Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

4 hours ago, NoShear said:

If I've correctly read the cutoff for you, Eucalyptus P. Millstone, it's a curious one: 1972 marked the full harvest of Jethro Tull! 

I actually continued buying Jethro Tull albums after Thick as a Brick, up to Too Old to Rock 'n'  Roll: Too Young to Die, whereupon I bailed. I found that I was doing more needle-lifting on post-Thick as Brick records.

The Jazz-Blues-Ballad-Prog Rock mélange that had hooked me on Jethro Tull was steadily being replaced by "Hard Rock."  Although I never considered Jethro Tull a "Heavy Metal" band, when it won a Grammy for "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental," I wasn't the only one who had noticed a change in the band's direction -- a direction in which I didn't care to go. My taste was for the acoustic, sometimes symphonic melodies on early tunes such as Reasons for Waiting, Bourée , Inside, A Song forJeffrey, Nothing to Say, Sweet Dream, and . . .

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "...when it won a Grammy for "Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental,"..."

The Grammys were ridiculously out of touch with contemporary rock for many years of its existence.

9 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

...rarely get anything right.

Well the Grammys,  as well as Oscars etc... were not designed to get thing right but instead as a PR vehicle for the record labels \ movie studios.

I.e.   if sales are increased for the companies with the most power in their industry they got-it-right (by their definition).

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Re: "Well the Grammys,  as well as Oscars etc... were not designed to get thing right but instead as a PR vehicle for the record labels \ movie studios.

I.e.   if sales are increased for the companies with the most power in their industry they got-it-right (by their definition)."

Still, rock seemed underrepresented for years, and rock music was selling.

Two marvelously morbid curios -- personal faves of mine! --that I suspect made the outré playlists of Dr. Demento:

Here is one of my favorite guitar players,   Bireli Lagrene,   at 13.      I was 28 when I heard this,  sitting around with my guitar playing buddies.

We all looked at each other  and said:   We should stick to playing rock,   since we will never get close to what this kid is  already doing!

12 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

In the beginning . . .

. . . from the beginning . . .

If Greg Lake was prog rock's voice, then, perhaps, Steve Hillage was its guitarist:     

55 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Steve Howe is the prog-rock guitars, I find the most interesting.

I saw YES at the Spectrum in Philadelphia around 1990... all former members participated... two drum sets, two keyboardists...  No DAVE GILMOUR for most interesting Prog Rock guitarist...?

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I saw YES at the Spectrum in Philadelphia around 1990... all former members participated... two drum sets, two keyboardists...  No DAVE GILMOUR for most interesting Prog Rock guitarist...?

Dave Gilmour is a fine musician,  as well as composer and I find him highly interesting,   but I favor Howe just slightly more (but more so for what he has done in the last 20 years which isn't Prog rock, per se).