Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Dave Gilmour is a fine musician,  as well as composer and I find him highly interesting,   but I favor Howe just slightly more (but more so for what he has done in the last 20 years which isn't Prog rock, per se).

Cool.  I only listened to a lot more PINK than YES, but live STEVE HOWE was... stunning.  I've seen a lot of shows, and that was one of the good ones!

All that Prog Rock commentary made me choose this tonight : PINK FLOYD  Meddle

R-3149867-1513633033-2377.jpeg.jpg

20 hours ago, NoShear said:

Re: "If Greg Lake was prog rock's voice, then, perhaps, Steve Hillage was its guitarist..."

I suggested Steve Hillage as someone who, like Greg Lake, offered his instrument to the genre in more than one notable prog group - rather than Hillage as a so-subjective superior player.

On 8/13/2021 at 8:32 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is one of my favorite guitar players,   Bireli Lagrene,   at 13.      I was 28 when I heard this,  sitting around with my guitar playing buddies.

We all looked at each other  and said:   We should stick to playing rock,   since we will never get close to what this kid is  already doing!

A suggested variation on your moniker: jamesGYPSYjazzguitar

At  your convenience, please see some recent posts on the "James Bond Trivia" thread as I referenced you, jamesjazzguitar...

I heard this one for the first time just a couple of hours ago on a radio program called She-roes, which is dedicated, the lady said, to "celebrating and amplifying" female musicians. This is Ruth Brown from 1952, (I know the video title says 1953 but it's  a 1952 recording so Truman was still president) when R&B still had some B in it.  And on vinyl, with all the pop and hiss you could want. 

Ruth Brown was quite a success in the 50s, and is sometimes called The Queen of R&B.  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I heard this one for the first time just a couple of hours ago on a radio program called She-roes, which is dedicated, the lady said, to "celebrating and amplifying" female musicians. This is Ruth Brown from 1952, (I know the video title says 1953 but it's  a 1952 recording so Truman was still president) when R&B still had some B in it.  And on vinyl, with all the pop and hiss you could want. 

Ruth Brown was quite a success in the 50s, and is sometimes called The Queen of R&B.  

I wonder if Brown's hip had a welt on it after the way she was workin' that tamborine.

I was waxing nostalgic for the Summer of 1981 . . . so I listened to the JOEY SCARBURY hit "Believe It or Not (Theme from 'The Greatest American Hero')".  It reached it's #2 peak on the Billboard 100 Chart in mid-August  of '81.  Sure it's cheesy, but it's tuneful. 

Then I decided to listen to THE MOTELS and their hit "Only The Lonely" and MAXINE NIGHTINGALE's hit from '79 "Lead Me On" and then QUARTERFLASH with "Harden My Heart" and, finally, COOL NIGHT by Paul Davis.  ("I . . . sometimes wonder why . . . all the flowers had to die . . . ).   It's handy to have YouTube songs playing on another screen while I type on this one! 

I miss the 1980s. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

QUARTERFLASH with "Harden My Heart"

I remember the album cover (bleacher full of mannequins)...

10 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

THE MOTELS and their hit "Only The Lonely"

I had the album on vinyl (I think it was a called "Little Robbers"...? 

• Like 1

You may recall the band QUARTERFLASH was first 'named' SEAFOOD MAMA and their original recording of "Harden My Heart" was a little bit different than the later 'hit' arrangement.  Both versions are on YouTube -- ergo, if you like the song then you can compare each version.  The QUARTERFLASH album containing "Harden My Heart" and "Find Another Fool" was dedicated "to all the Seafood lovers in the Northwest".