Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

THE DOORS Morrison Hotel

R-480166-1617009816-4012.jpeg.jpg 

I like all of THE DOORS albums.  Nowadays, I don't have the live one and American Prayer (doesn't really count) that I had on vinyl.   I still think their best 2 albums are the last 2. 

• Like 1
On 10/15/2021 at 10:57 AM, _Broadway_ said:

My favorite radio show! ❤️

Thank you, _Broadway_ (any relation to the "Broadway" on The Damon Runyon Theatre?)!

Interesting that Alan Ladd produced the radio show. Too bad the cast (except for John Brown) for Hold 'Em Yale was not credited. Runyon's characters had a very distinctive patois, elocution, and rhythm. I could not help but conjure Sheldon Leonard while listening to Hold 'Em Yale.

"Veteran dialecticians Gerald Mohr, Herb Vigran, Sheldon Leonard, Luis Van Rooten, Alan Reed and Lionel Stander gave every program of the run an authenticity and indelible flavor that were imitated in both Radio and Television for decades to come." -- The Damon Runyon Theatre -- Single Episodes

On 10/14/2021 at 9:40 PM, SweetSue said:

Mellowing down to:

Man, does that tune elicit nostalgic memories of happier days! Here's another:

Spanish Flea was composed by Julius Wechter, a "session man" who played on The Lonely Bull. Herb Alpert subsequently offered Wechter the opportunity to front The Baja Marimba Band whose records were on Alpert's A&M Records label.

21 hours ago, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

Thank you, _Broadway_ (any relation to the "Broadway" on The Damon Runyon Theatre?)!

Interesting that Alan Ladd produced the radio show. Too bad the cast (except for John Brown) for Hold 'Em Yale was not credited. Runyon's characters had a very distinctive patois, elocution, and rhythm. I could not help but conjure Sheldon Leonard while listening to Hold 'Em Yale.

"Veteran dialecticians Gerald Mohr, Herb Vigran, Sheldon Leonard, Luis Van Rooten, Alan Reed and Lionel Stander gave every program of the run an authenticity and indelible flavor that were imitated in both Radio and Television for decades to come." -- The Damon Runyon Theatre -- Single Episodes

You are exactly right! My username comes from the character "Broadway" in this radio show. In Runyon's stories, he is the unnamed narrator, but they made him more of a named character in this show. If I could be any character in any work of fiction, I would choose to be Broadway for sure!

Wow, thank you for sharing that quote (and the link where you found it)! I had no idea Sheldon Leonard was actually on the show. That's so cool! When I listen to these shows, I automatically cast them in my mind. To me, Broadway is George Chandler, and in this story "Pete the Peddler" is Sam Levene in my mind's eye. :)