Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

movieman1957

The Doors - L.A. Woman.jpg

L.A. Woman by The Doors-Apr 1971

The group's sixth and final album. "The Changeling" is the opener, the musicians are clicking on all cylinders here, Morrison's voice is more tough and ragged than ever before. "Love Her Madly" is a catchy love song, a hit single (#11). "Been Down So Long" is tough bluesy song with an angry vocal from Jim. Another very stripped down blues song is "Car Hiss By Window" with only bass, guitar and muted drums. Jim sings it in very lazy, laid back style. The title song ends Side 1, it is raunchy tale of the sleazy side of the city with lyrics about "Motel, money, murder, madness". Great keyboards on here. Side 2 opens with "L'America" has an ominous beginning, never really sure of the meaning but the music is very good. "Hyacinth House" is the most gentle sounding sound on the album, nice guitar at the  beginning and Jim sings of wanting a "Brand new friend".  "The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat" is a good song with much of Jim's great poetry and images, he speaks the lyrics most of the way. They saved the best for last with "Riders On The Storm", an eerie, hypnotic tale of riding down the highway in storm. The rain sound effects and excellent keyboards give this a very memorable feel. Jim's voice is also haunting. So this ends the recording of this great quartet. I did not think this was their best, I preferred The Doors and Waiting For The Sun. but this was an interesting stripped down, jazzy, bluesy record some fine music. Too bad Morrison would be dead just months after this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Car Hiss By Window" with only bass, guitar and muted drums. Jim sings it in very lazy, laid back style. The title song ends Side 1, it is raunchy tale of the sleazy side of the city with lyrics about "Motel, money, murder, madness".

It's worth pointing out JIM MORRISON's impersonation of an electric guitar at the end of "Cars Hiss By My Window". 

The line in "L.A. Woman" citing "City of night..." is a reference to JOHN RECHY's novel City Of Night  (about male hustlers)  and of course  there is the anagram "Mr. Mojo Risin'..." in the song. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Doors - L.A. Woman.jpg

L.A. Woman by The Doors-Apr 1971

The group's sixth and final album. "The Changeling" is the opener, the musicians are clicking on all cylinders here, Morrison's voice is more tough and ragged than ever before. "Love Her Madly" is a catchy love song, a hit single (#11). "Been Down So Long" is tough bluesy song with an angry vocal from Jim. Another very stripped down blues song is "Car Hiss By Window" with only bass, guitar and muted drums. Jim sings it in very lazy, laid back style. The title song ends Side 1, it is raunchy tale of the sleazy side of the city with lyrics about "Motel, money, murder, madness". Great keyboards on here. Side 2 opens with "L'America" has an ominous beginning, never really sure of the meaning but the music is very good. "Hyacinth House" is the most gentle sounding sound on the album, nice guitar at the  beginning and Jim sings of wanting a "Brand new friend".  "The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat" is a good song with much of Jim's great poetry and images, he speaks the lyrics most of the way. They saved the best for last with "Riders On The Storm", an eerie, hypnotic tale of riding down the highway in storm. The rain sound effects and excellent keyboards give this a very memorable feel. Jim's voice is also haunting. So this ends the recording of this great quartet. I did not think this was their best, I preferred The Doors and Waiting For The Sun. but this was an interesting stripped down, jazzy, bluesy record some fine music. Too bad Morrison would be dead just months after this.

My favorite Doors lp. Soundin good tonight. Thanks.

THE DOORS  L.A. Woman 

4291.jpg

This album is the first DOORS album I bought at an indoor flea market that had been a Great Eastern... around 1978... the album was always a favorite that reminds of even earlier times (when Riders On The Storm had been a hit).  I read that JIM MORRISON slouched down with his hands on his knees so that in the cover photo he'd appear shorter than the other members of the band... 

3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

LES PAUL & MARY FORD The Columbia Singles Collection 

090431686324.jpg

This recording are "fun" but also annoying since Paul used technical gimmicks to speed up his guitar riffs.    Since there wasn't pitch control software back in this era one can tell the pitch is off and the overall sounds has a squeal impact to my ears.         Note that for the beginning riff of  A Hard Day's Night another Paul suggested to George Martin that they use the same gimmick.