Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

28 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Re: Yer funny, but no, I like him.  I have noticed James has great music taste and knowledge.  We also seem to agree on other topics.  Like, the movie JFK is nonsense."

Yeah, he's one of the good guys. I was gonna type "You're, too", but then you had to go and take another swipe at JFK!

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Yeah, he's one of the good guys. I was gonna type "You're, too", but then you had to go and take another swipe at JFK!

It's only recent memory and I wanted James to see it.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

lacked so called natural talent.

Same thing has been said about PAUL McCARTNEY as a bassist, maybe even by himself, but he has recorded some wonderful bass lines... silly song, awesome bass line:

I have zero musical talent.

When I was in middle school, I was briefly in the junior high school orchestra, on trumpet . . . which I played very badly. First tune learned: I Love You Truly, which I horribly and contemptibly mangled. I was such a sloppy player that my trumpet had an "incontinence problem," requiring the water key (spit valve) to be constantly "relieved."

Around that time, Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass was the arguable Numero Uno brass band. Alpert was my inspiration. But no amount of dedication and perspiration from me was ever going to cure my musical ineptitude.

Ultimately deciding that the trumpet wasn't cool enough, I traded it in for an acoustic guitar . . . because then "every" young boy wanted to be a Rocker and be chased by impassioned, concupiscent girls -- y'know, like The Beatles were. But again and alas, Rock stardom was not to be. For one thing, I couldn't hack the steel strings on my axe ('twas I who was [not so] gently weeping, not my guitar). For another thing . . . as a musician, I was a  hopeless flop.

That said, I play a mean kazoo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Same thing has been said about PAUL McCARTNEY as a bassist, maybe even by himself, but he has recorded some wonderful bass lines... silly song, awesome bass line:

If I correctly recall reading, Paul McCartney was quoted as saying he appreciated those who thought enough to put him on the top of music polls, but he was not a virtuoso on bass.

That typed, he's still considered one of the most important players of the electric instrument to my knowledge, having brought some quality to an impressive breadth of popular music.

3 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "...he's still considered one of the most important players of the electric instrument to my knowledge, having brought some quality to an impressive breadth of popular music."

Similarly but much more maligned, Ringo Starr played some terrific drum fills within the context of a hugely influential band, making him a significant figure in the history of the drums.

His favorite of himself if I'm not mistaken:     

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Similarly but much more maligned, Ringo Starr played some terrific drum fills within the context of a hugely influential band, making him a significant figure in the history of the drums.

I believe both PAUL and RINGO have received much praise for their work on each instrument.

• Like 1

While listening to Rain, I wondered why John Lennon did not ask recording engineers to tweak his vocal register (as was his wont) on the words "rain" and "fine" to make his voice sound higher (or maybe he did ask). 

Reportedly, Lennon "hated the sound of his own voice" and typically requested engineers to make it sound different. I always found his extremely nasal falsetto on later Beatles songs and on his solo records annoying.

OK, John, you didn't like your voice. But why did you want to sound like Tiny Tim's British cousin?

Regarding Ringo's drumming, I really dig his solo on The End.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, NoShear said:

If I correctly recall reading, Paul McCartney was quoted as saying he appreciated those who thought enough to put him on the top of music polls, but he was not a virtuoso on bass.

That typed, he's still considered one of the most important players of the electric instrument to my knowledge, having brought some quality to an impressive breadth of popular music.

When I was living with that jazz musician roommate,   he really liked McCartney's bass playing.    E.g.  he would say;  listen to a simple song like She Came in Through the Bathroom Window;   (just A to D, mostly),  and the lines Paul is playing.     I.e.  most of the musical interest in The Beatles was Paul's bass lines,  and then Ringo's drumming.      

• Like 1