than two years ago!

>

So what, that's no time at all!

>

> Because love often isn't as easy as everyone thinks it to be. There are outside forces that can make it very difficult on a couple. Keep in mind, Melanie is being judged for what kind of a woman she is. In a way, this is a retelling of Easy Virtue.

It's not easy but this makes it out to be hell! That's an interesting comparison to Easy Virtue. But the only one who seems to be against her is Jessica Tandy. And the crazy woman in the diner.

So what, that's no time at all!

That's a lifetime ago!

It's not easy but this makes it out to be hell!

This is true.

That's an interesting comparison to Easy Virtue. But the only one who seems to be against her is Jessica Tandy. And the crazy woman in the diner.

Right. But I believe there is more at work against her, including some of her own issues, such as jealousy. But, you are right, it's mostly about Lydia (Jessica Tandy) and Melanie (Tippi Hedren). Mitch (Rod Taylor) is a mama's boy.

> Right. But I believe there is more at work against her, including some of her own issues, such as jealousy. But, you are right, it's mostly about Lydia (Jessica Tandy) and Melanie (Tippi Hedren). Mitch (Rod Taylor) is a mama's boy.

So why do the birds attack the kids and everyone else?

Oooh...so you're equating (in the film) "Mother" with "Mother nature"?

Yes. It's a "mother" film. A "mother-in-law" film. I wonder how Hitch got along with his? No woman is good enough for Lydia's Mitch, especially a woman such as Melanie.

Sounds like a jealous, possessive woman to me, Annie. :D

Annie (Suzanne Pleshette) even warns Melanie of Lydia. She knows the deal.

The character of Lydia doesn't even exist in the DuMaurier story, from what I recall, so you may be right.

Now that's quite interesting.

>

> Annie (Suzanne Pleshette) even warns Melanie of Lydia. She knows the deal.

>

That conversation always confuses me. What Annie describes about Lydia sounds to me just what Melanie concluded, but she denies that. I don't understand what she's getting at.

That conversation always confuses me. What Annie describes about Lydia sounds to me just what Melanie concluded, but she denies that. I don't understand what she's getting at.

What do you mean?

Here are my past posts on The Birds. I don't think I ever got to the discussion between Annie and Melanie.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=120623&start=270&tstart=0

> That conversation always confuses me. What Annie describes about Lydia sounds to me just what Melanie concluded, but she denies that. I don't understand what she's getting at.

>

> What do you mean?

>

> Here are my past posts on The Birds. I don't think I ever got to the discussion between Annie and Melanie.

>

Annie describes Lydia and what Melanie can expect, and Melanie replies that she thinks it adds up to a jealous, possessive woman but Annie says no, she's not. I didn't understand, because I agree with Melanie. I think Annie was too deep for us blondes. :D

Annie describes Lydia and what Melanie can expect, and Melanie replies that she thinks it adds up to a jealous, possessive woman but Annie says no, she's not. I didn't understand, because I agree with Melanie. I think Annie was too deep for us blondes.

:D I believe Annie is saying Lydia is most afraid to be alone. She just lost her husband, and if Mitch were to get married, he would "leave" her. As it stands now, Mitch is still around, at least during the weekend. He's the man of the house. Without him, there's no man of the house.

thebirds2.jpg

thebirds3.jpg

thebirds4.jpg

>

> :D I believe Annie is saying Lydia is most afraid to be alone. She just lost her husband, and if Mitch were to get married, he would "leave" her. As it stands now, Mitch is still around, at least during the weekend. He's the man of the house. Without him, there's no man of the house.

>

But Annie then denies that Lydia is afraid of losing Mitch, but instead resents what a woman may "give Mitch". What does that mean?!

But Annie then denies that Lydia is afraid of losing Mitch, but instead resents what a woman may "give Mitch". What does that mean?!

Annie explains it. Lydia is afraid Melanie (or Annie) would provide Mitch with love, thus superceding Lydia's love. There's a mother's love and then there's the love of a wife. Much different. Lydia would no longer be the most important woman in Mitch's life. The bird would leave the nest.

thebirds5.jpg

> But Annie then denies that Lydia is afraid of losing Mitch, but instead resents what a woman may "give Mitch". What does that mean?!

>

> Annie explains it. Lydia is afraid Melanie (or Annie) would provide Mitch with love, thus superceding Lydia's love. Lydia would no longer be the most important woman in Mitch's life.

>

OK....I forgot about that line of Annie's.

So why did Annie have to...have what happened to her????