Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I own HAROLD AND MAUDE on DVD... I think it was on TCM recently. 

What can I say. You got good taste, Allhallowsday!

A former friend of mine introduced me to Harold and Maude (50 years ago). The scene captured in the image that accompanied the YouTube clip was -- and remains -- for me, the highlight of that 1971 black comedy.  I regard it as a perfect blending of sight and sound, with Bud Cort's sly expression towards the audience delightfully accentuated by Cat Stevens' pounding piano.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1969 my mother worked as a secretary at an American computer company.

In 1969, This is Tom Jones was TV variety show that was wildly popular in America, particularly among women.

One of the reasons -- perhaps the main reason --  for the show's popularity among women was summed up by my mother's boss who described Jones' distaff fans as "crotch watchers."

On 10/17/2021 at 1:42 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

What can I say. You got good taste, Allhallowsday!

A former friend of mine introduced me to Harold and Maude (50 years ago). The scene captured in the image that accompanied the YouTube clip was -- and remains -- for me, the highlight of that 1971 black comedy.  I regard it as a perfect blending of sight and sound, with Bud Cort's sly expression towards the audience delightfully accentuated by Cat Stevens' pounding piano.

One of my favorite movies, hence why I wear a replica of the coin Harold made for Maude on a necklace 😄

The soundtrack is just too perfect, I literally cannot say any bad things about that movie so I'm glad yall favorite it as well.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SweetSue said:

When I'm not falling down the rabbit hole of weird 60s psychedelic, I'm spinning some Mamas and Papas, my go-to cheer up music :)

...and speaking of "...the rabbit hole of weird 60s psychedelic...", SweetSue: 

• Like 1
On 2/8/2021 at 12:06 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Velvet Underground and Nico.jpg

The Velvet Underground And Nico -Mar 1967

The dark side of the 1960s, not the Summer Of Love with peace and flowers. It begins with the gentle "Sunday Morning" which is very different from what comes after. "I'm Waiting For The Man" brings us to a white boy standing on the corner uptown while waiting for his drug dealer, Lou Reed shows us his strange but effective style of talk/singing. Nico sings lead on "Femme Fatale", she has a ghostly monotone voice with a rough German accent, and she is also effective on this tale of a "little tease" who will make a fool of you. "Venus In Furs" is one of the best on the album, a haunting, hypnotic look into the perverse world of S&M. Nico sings "All Tomorrow's Parties" about a girl who lives for the party scene but has nothing else. "Heroin" is a powerful look at the life of a drug addict, the driving guitar gives a sense of the rush he gets from it. But he admits it will be the "death of me". My favorite of the Nico songs is "I'll Be Your Mirror", she somehow manages to sound a bit warm and friendly on this one. This ends with an experimental 7 minute song "European Son" with some sound effects and feedback.

I just saw the new documentary The Velvet Underground by Todd Haynes. I thought I would bump up my review of their first album

1 hour ago, SweetSue said:

Let's see what yall think of this 

"Hawkwind are an English rock band known as one of the earliest space rock groups." -- Wikipedia

Space Rock?

Undoubtedly, the cosmic sounds of Hawkwind will be on the playlist during celestial flights offered by astro-entrepreneurs Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk. If they're smart, they'll drop a needle on some Space Age Pop for us geezers.

• Like 1

Alexandra Whittingham, from lockdown last year, playing "Torijo" by Federico Moreno Torroba (1891-1982). 

This is one of a suite of pieces entitled Castillos de España (Castles of Spain) composed in two volumes and published in 1971 and 1978. Very Spanish but a little more contemporary-sounding than much of the classical guitar repertoire from Spain -  Torroba wrote for guitar but did not play it. This could almost be from the Southwestern USA at times to my ears 

• Like 1

A 'spoken word' country song with disco-ish background music from 1978 that charted in the Top 40.     

BILL ANDERSON - Double S

I hadn't heard this in years before it popped up on my 'Recommended For You' column on YouTube.  Funny that kinda stuff still pops up -- I've been banned from commenting on YouTube since last December . . . yet I still get 'Recommendations' on the right column.  And so it was time to listen to 'DOUBLE S' again. 

Velvetundergroundthirdalbum.jpg

The Velvet Underground - Mar 1969

This is an interesting album by the group, spare, muted instruments and introspective lyrics. The opener "Candy Says" is a poignant song about self loathing, it sung nicely by bassist Doug Yule. "What Goes On" has some distorted guitar and I couldn't catch all the lyrics. "Some Kinda Love" has some nice ringing guitar on it. A soft ballad "Pale Blue Eyes" has a nice chorus with Lou Reed crooning "Linger onnnnn your pale blue eyes", "Jesus" is a plaintive plea for help from above, beautiful harmony singing from Reed and Yule. "Beginning To See The Light" is an OK more uptempo tune. "I'm Set Free" is a simple song with nicely strumming electric guitar. "That's The Story Of My Life" is a short to the point song with good percussion. The most experimental song is "The Murder Mystery" an 8 minute song with hypnotic organ, garbled spoken word parts and nice interweaving vocals from all the members of the band. The last and my favorite is "After Hours" sung by drummer Maureen Tucker. It has a vaudevillian flavor in the melody. Tucker's singing is wonderfully nonchalant and the lyrics seem to be about shutting oneself off from the world, so the light cannot get in and the "night could last forever"