Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

I've heard this song around Christmastime every year for as long as I can remember and over time it has become such a comfort. I can imagine years down the road it will continue to bring a comforting nostalgia that will remind me of Christmases I can never get back.

15 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

I do believe you have officially given the ok to discuss holiday songs with this one, Allhallowsday! Thanks for kicking it off, looks like the holidays have officially begun!😁

November is my go-to month for "holiday" music... but certain albums I listen to all year... McCOY TYNER died last year, and his recording of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" is a perfect example of piano Jazz.  His recording captures all the emotion of the lyric, with only a tune we're all familiar with.  He was stunning.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

I've heard this song around Christmastime every year for as long as I can remember and over time it has become such a comfort. I can imagine years down the road it will continue to bring a comforting nostalgia that will remind me of Christmases I can never get back.

Baby!  I remember when it was new. :)

• Haha 1

I have started listening to holiday music as well, I will admit.

This is one of my favorites. This artist, Omodaka, has a wonderfully unique style where he combines chiptune music with traditional Japanese Enka style vocals. This particular tune is a traditional Japanese new year's song, I believe, mixed with a chiptune version of "Last Christmas."

At his best, Al Stewart is among the most poetic of pop lyricists, and several passages in "Roads to Moscow" can be read as poetry. The song tells the story of the German invasion of Russia in the summer of 1941, the Russian retreat, and the bitter winter that drove the Germans back from Moscow, and finally the Russian invasion of Germany and the battle of Berlin, ending with the story teller, who may or may not be Alexander Solzhenitsyn, being detained by the KGB.

And it's cold and damp in the transit camp, and the air is still and sullen
And the pale sun of October whispers the snow will soon be coming
And I wonder when I'll be home again and the morning answers "Never"
And the evening sighs, and the steely Russian skies go on forever

• Like 1

Earworm post. The title phrase must have popped into my head and triggered the song yesterday and it's still with me. Posting usually cures it. But it's not horrible. Very 80s. I remembered it as being around before the Fall of 87 but no. Wiki says JamesJazzGuitar's buddy Fee Waybill sang backup.

Can't tell who's prettier. Richard or the girl.

3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Earworm post. The title phrase must have popped into my head and triggered the song yesterday and it's still with me. Posting usually cures it. But it's not horrible. Very 80s. I remembered it as being around before the Fall of 87 but no. Wiki says JamesJazzGuitar's buddy Fee Waybill sang back-up. 

Can't tell who's prettier. Richard or the girl.

Fee Waybill and Richard Marx will be doing a show together in a few weeks here in So Cal.      Not a Tubes gig but a more mellow type of show that will feature each of their solo work.       Fee's wife just told my wife about this 2 days ago   (they are close friends which is how I meet Fee).

• Like 1
On 11/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, SweetSue said:

This performance reminded me of this one, they're way better, but poor John at 1:10 gets off track😂 

Although I dug this tune and most of the Top 40 hits by The Lovin' Spoonful, a little of John Sebastian went a looonnng way with me.

That said, his song Darlin' Be Home Soon is a significant reason why You're A Big Boy Now is a favorite movie of mine.

• Like 3
On 11/16/2021 at 2:44 PM, SweetSue said:

Can't say I'd ever get arrested as a Kenny Loggins fan. But, this tune has a major emotional impact on me -- for mysterious reasons that I am unable to explain. A lump always grows in my throat and my eyes uncontrollably become moist whenever I listen to it. That it has become a durable standard on the Christmas Music playlists of local radio stations instills and resurrects the joy of the Yuletide season for me. "Comforting nostalgia"? I wholeheartedly agree, and eloquently put, SweetSue! Thank you -- and thank you, Kenny Loggins!  -- for giving my tear ducts a much welcome, inexplicably pleasurable workout!

• Thanks 1
On 11/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, _Broadway_ said:

I have started listening to holiday music as well, I will admit.

This is one of my favorites. This artist, Omodaka, has a wonderfully unique style where he combines chiptune music with traditional Japanese Enka style vocals. This particular tune is a traditional Japanese new year's song, I believe, mixed with a chiptune version of "Last Christmas."

_Broadway_,

Thank you for sharing music from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Here's a peppy J-Pop tune performed by XAI (AKA Aika Sai) that enhances the anime Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters. For me, XAI's ethereal vocals complemented by the pounding, driving electronic beat of Masayuki Nakano's Disco-inflected arrangement musically inject "The Big G" and the kaiju eiga with a monster-sized dose of kewlness.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:29 PM, Eucalpytus P. Millstone said:

_Broadway_,

Thank you for sharing music from the Land of the Rising Sun.

Here's a peppy J-Pop tune performed by XAI (AKA Aika Sai) that enhances the anime Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters. For me, XAI's ethereal vocals complemented by the pounding, driving electronic beat of Masayuki Nakano's Disco-inflected arrangement musically inject "The Big G" and the kaiju eiga with a monster-sized dose of kewlness.

No problem! Thank you for sharing this lovely tune. I am quite fond of peppy J-Pop, so I am always happy to be introduced to new songs I had not heard before.