Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

22 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Hope that's a good thing...! 😀

Yes,  it is a good thing,  but I did notice  that as well.       I like this thread because the music being posted is all over the "map".    

25 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

Re: "I fall down never ending rabbit holes for this stuff, what I post here isn't even HALF of what I've got. If you have Spotify I can link you my "Rare" playlist that has all my gems I've come across on it, some may be familiar, but a lot is stuff I find on the depths of youtube and from radio stations in the UK."

Given your penchant for Sixties stuff and mention of UK radio, SweetSue...

You've no doubt visited this town in the past, but maybe not in this vehicle:     

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

I hunt for this stuff man! I fall down never ending rabbit holes for this stuff, what I post here isn't even HALF of what I've got. If you have Spotify I can link you my "Rare" playlist that has all my gems I've come across on it, some may be familiar, but a lot is stuff I find on the depths of youtube and from radio stations in the UK. It's just a hobby of mine😂

Nope, don't have Spotify. But, no biggie.

I suspected that the Steve Hoffman Music Forum site that I linked to might interest and appeal to you. I found this 1968 tune from surgeon-clarinetist Jean-Christian Michel thereon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ray Davies Americana.jpg

Americana by Ray Davies -Apr 2017

Ray Davies' first album of new material since Working Man's Cafe in 2008. The title cut is a beautiful song about this Englishman's fascination with American culture, he still has a way with lyrics and the melody is nice too. "The Deal" has that great Davies sly wit about phoniness of the LA rich people. "Poetry" is a nice lament about the decline of art and poetry in the modern world. "Message From The Road" and "A Place In Your Heart" has a female singer, Karen Grotberg, helping Ray out on the vocals. A spoken word song "Silent Movie" Ray talks about fellow musician Alex Chilton discussing music and watching a black and white western on TV with sound turned down, this segues into "Rock "N" Roll Cowboys" about living a dream or reality. Another fascinating spoken word track is "The Man Upstairs" which starts with the firs line of the Kinks classic "All Day And All Of The Night", he listens to the sounds of the couple upstairs. This goes into "I've Heard That Beat Before" as they couple fight and slam doors and then make up and start fighting again. My favorite track is "The Invaders" which sound like Ray is reminiscing about the British Invasion of groups like The Kinks. He dealt with nasty immigration agents who asked if he was " a boy or a girl". But he that he and the other groups turned the world upside down and it was never the same again. The final song "Wings Of Fantasy" is another about dreams and reality.  Even in his 70s, Davies shows he is still a musical force to be reckoned with.

2 hours ago, NoShear said:

...so can the can: 

What's fascinating to me was how that song sounds just like British Glam Rock of the early 70s... I listen to that type of Rock often.   I think the record was #1 there and elsewhere but tanked stateside. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Re: "What's fascinating to me was how that song sounds just like British Glam Rock of the early 70s... I listen to that type of Rock often.   I think the record was #1 there and elsewhere but tanked stateside."

It's interesting to note that, despite the interchange of rock music which has crossed back 'n' forth The Pond down through the years, record charting of the two countries seems different to a noticeable extent.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, NoShear said:

It's interesting to note that, despite the interchange of rock music which has crossed back 'n' forth The Pond down through the years, record charting of the two countries seems different to a noticeable extent.

Hell yeah.  It fascinates me, Glam Rock particularly since it was huge in the UK but spotty stateside... think BOWIE or SWEET and ROXY MUSIC or T.REX... spotty or little USA success.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Re: "Hell yeah.  It fascinates me, Glam Rock particularly since it was huge in the UK but spotty stateside... think BOWIE or SWEET and ROXY MUSIC or T.REX... spotty or little USA success."

Even with Sweet, I think there was some catching up to do Stateside as evidenced by the Capitol Records version of Desolation Boulevard being released a half a year or a bit more after the original UK version's debut.

26 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Desolation Boulevard

I thought that was SWEET.  I had to look it up.   BOWIE was the only real UK Glam act with significant USA success.  USA Glam acts usually tanked (JOBRIATH and BRETT SMILEY immediately come to mind).  You know your SWEET well.  I actually really like them but haven't got much. 

• Like 1

This is a very late winter or Autumn song to me somehow. Works in March as well as October.

("If your patio furniture used to be your living room furniture .... ')

• Like 1

Vlado Perlemuter Plays Ravel   (1962) : I was delighted to find this on CD.  I was introduced to RAVEL piano music from a vinyl box set of these recordings.  Before I owned this on CD, I found the 1978 revisit to the RAVEL piano oeuvre (it's better and 1962 is perfection).  RAVEL VLADO interpretations (no one else's) top my list of greatest music recordings. 

R-8305034-1514034611-2117.jpeg.jpg

57 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Vlado Perlemuter Plays Ravel   (1962) : I was delighted to find this on CD.  I was introduced to RAVEL piano music from a vinyl box set of these recordings.  Before I owned this on CD, I found the 1978 revisit to the RAVEL piano oeuvre (it's better and 1962 is perfection).  RAVEL VLADO interpretations (no one else's) top my list of greatest music recordings. 

R-8305034-1514034611-2117.jpeg.jpg

Since you have no problem dropping classic British rock after some classical listening, Allhallowsday...

Jeff Beck and Heavy Friends:     

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

Jeff Beck and Heavy Friends: 

JEFF BECK has some great records... and artists he worked with!  That being said Bolero is the most popular and least among RAVEL's work (he disliked it himself).  "Beck's Bolero" ain't no better.