Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

Speaking of Lee Marvin, here's Ol' Rheumy Eyes crooning his one and only hit record:

"'Wand'rin' Star' was a number one single in the UK for three weeks and in Ireland for two weeks for Lee Marvin in March 1970. The song also peaked at number 10 in Australia." -- Wikipedia

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NoShear said:

Like his counterpart here, Mister Guitar impacted popular music from both sides of the recording console. The Chet Atkins signature Country Gentleman can be heard here to my knowledge:     

Earlier forgot to bring full-circle:     

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Speaking of Lee Marvin, here's Ol' Rheumy Eyes crooning his one and only hit record:

"'Wand'rin' Star' was a number one single in the UK for three weeks and in Ireland for two weeks for Lee Marvin in March 1970. The song also peaked at number 10 in Australia." -- Wikipedia

...keeping The Beatles at number two in the UK with their single "Let It Be"...  I like that record.  Meaning "Wanderin' Star" 

16 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "Although both my parents were Jazz lovers, my father's musical tastes were a tad more expansive. Among his (comparatively) meager collection of records was Christmas with Chet Atkins."

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, CHRISTMAS with CHET ATKINS...

You were blessed with having been exposed to such eclectic music. 

15 hours ago, NoShear said:

Earlier forgot to bring full-circle:     

Yea,  I was going to post the Chet Adkins - Picks on the Beatles album yesterday but got distracted.    I had this album that I put on a looper so I could play it over and over again,  learning all of the guitar parts.    I play many Beatles songs as instrumental songs and I'm sometimes ask;  hey,  that guitar solo,,,,  I don't recall hearing that on a Beatles album;  NOPE,  it came from this fine Adkins record.        I really like what Chet does on I'll Cry Instead and She Loves You.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I had this album that I put on a looper so I could play it over and over agai

It is that kind of record for me too... put it on a loop! 

JUNE CHRISTY Gone For The Day 

R-2685399-1551724122-5391.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

It is that kind of record for me too... put it on a loop! 

JUNE CHRISTY Gone For The Day 

R-2685399-1551724122-5391.jpeg.jpg

Just to ensure clarity:

I placed the album on a pedal looper which allows one to repeat either the entire song,  or just certain parts over-and-over again.

I did this so I could use the album as part of practicing.     One just uses the foot to hit the pedal to repeat.    (much easier then picking up the needle on a record player and wearing out the record).

23 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just to ensure clarity:

I placed the album on a pedal looper which allows one to repeat either the entire song,  or just certain parts over-and-over again.

I did this so I could use the album as part of practicing.     One just uses the foot to hit the pedal to repeat.    (much easier then picking up the needle on a record player and wearing out the record).

I got you.  Of course, I'm in digital world so a "loop" is a repear...  repeat...

JUNE CHRISTY Something Cool 

R-1201367-1465507905-7448.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NoShear said:

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, CHRISTMAS with CHET ATKINS...

You were blessed with having been exposed to such eclectic music. 

My musical tastes were mostly shaped by Los Angeles AM radio. Stations such as KFWB, KRLA, and especially KHJ had a Top 40 format that included Rock, Soul, MOR, and a li'l bit o' Country-Western. Radio playlists weren't "segregated" as they are today -- at least as they are in the radio market where I currently reside ("All [Musical Style of Your Choice] All the Time!"). During the 1960s, I could tune into "Boss Radio" (93 KHJ) and listen to hits by The Beatles, The Supremes, Paul Mauriat, Roger Miller, Sergeant Barry Sadler, Booker T. and The M.G.sPetula Clark, Wayne Newton, Johnny Cash, Herb AlpertHugh Masekela, and The Archies -- without ever changing the dial!

During my college years, I discovered college radio stations, which had even more varied and eccentric programming.

These days I primarily listen to National Public Radio, Classical Music, and -- when I can get its signal -- the only Jazz station within range.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Just to ensure clarity:

So, jamesjazzguitar, do you learn a song or an instrumental, strictly by repeatedly listening to it? Or can you also read (and write) music?

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Unfamiliar with June Christy. Pete Rugolo, OTOH

Something Cool is the classic JUNE CHRISTY album, from 1953, and successful in its era.  I love her but she is largely forgotten.  She sang with STAN KENTON's band in the late 40s (after ANITA O'DAY left).  She married a member of KENTON's band. 

• Like 2

Bruce Springsteen's daughter, Jessica, is competing in Tokyo...

Roy Bittan's shimmering keyboards are heard in BABY IT'S YOU (1983):     

29 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

VAN HALEN 

R-380477-1258333685.jpeg.jpg

One of the most significant rock guitar-oriented albums of all, Van HaleN  is possibly the most important one to be released in the past fifty years or so:     

Hey, jamesjazzguitar, I thought of you last night with what sounded like some snazzy licks coming out of the Zodiac - go to about 5:56 and listen:     

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Hey, jamesjazzguitar, I thought of you last night with what sounded like some snazzy licks coming out of the Zodiac - go to about 5:56 and listen:     

I did watch Bell, Book and Candle last night and the film does have some niffy music;  E.g.  the trio of two horns and a guitar that played in the club.

I have seen the film before but what impressed me last night was the acting of Kim Novak.     

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "I did watch Bell, Book and Candle last night and the film does have some niffy music;  E.g.  the trio of two horns and a guitar that played in the club."

I tried to (unsuccessfully?) hunt down the jazz guitarist for you, jamesjazzguitar, and am guessing it was Barney Kessel:     

2 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I tried to (unsuccessfully?) hunt down the jazz guitarist for you, jamesjazzguitar, and am guessing it was Barney Kessel:     

It is Howard Roberts on guitar on this 2 for the Money album released in 1959. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "It is Howard Roberts on guitar on this 2 for the Money album released in 1959."

Ah...

Possibly Howard Roberts on the "Bell..." soundtrack as well, jamesjazzguitar? (The guitar sounds similar on both recordings.)