Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

I love the song Check to Check and was glad to see the song got some attention after Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett recorded it.   

Here is a version from Mundell Lowe;   I took a few lessons from him.     Very nice man. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I love the song Check to Check and was glad to see the song got some attention after Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett recorded it.   

Here is a version from Mundell Lowe;   I took a few lessons from him.     Very nice man. 

This is the kind of copacetic tune that I'd listen to gliding along Pacific Coast Highway on a brisk Spring day, in a cute, convertible compact -- the free, fresh wind in my hair, life without care -- and with an even cuter, more compact California Blonde -- deliciously redolent of Coppertone and sea breeze perfume -- cool 'n kickin' it by my side.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Not to downplay the focus here, jamesjazzguitar, but I couldn't help noticing the organ: Dick Hyman!

12 hours ago, NoShear said:

Not to downplay the focus here, jamesjazzguitar, but I couldn't help noticing the organ: Dick Hyman!

Yea,  Dick Hyman was really big in the music business;  Woody Allen loved the guy and used him to score many of his films.

34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "Yea,  Dick Hyman was really big in the music business;  Woody Allen loved the guy and used him to score many of his films."

I don't recall ever reading about the Allen/Hyman axis - thank you, jamesjazzguitar.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:18 PM, NoShear said:

Re: "Bruce Springsteen's daughter, Jessica, is competing in Tokyo..."

Bruce Springsteen's daughter, Jessica, teamed up for an equestrian silver...

"Born to Run" was referenced in response and, while there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the music of The Boss on this thread, I defy anyone to pass on another "...chance power drive":     

43 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Bruce Springsteen's daughter, Jessica, teamed up for an equestrian silver...

"Born to Run" was referenced in response and, while there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for the music of The Boss on this thread, I defy anyone to resist this power drive:     

NoShear,

Oh I find the song Born to Run irresistible. I haven't listened to every Springsteen song. For me, the track stands out because it doesn't sound like the other Springsteen tunes that I have heard. IMO, it sounds as though "The Boss" and the producers on the album were deliberately shooting for Top 40, Tops of the Pops success. Springsteen's first two albums, IMO, don't have the "Glitz," "Flash," and "Grandiosity" that won Born to Run mass appeal, boosted Springsteen to superstardom, and which makes it sound like more like a majestic anthem than a plain, ol' rock song.

Re The Stooges, this is the only Iggy Pop tune that was familiar to me:

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re The Stooges, this is the only Iggy Pop tune that was familiar to me:

Your Iggy Pop drop here prompted me to post a photo I've been thinking about pasting for awhile now. Please visit The Post an Interesting Pic thread  at your convenience, Eucalyptus P. Millstone...

9 minutes ago, NoShear said:

May I suggest this distortion dandy(?) - John Cale, late of the Velvet Underground, produced and played the sleigh bells which gave rise to the joke about it being a favorite Christmas song:  

Man, like, WHAT is Iggy Pop's trip?

First time I read about him, the story was accompanied by a photo of Pop all bloody because he had mutilated himself with, I think, a razor blade.

Anyway, thanks for I Wanna Be Your Dog, which I recall having heard before now. It certainly suggests that Pop is a seriously twisted head case with an inferiority complex and masochistic tendencies.

10 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "Man, like, WHAT is Iggy Pop's trip?

First time I read about him, the story was accompanied by a photo of Pop all bloody because he had mutilated himself with, I think, a razor blade.

Anyway, thanks for I Wanna Be Your Dog, which I recall having heard before now. It certainly suggests that Pop is a seriously twisted head case with an inferiority complex and masochistic tendencies."

You're welcome, Eucalyptus P. Millstone, and the idea of Iggy goes something like this: Iggy looks at the crazy-axx shenanigans of live Jim Morrison and thinks "If he can do this with a number one song on the charts, hell, I can get away with murder!"

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "Anyway, thanks for I Wanna Be Your Dog, which I recall having heard before now."

Again, you're welcome, and I think you'd be surprised at how many Iggy songs you're unwittingly familiar with:     

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Anyway, thanks for I Wanna Be Your Dog, which I recall having heard before now. It certainly suggests that Pop is a seriously twisted head case with an inferiority complex and masochistic tendencies.

IGGY understood instinctively where Rock was rooted and headed and presaged it all, including Punk.  "I Wanna Be Your Dog" is from THE STOOGES first album which is DUMB, HILARIOUS, compelling, and mostly very listenable.  It is not perfect, but the first album is superb. 

17 hours ago, NoShear said:

I think you'd be surprised at how many Iggy songs you're unwittingly familiar with

Hell yeh!  I've got IGGY's first two albums... don't forget BOWIE's cover of IGGY's "China Girl"...

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, NoShear said:

Again, you're welcome, and I think you'd be surprised at how many Iggy songs you're unwittingly familiar with:     

Yeah, now that you brought it up, I do remember Lust for Life.

My only excuse for not remembering is Selective Amnesia.

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: Meanwhile Back in Outer Space

I thought of Stevie Wonder and was surprised(!) to read that "Outa-Space" predated Talking Book:     

• Like 1