Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

The phrase "primal scream" (the definition of which I actually did not know at the time) used by the critic reviewing Lennon's solo debut indelibly stuck in my mind like doggie-doo on the bottom of a sho . . .

In the first 1979 Rolling Stone Record Guide, the critic reviewing LENNON's albums when discussing Plastic Ono Band pointed out that the "primal scream" dated the record (then only 8 years old).  Yet whoever that critic was gave Plastic Ono Band five stars.  The last Rolling Stone Album Guide (as it now styles itself...2005?) also awarded the album five stars.  For what it's worth.   It's also worth pointing out that nobody ever liked Sometime In New York City...   both LENNON and McCARTNEY took major swipes for solo albums.  Sgt Pepper rates higher in the later book than in the first.   I've always found music criticism interesting, but never compelling.  Perhaps informative. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

It's also worth pointing out that nobody ever liked Sometime In New York City... 

Sometime in New York City never made it into my music library.  However -- and here I go tripping down Memory Lane again . . .

It's 1972, and I'm in my '67 VW Bug, windows down, driving through the streets of downtown Los Angeles, and blasting this militant Lennon-Ono outcry from stereo speakers:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "It's 1972, and I'm in my '67 VW Bug, windows down, driving through the streets of downtown Los Angeles, and blasting this militant Lennon-Ono outcry from stereo speakers..."

 Ten years later young guys such as myself were blasting the "primal screams" of politically incorrect punk around Los Angeles:     

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 


 

45 minutes ago, NoShear said:

 Ten years later young guys such as myself were blasting the "primal screams" of politically incorrect punk around Los Angeles:     

 

It's New Year's Eve 1979.

En route to a NYE Punk Rock concert at the historic Olympic Auditorium,  a friend of mine and I were mugged (details available upon request).

Performing at the concert: Black Flag, Fear, Green on Red, and X.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "It's New Year's Eve 1979. 

En route to a NYE Punk Rock concert at the historic Olympic Auditorium,  a friend of mine and I were mugged (details available upon request).

Performing at the concert: Black Flag, Fear, Green on Red, and X."

 I can't summon an image of a flyer for this show: Please provide, Eucalyptus P. Millstone...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "En route to a NYE Punk Rock concert at the historic Olympic Auditorium,  a friend of mine and I were mugged..."

 

 I think it was THE DECLINE of western civilization's Penelope Spheeris who was quoted as saying that hardcore punk really couldn't thrive in New York because some seasoned street thug would just stab you, casually wipe off his bloody blade and go about his business.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NoShear said:

 I can't summon an image of a flyer for this show: Please provide, Eucalyptus P. Millstone...

Ditto. I can't find the gig on concert lists for the bands.

A memorable night for several reasons:

  • The aforementioned mugging.
     
  • Seeing a punker covered in blood and smiling like an idiot, return to friends in the seats after having been on the floor Slam-dancing (the stupidest dance style EVER!).
     
  • It was the day before 1980 and the conservative "Reagan Revolution" began.

18th and Grand: The Olympic Auditorium Story

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "Seeing a punker covered in blood and smiling like an idiot, return to friends in the seats after having been on the floor Slam-dancing (the stupidest dance style EVER!)."

 I'm no goon or toughie, but I admit that I was one of those young guys who would go to school or work the next day and brag: "Look, I got hurt at the STARWOOD last night"!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "Ditto. I can't find the gig on concert lists for the bands."

 Is it possible the show was actually two years later:

                                                                                                                     hqdefault.jpg

???

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NoShear said:

 Is it possible the show was actually two years later:

                                                                                                                     hqdefault.jpg

???

NoShear,

It's possible. I searched the Web for "Olympic Auditorium, New Year's Eve 1979" and came up with zilch. So it's entirely possible that I mixed up the dates.

I distinctly remember that Green on Red was one of the advertised bands. Because I'd never heard of -- or heard -- Green on Red. I was familiar with Black Flag, Fear, and X -- although not actually a fan of any of those bands (and Punk Rock, for that matter).

It's possible that not all of the advertised bands played that New Year's Eve gig. Perhaps there were substitutions.

Although I wasn't really into Punk Rock, I did dig this tune, which got a lot of radio play in L.A. (probably on KROQ) by X.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

NoShear,

It's possible. I searched the Web for "Olympic Auditorium, New Year's Eve 1979" and came up with zilch. So it's entirely possible that I mixed up the dates.

I distinctly remember that Green on Red was one of the advertised bands. Because I'd never heard of -- or heard -- Green on Red. I was familiar with Black Flag, Fear, and X -- although not actually a fan of any of those bands (and Punk Rock, for that matter).

It's possible that not all of the advertised bands played that New Year's Eve gig. Perhaps there were substitutions.

Although I wasn't really into Punk Rock, I did dig this tune, which got a lot of radio play in L.A. (probably on KROQ) by X.

 

 For me, the entire album:     

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NoShear said:

For me, the entire album

I am not a true Punk fan, but I owned a few (dozen) back in the day and some albums sink in.  For me, Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables immediately comes to mind.  Around 1980 records went through a lot of changes, you name it.   X Los Angeles was one of those remarkable memorable records. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Re: "I am not a true Punk fan, but I owned a few (dozen) back in the day..."

 As Eucalyptus P. Millstone, seemingly a connoisseur of far reaching styles of music in his own right, already pointed out: You possess quite the expanse of listening tastes, Allhallowsday!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NoShear said:

 As Eucalyptus P. Millstone, seemingly a connoisseur of far reaching styles of music in his own right, already pointed out: You possess quite the expanse of listening tastes, Allhallowsday!

Okay, thanks. 

Ironically, today I am listening to Opera which is the least represented in my collection.  (I do have vinyl I can't listen to, including a cool boxed set with part of the demolished Opera House's curtain)!  This CD is all I have:  Opera's Golden Moments

R-8937248-1471823704-4729.jpeg.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, NoShear said:

 As Eucalyptus P. Millstone, seemingly a connoisseur of far reaching styles of music in his own right, already pointed out: You possess quite the expanse of listening tastes, Allhallowsday!

When Allhallowsday first came on this forum it wasn't long because someone asked him if he was a disk jockey or some other profession in the music industry since his listening tastes were so broad.       Impressive indeed.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

 Impressive indeed.  

Tastes are easy to develop.  Now playing an instrument takes TALENT.  You play guitar in a Jazz band?   That takes talent!  I'm impressed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "When Allhallowsday first came on this forum it wasn't long because someone asked him if he was a disk jockey or some other profession in the music industry since his listening tastes were so broad."

  Yes, I was thinking a proprietor of a music shop, jamesjazzguitar.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Re: "Tastes are easy to develop.  Now playing an instrument takes TALENT.  You play guitar in a Jazz band?   That takes talent!  I'm impressed."

 Taking nothing away from your range, but don't you just hate him, Allhallowsday??

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NoShear said:

don't you just hate him, Allhallowsday??

Yer funny, but no, I like him.  I have noticed James has great music taste and knowledge.  We also seem to agree on other topics.  Like, the movie JFK is nonsense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Tastes are easy to develop.  Now playing an instrument takes TALENT.  You play guitar in a Jazz band?   That takes talent!  I'm impressed.

I appreciate the complement.      Yea,  I play in a jazz band but not as a pro;  I just play art houses and other places (mostly private parties),  for no pay.   

I'm not so sure how much talent I have.     I grew up with an Asian tiger-mom and she forced playing an instrument on my older brother and I.  At age 10 I played the violin and took lessons  (from a violist in the NBC orchestra who can be heard in the theme music on Bonanza).       Mom was a beast,  and I would be disciplined if I couldn't keep up with the lessons.    So I learned music theory and slight reading.     Once I became a teen rebel, at 16 ,  I ran away from home and I wasn't interested in playing any instruments.    It wasn't until I was 20 or so that I picked up a guitar since my roommate was a college jazz musician.       I didn't feel I was a guitarist, especially a jazz guitarist,  until I was in my early 30s.    

Bottom line;  it took a lot effort and discipline since I believe I lacked so called natural talent.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...