Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?


Recommended Posts

Here's another spoken word record that I also still have. It was released on Decca Records in 1967, about one year or slightly more before Boris Karloff's death. I acquired the lp several years after its initial release -- another mail order via Famous Monsters of Filmland and Captain Company. According to a photo in (if I correctly remember) FMoF, the album was promoted with a relatively lavish storefront display in Wallich's Music City in Hollywood, California.

A newer version with different music is available. The original recording was taken off the market because of a lawsuit filed by Bela Lugosi, Jr.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

It was released on Decca Records in 1967, about one year or slightly more before Boris Karloff's death. I acquired the lp several years after its initial release -- another mail order via Famous Monsters of Filmland and Captain Company.

I remember that one but never owned it.  I know I've got 2 different KARLOFF albums of ghoulish stories... Tales of the Frightened ...?   I've got a HITCHCOCK one too I think... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the one I know I have, the other I can't remember the cover! 

I have the CD this shows, a compilation of 2 albums; I have Monster Mash album on vinyl - found at a flea market for a buck- 35 years ago! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Here's the one I know I have, the other I can't remember the cover! 

 

Thank you for posting those YouTube clips.

One of the "Tales of the Frightened" is an extended version of W. Somerset Maugham's The Appointment in Samarra.

In what should have been his cinematic valedictory performance in Targets, Boris Karloff memorably performs Maugham's short story.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Linda Ronstadt singing the Lowell George song,"Willin'" with Waddy Wachtel on acoustic guitar behind her - probably also serving as musical director -,  Andrew Gold picking the Strat, and Dan Dugmore on pedal steel. I always liked the line about Alice in this one. I'm not sure what "whites" are in this context. Probably speed. (Maybe quaaludes? They were big then.)

Sorry for the hokey-looking info graphics on the video but l like this performance best of those I found on YT.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

HANS CONRIED and ALICE PEARCE did a wonderful album Monster Rally ... this one is my favorite from that

 

 

Love it! L-O-V-E it! Especially the cover art by the great Jack Davis!

Another track on Monster Rally, "(I'm in Love with) The Creature from the Black Lagoon," prefigures The Shape of Water. Why didn't Guillermo Del Toro use it in his fantasy flick -- a lamentable missed opportunity!

Hans Conreid's inimitable, bravura rendition of "Do Mi Do Duds" in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T is, for me, an eagerly anticipated highlight in that subversive Suessical. His effervescent elocution of Ted Geisel's loony lyrics --  such as "undulating undies" and "cutie chamois booties" -- is supremely skillful, splendiferous, and sublime.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

Linda Ronstadt singing the Lowell George song,"Willin'" with Waddy Wachtel on acoustic guitar behind her - probably also serving as musical director -,  Andrew Gold picking the Strat, and Dan Dugmore on pedal steel. I always liked the line about Alice in this one. I'm not sure what "whites" are in this context. Probably speed. (Maybe quaaludes? They were big then.)

Sorry for the hokey-looking info graphics on the video but l like this performance best of those I found on YT.

A favorite Linda Ronstadt tune . . .

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy this person's YouTube channel. They put together absolutely wonderful mixes of music from the 1910's-1940's, usually accompanied by classic film magazine covers.

This is the one I have been listening to a lot lately:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Hans Conreid's inimitable, bravura rendition of "Do Mi Do Duds" in The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T is, for me, an eagerly anticipated highlight in that subversive Suessical. His effervescent elocution of Ted Geisel's loony lyrics --  such as "undulating undies" and "cutie chamois booties" -- is supremely skillful, splendiferous, and sublime.

D'okay.   "Do Me Do Duds" is the only part of that movie that I wanna look at... like a peek-a-boo blouse with maribou frills...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, _Broadway_ said:

I really enjoy this person's YouTube channel. They put together absolutely wonderful mixes of music from the 1910's-1940's, usually accompanied by classic film magazine covers.

This is the one I have been listening to a lot lately:

 

The music in that collection by Pax41 Music Time Machine, IMO, is timeless "Music for the Ages" -- unlike the popular Music of Its Time that defines my g-g-g-generation.  To me, old folks (by which I mean "Boomers") creakily "rockin' out" to groovy hits they (okay, we) grew up on is just . . . sad and not a little bit pathetic. By contrast, my parents and grandparents could "trip the light fantastic" to  the music from their youth -- music from The Jazz Age and Big Band era -- and retain and maintain their . . . well, dignity*.

For me, the selections in this YouTube clip  -- their lyrics, arrangements, performances, and romanticism -- connote elegance, sophistication, urbanity,  suavity, maturity, a cultivated poise and soignée -- Fred and Ginger smartly and gracefully gliding across a dance room floor to immortal classics penned by the crème de la crème of American composers: The Gershwins, Kern, Porter, Berlin . . . in a word: class. I esteem the orchestral "dance band" selections in the Pax41 Music Time Machine and consider them classy.

. . . which also describes your taste in music, _Broadway_. Thank you for sharing!

* Somebody busting my chops about vintage novelty songs in 3-2-1 . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

The music in that collection by Pax41 Music Time Machine, IMO, is timeless "Music for the Ages" -- unlike the popular Music of Its Time that defines my g-g-g-generation.  To me, old folks (by which I mean "Boomers") creakily "rockin' out" to groovy hits they (okay, we) grew up on is just . . . sad and not a little bit pathetic. By contrast, my parents and grandparents could "trip the light fantastic" to  the music from their youth -- music from The Jazz Age and Big Band era -- and retain and maintain their . . . well, dignity*.

For me, the selections in this YouTube clip  -- their lyrics, arrangements, performances, and romanticism -- connote elegance, sophistication, urbanity,  suavity, maturity, a cultivated poise and soignée -- Fred and Ginger smartly and gracefully gliding across a dance room floor to immortal classics penned by the crème de la crème of American composers: The Gershwins, Kern, Porter, Berlin . . . in a word: class. I esteem the orchestral "dance band" selections in the Pax41 Music Time Machine and consider them classy.

. . . which also describes your taste in music, _Broadway_. Thank you for sharing!

* Somebody busting my chops about vintage novelty songs in 3-2-1 . . .

I am glad you enjoyed the mix! It's so nice that Pax 41 is taking the time to release these great old songs on youtube for everyone to enjoy.

Thank you for the compliment on my music taste. To be honest, though, my taste is actually quite varied and there are very few genres I don't like. While I love music from the 20's-40's, I have no single "favorite" era or genre and I think all eras have some great music. Interestingly, I listened to the music of my parents' generation when I was growing up so I am nostalgic for the same popular music that "old folks" are nostalgic for. 🙃

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, _Broadway_ said:

They put together absolutely wonderful mixes of music from the 1910's-1940's

I have lots of CD Pop collections of early 20th century music  like 50 Sweet Bands! 50 Sweet Songs! (30s) or Homecoming 1945 ... I've got that link to YouTube playing now... I like it.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I have lots of CD Pop collections of early 20th century music  like 50 Sweet Bands! 50 Sweet Songs! (30s) or Homecoming 1945 ... I've got that link to YouTube playing now... I like it.  :)

Oh, nice! I just looked up those two collections you mentioned-- quite a nice selection! I love compilation albums like that that give you a good selection of tunes. I'm glad you are enjoying the link I posted, too! Check out the other mixes on that channel. There are a ton of great ones!

Looking at those albums you posted reminded me of some compilation cassettes I had (or rather, my parents had) that I loved to listen to as a kid. Particularly this one: Vietnam: Rockin' The Delta. As a kid I had no idea what the title was referring to..

One quick rummage through my desk drawer later, I find I actually still have them in my possession! Time to go down memory lane!

20211012_145814.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, _Broadway_ said:

Oh, nice! I just looked up those two collections you mentioned-- quite a nice selection! I love compilation albums like that that give you a good selection of tunes.

One in that series I don't have uploaded is Moments To Remember ... they're all 2 discs... that one's 50s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

One in that series I don't have uploaded is Moments To Remember ... they're all 2 discs... that one's 50s.

Oh, do you have those other collections uploaded to YouTube or someplace?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...