Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

The Tubes are playing in Orange County tonight and their lead singer Fee Waybill and his wife will be staying at my home after the concert.  They have to get to Phoenix for a concert and instead of driving back to Beverly Hills,  will be flying out of O.C's John Wayne airport.        Our wives are BFFs and this is how I got to know Fee (John).

Anyhow should be an interesting but long night!   Here is a video of their biggest hit.   

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The Tubes are playing in Orange County tonight and their lead singer Fee Waybill and his wife will be staying at my home after the concert.  They have to get to Phoenix for a concert and instead of driving back to Beverly Hills,  will be flying out of O.C's John Wayne airport.        Our wives are BFFs and this is how I got to know Fee (John).

Anyhow should be an interesting but long night!   Here is a video of their biggest hit.   

I was a big fan of The Tubes and saw them in concert at least twice, perhaps thrice -- the last time for free at a local outdoor musical festival. The first time was, I thought, at The Pantages Theatre in Hollywood during the 1980s -- but I don't see a performance at that venue listed in The Tubes' concert history. I remember Waybill on stage in his priapic Quay Lewd drag coaxing reluctant band members, "Oi! You can wrap yor teeth 'round me beef!"

Similar with Jethro Tull, the songs by The Tubes that I liked and which made me a fan were never major hits, while The Tubes tunes that became hits -- e.g., She's A Beauty -- I didn't dig.

Here's a Tubes song that I liked and which, of course, wasn't a hit:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

I was a big fan of The Tubes and saw them in concert at least twice, perhaps thrice -- the last time for free at a local outdoor musical festival. The first time was, I thought, at The Pantages Theatre in Hollywood during the 1980s -- but I don't see a performance at that venue listed in The Tubes' concert history. I remember Waybill on stage in his priapic Quay Lewd drag coaxing reluctant band members, "Oi! You can wrap yor teeth 'round me beef!"

Similar with Jethro Tull, the songs by The Tubes that I liked and which made me a fan were never major hits, while The Tubes tunes that became hits -- e.g., She's A Beauty -- I didn't dig.

Here's a Tubes song that I liked and which, of course, wasn't a hit:

Sushi Girl is a favorite of mine as well.       Just dropped Waybill and his wife at the airport since they left their car at my house.    Picking them back up on Monday. 

White Punks on Dope is a classic (ha ha_)!

16 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Used to see Tom Scott and his west coast band often during the 70s and 80s when I was just getting into jazz and being a jazz musician.   

Had a talk one night with Victor Feldman,  a fine musician (keyboards, vibes,  drums and other percussion instruments).    

I asked him how much Miles Davis really contributed to the Seven Steps to Heaven song since the rumor was that this was another song Miles stole from a one of his bandmates.   Victor just gave me a wide smile!     Note that Feldman played on the first 7 Steely Dan albums.   E.g. It is Feldman's percussion work on Steely Dan's song "Do It Again" that gives the song its Latin groove. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

On the PA at the diner 

Since you have a lot of knowledge about musical instruments do you know why  the Gibson name would be tapped over in the Everly Bros photo? 

I have seen this done on T.V. shows:  E.g.    Andy Griffith had a few episodes with James Best as a local guitar man and the brand-name was taped over.  

Maybe that photo was an album cover and, like a T.V. show there are rules about showing a product's brand name? 

39 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Since you have a lot of knowledge about musical instruments do you know why  the Gibson name would be tapped over in the Everly Bros photo? 

I have seen this done on T.V. shows:  E.g.    Andy Griffith had a few episodes with James Best as a local guitar man and the brand-name was taped over.  

Maybe that photo was an album cover and, like a T.V. show there are rules about showing a product's brand name? 

This is more a legal question than an instrument question but I suspect it has to do with wanting to avoid giving free advertising to name brands who are not paying for placement. You tube may have blacked it out. I know Hoyt Axton's guitar had the tape on the headstock in his WKRP episode. 

R-1125362-1194074452.jpeg.jpg

The Everlys had their own J200 model so they were already paid endorsers. 

Edit: The Gibson Everly Brothers model came out in '62, so this photo would be before they were signature artists. But tv shows do seem very careful about logos. Even when you see a car featured prominently you also see an end credit usually saying "automobiles provided by" whatever motor company. 

Watch the Partridge Family and you will see early Ovations all over the place. I can't recall if they took a credit but they provided the instruments. 

Edit 2: Then with Gibson's reputation for lawsuits, people may want to avoid hearing from their legal department about some infringement and cover the logo out of caution 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1