Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

2 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: Meanwhile Back in Outer Space

Sun Ra had previously made some unsuccessful attempts to reach outa-space with his Solar Sound:     

On 8/8/2021 at 3:55 PM, NoShear said:

WYJJVoIoFuzPWM8UCwq4UuOWOKWl4PiSD06_3c3I

"Make Tonto funk the T-Funk, Tonto want to get funked-up."

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Sun Ra had previously made some unsuccessful attempts to reach outa-space with his Solar Sound:     

. . . which explains why extraterrestrial life forms haven't made contact with us.

A little of Sun Ra goes a long way with me.

• Like 1
On 8/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, Allhallowsday said:

CAL TJADER Soul Sauce  

r-571101-1349108258-7348-jpeg.jpg

I'm hoping you haven't heard the following cover version yet, Allhallowsday, but given your range, I'm not too hopeful:     

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re:  

Timebox, to my knowledge, is mostly noted for one of its members - Ollie Halsall, a brilliant but overlooked guitarist:

10 minutes ago, NoShear said:

'm hoping you haven't heard the following cover version

Yes, and I think it's interesting but pales compared to TJADER... this is more my speed for Swingin' London

• Thanks 1
On 8/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, NoShear said:

I'm hoping you haven't heard the following cover version yet, Allhallowsday, but given your range, I'm not too hopeful:     

Although I am totally clueless about Timebox, I was familiar with Timebox's arrangement of Soul Sauce. It is sampled by the host of a local radio show. Thank you, NoShear, for helping me to identify that captivating intro.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: Although I am totally clueless about Timebox, I was familiar with Timebox's arrangement of Soul Sauce. It is sampled by the host of a local radio show. Thank you, NoShear, for helping me to identify that captivating intro."

You're definitely most welcome, Eucalyptus P. Millstone. My introduction to the Cal Tjader cover, if I correctly recall, was through a MOJO magazine CD insert...

Here was another MOJO turn-on for me if I correctly recall:     

50 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: Who was the producer? Zorba the Greek?"

No coincidence to my knowledge, Eucalyptus P. Millstone. The desired bouzouki sound being achieved with an electric mandolin if I'm not mistaken.

22 hours ago, NoShear said:

You're definitely most welcome, Eucalyptus P. Millstone. My introduction to the Cal Tjader cover, if I correctly recall, was through a MOJO magazine CD insert...

Here was another MOJO turn-on for me if I correctly recall:     

Uhhhh, Honeychile.

Somebody who calls herself P. P. is the last person to be dissing others as not being groovy.

Just sayin'.

6 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "Before she ruined her voice . . ."

Even craggy, I liked her for at least one song during the New Wave:     

4 hours ago, NoShear said:

One of my favorites from the English agriculturist, Jethro Tull:     

Major Jethro Tull fan here . . . up to Thick as a Brick*! I was devoted to JT during its early and "Progressive Rock" phases. Reasons for Waiting is a song that particularly soothes me into a calm, tranquil, and wistful mood.

* When the band "devolved" to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, I lost interest and stopped listening.

1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Major Jethro Tull fan here . . . up to Thick as a Brick*! I was devoted to JT during its early and "Progressive Rock" phases. Reasons for Waiting is a song that particularly soothes me into a calm, tranquil, and wistful mood.

* When the band "devolved" to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, I lost interest and stopped listening.

If I've correctly read the cutoff for you, Eucalyptus P. Millstone, it's a curious one: 1972 marked the full harvest of Jethro Tull! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NoShear said:

Re: "If I've correctly read the cutoff for you, Eucalyptus P. Millstone, it's a curious one: 1972 marked the full harvest of Jethro Tull!"

...commercially-speaking in the United States, that is, which is to say commercially-speaking.