Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

"Blue Rondo à la Turk" is a jazz standard composition by Dave Brubeck. It appeared on the album Time Out in 1959. It is written in 9\8 time, with one side theme in 4\4, and the choice of rhythm was inspired by the Turkish aksak time signatures.

Yea, rather odd for Western listeners.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

"Blue Rondo à la Turk" is a jazz standard composition by Dave Brubeck

DAVE BRUBECK became so famous with hit records nobody who knew nothing knew he played the PIANO...  one of his better known pieces with highlights of woodwinds as always. 

10 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re:     

Pete Townshend counted himself a student of Mickey - of MICKEY & SYLVIA - Baker's series of books, jazz guitar:     

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

A pioneer of the solid body, Les Paul is also said to have influenced many a guitarists with his playing - collectively an argue that he was the greatest guitarist.

• Like 1

With my earlier post of the Who's "Sunrise" and your upload of Les Paul & Mary Ford with that reel-to-reel visible, Eucalyptus P. Millstone, Les Paul also is credited as the primary pioneer of flanging - a tape effect that Pete Townshend employed on the following track to my knowledge:     

• Like 1
On 7/18/2021 at 10:09 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "...and here I go tripping down Memory Lane again . . .

It's 1972, and I'm in my '67 VW Bug, windows down, driving through the streets of downtown Los Angeles, and blasting this militant Lennon-Ono outcry from stereo speakers..."

Go to my fifty years ago: THE BETA MANpost, Eucalyptus P. Millstone.

Remembering Dallas native Dusty Hill, who died last week. If you collected rock albums in the 70s, you had this one.  Still a favorite of mine. 

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Like his counterpart here, Mister Guitar impacted popular music from both sides of the recording console. The Chet Atkins signature Country Gentleman can be heard here to my knowledge:     

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "Like his counterpart here, Mister Guitar impacted popular music from both sides of the recording console. The Chet Atkins signature Country Gentleman can be heard here to my knowledge..."

...and both heard and seen here - care of one of Chet Atkins' "disciples", George Harrison:     

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Whatta coinkydink! I had been thinking about offering some Chet Atkins.

Although both my parents were Jazz lovers, my father's musical tastes were a tad more expansive. Among his (comparatively) meager collection of records was Christmas with Chet Atkins.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Remembering Dallas native Dusty Hill, who died last week. If you collected rock albums in the 70s, you had this one.  Still a favorite of mine. 

Well, I'll never get arrested for being a ZZ Top fan. Of all the band's hits, only La Grange grabbed me -- and that was only because I thought the beginning sounded as though Lee Marvin was the vocalist.

ZZ Top Performing "La Grange" on The Howard Stern Show

• Like 1