Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

5 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

The coolest thing about AVERAGE WHITE BAND is they're Scottish doing R&B...

I happen to prefer the Average White Band version of Work to Do over the original authored and sung by The Isley Brothers. For me, the tempo and arrangement of, and vocals on the 1974 AWB cover tops every other rendition that I've heard . . . including this live AWB performance.

• Like 2

@Eucalpytus:  I have several AVERAGE WHITE BAND albums in my musical stash.  I like them.  'Nuff said.   I'm very fond of their song YOU GOT IT.  It's an album 'cut' from the eponymous 'AWB' album.

-------------------------------- 

I don't suppose anyone has been listening to old country tunes -- and not very twangy ones at that:

BRIAN COLLINS - That's The Way Love Should Be, 1974.  A 'Top 25' hit on the Billboard Country Chart back in '74.  The song is so short that it seems like it's over immediately.  The 'fade-out' starts at 2:05 and it's fully over at 2m 21secs.  Maybe this song would've climbed even higher on the chart if it were l-o-n-g-e-r!

ROY DRUSKY - Red Red Wine, 1972.  Neil Diamond wrote this song; I think Roy's country version is great.  Smooth!  2m 48secs with a 'cold' ending.  This song has been covered by several other artists besides Neil D. and Roy.  Think UB40 covered it in the late 1980s?   Anyway, I recommend having a listen to Roy's version. 

I'm almost entirely clueless about Country music and had never heard of Brian Collins. I tuned in to That's the Way Love Should Be and Statue of a Fool.

Beautiful, clear tenor voice that, IMO, is not the "conventional," "traditional" Country & Western cowboy twangy-drawl.

Thanks for the introduction, Mr. G!

• Like 1

@Eucalyptus:  I'm glad you enjoyed the Brian Collins tunes and Roy's version of Red Red Wine.  Roy's been gone a while now (d. 2004), but I have some 45's of his singles, one of which is "Red Red Wine"  -- which is how I heard his version the first time many moons ago.  So much easier in the present day to just look it up on YouTube rather than have to break out the old record player!   Same with Brian Collins.  I bought a whole mess of country 45's in the late 1990s and played bunches of them. 

ALSO:  What country tunes have you been listening to lately, AllHallowsDay? 

→ Here's one I'd heartily recommend:  SUN COMIN' UP by Nat Stuckey from 1976.  You wouldn't know Nat was a heavy smoker by the smoothness of his voice (he died of lung cancer in 1988 at age 54), but he could sure carry a tune!    

19 minutes ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

For your dining and dancing pleasure, here's a heaping helping of 100%, Grade A, Jen-Yoo-Wine, bona fide, certified, U.S. Prime foot-stompin', chest-beatin', headbangin', tail-shakin' ROCK 'N ROLL! 🎸 🎸 🎸🎸

Mark Farner's testosterone rock deserves this response:     

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Mark Farner's testosterone rock deserves this response:     

Actually, it seems Ruby Starr was the one wearing the proverbial (tight) pants during this performance.

2 hours ago, NoShear said:

Actually, it seems Ruby Starr was the one wearing the proverbial (tight) pants during this performance.

You "saw" tight pants on Ruby Starr?

If her outfit had been any shorter, she would have had to powder two more cheeks.

Give it up for Starr belting out Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed (during which she almost starts to channel Joe Cocker).

9 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Re: "You "saw" tight pants on Ruby Starr?

If her outfit had been any shorter, she would have had to powder two more cheeks."

Metaphorically speaking: I was thinking Mark Farner but, instead, James Mangrum handed me a Quaalude!

9 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Give it up for Starr belting out Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed (during which she almost starts to channel Joe Cocker).

She ended up making a premature appearance at that Great Gig in the Sky.     

I heard this in the car today.  A pleasing slower tempo, power-poppy sounding ballad. Contemplative, steady. Lush production with jingle jangle electric guitars. The elements blend and build pleasingly. The band is really one guy named Timothy Showalter from Indiana, now based in Austin. He's been around a while but I'm just hearing about him.