Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Superb write-up on The Flying Burrito Brothers albums, Allhallowsday! Your promotions expertly and effectively did what, IMO, good promos do -- arouse and excite the reader to tune in, turn on, and give a listen!

. . . which I did to several tracks. I must confess that Country Music and its permutations (Country Swing/Western Swing, Country Jazz, and Country Rock) have never tickled my fancy. But thank you anyway for the exposure to The Flying Burrito Brothers . . .

. . . who a friend of mine would probably dig (indeed I suspect he's probably a TFBB scholar). He gifted me with a CD of The Nickel Slots' Let It Ride . . . which I churlishly never opened. After checking out the band on the Web . . . not my "cup of tea."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's 1960-something. I'm on a road-trip vacation with my family. We stop in a Denny's restaurant in a small town (small compared to Los Angeles). Memorable for two reasons:

• I discover a live caterpillar in my salad.

• There are small jukeboxes at the tables. At our table, I spot this number (written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King) on the playlist:

It's 1968. A Friday night. I'm at the junior high school dance. Unknowingly establishing a lifelong pattern between the sexes, the boys are on the auditorium stage obtusely racing their slot cars. The girls are on the dance floor, Frugging, Swimming, Jerking, swaying, and groovin' to  . . .

Apple Peaches Pumpkin Pie

Bend Me Shape Me

Green Tambourine

Love is All Around

Never My Love

Pretty Ballerina

San Francisco

Spooky

Stoned Soul Picnic

Visa is using a version of this one in their ads during the Olympics. I hadn't heard it in years. Not that I've missed it. Not a Brubek fan, but the rhythm interests me in an academic sense. You don't have to sit through all of it to get the idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1