Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Stars in Advertisements

> {quote:title=Ustinov48 wrote:}{quote}

> They actually sell RC here in Ohio, and serve it at our local Dairy Queen, funny, huh?

And I haven't been to a Dairy Queen since I was a kid. I used to love their chocolate milk shakes.

gasp!

Those are stunning! I love the Clair Trevor and the Alice Adams styles.... but all of them could be incredibly cool for today if you are into vintage looks!

Now do you have that pattern in a size 114?

Honestly, can you imagine a size 16 of today with a 34 bust?

Frances Gifford and Anita Louise look so pretty. And the patterns of Claire Trevor's and Priscilla Lane's dress look great.

But of course...my heart belongs to Margaret Lindsay. Yay!!! Thanxx for posting that, C.F..

Some of the DVD catalogues have one of 1,000 Classic TV Commercials for about $20.00 and others might. After all the fun I've had on this thread, I might try and get it. The only current one I can think of I never miss is the J. G. Wentworth Viking Opera; that's a worthy successor to our old favorites here.

I have an ad I got on e-bay some years back. It's from a 1950 magazine and features Linda Darnell hawking Chesterfield's (I think). Linda looks glamorous and stunning in a red off the shoulder or strapless gown. I have another where she is wearing a long dress in an ad for Lux from 1951. She doesn't look so stunning in this one however, because I think her hairstyle (short curls framing her face) made her face look too round. I have them laminated so I don't think I can scan and post them on here.

thank you cinemanfan. I have both the ads for Camels and Chesterfields, but confused them, and meant the Camels ad earlier.

The Rheinhold's Beer ad had unforeseen consequences for Linda. It was done in 1953 at her house in Bel Air, CA. After this ad, she started secretly dating the heir to this fortune, Philip Rheinhold. Later, after much persistence on Philip's part,in 1954 they were married. She gave up filmmaking for the duration (approximately 2 years), and moved to New York. But the role of a trophy wife did not suit her, especially since she despised him and was not physically attracted to him. He was good to her, but she loathed herself for having entered into a loveless marriage, apparently for security.

When she returned to Hollywood, she found the going tough for an actress in her 30s.

These ads bring up the question which I've never seen adequately answered. Just when did people start to realize that cigarettes weren't necessarily that good for you? I believe I've seen films as early as the '30s in which one character says to another, "You smoke too much".

Edited by: finance on Apr 22, 2010 3:26 PM

finance: The "you smoke too much" line is said to the bride in the wedding scene from On the Waterfront back in 1954. I'd not be surprised to find it was used before that. The anti-smoking drum began beating when I was a kid in the mid 50's and continues to this day. I'm mostly in favor of them but think it is going too far; the next thing you won't be able to in your home unless you live alone. Oops, did I give the smoke police ideas?

Edited by: wouldbestar on Apr 22, 2010 9:18 PM

All I know is that my dad quit smoking in the sixties because he realized how harmful they were. He smoked Pall Malls, which I think were pretty strong. I've heard cigarettes referred to as "coffin nails" in older movies. Everyone did these ads - doctors, sports figures.

lucilleball-phillipmorris.JPG

marlene_dietrichlucky_strike_ad.jpg

picture6_1.jpg

picture11_1.jpg

old-smoking-ads-0.jpg