Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

movieman1957

2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

GRAHAM KARTNA ... never heard of him.  Not bad; listening now. 

He's not super well-known, unfortunately. I ran across his music while watching incredibly stupid, yet entertaining videos on YouTube that someone used his music in.

I am glad you are giving his music a listen! It's quite different, but I think it is super creative and a sort of controlled chaos. Though there are many different rhythms and sound effects going on at once, each one is perfectly placed and the song would not be the same without them. I really wonder how he comes up with his ideas! Personally, I would be overwhelmed with coming up with something so complicated.

Here are a few of my favorite picks from across his discography:

25 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

There are other artists doing the cut/paste scrambled palette thing, I'm sure someone better acquainted with modern music might know a label...   

Yeah, I'd love to know if there is a "genre" for this kind of music, and other artists who do this kind of thing. I don't know a lot about music, honestly.

There is another artist, Pogo, who does a lot of sampling from movies and tv shows, but his music is much more structured.

8 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

ROYKSOPP

Thanks for the recommendation! I am enjoying the synths in the songs you posted.

I also just listened to the song "So Easy" from that album and I love the distant, dreamy vocals. I have actually been recently searching for music like that with 1960s vocals, but with a distant, vaporwave-esque sound. You've read my mind! I will have to listen to more of this artist.

Appreciating Lindsey Buckingham. No reason. A singing, songwriting, record producing guitarist who (almost) never uses a pick. (He began as a bluegrass player and was inspired by banjo playing techniques.) Here he is with his familiar white Les Paul Custom from his early days with Mac. 

When faced a few years ago with having to replace him, Mick Fleetwood said something like, No one can do the things Lindsey does. They'd be a fool to try.

• Like 1

Here he is with a telecaster (he used it on his first Mac album) souped up with custom pickups and apparently modified with a contoured upper body, likely done by his guitar tech and future custom luthier Rick Turner. The audio is crap compared to the recording - the stinging quality of the lead break is missing - but seeing him with the tele is fun.

Stevie refers to "Go Your Own Way" as "Lindsey's Rumors." I'm guessing he doesn't it like when she says that. And she knows it.

Not a Lindsey song but a great performance. Here he plays a custom made guitar by Rick Turner, one of many built just for him. They were at peak financial success by this time and you can see Mick is enjoying himself thoroughly.

They played the Cotton Bowl twice in the summer of 78. At the show I saw, this was their encore number and may have been the debut performance. That night, Lindsey wore jeans with a buckle you could see from the 50 yard line, cowboy boots and a western shirt. Stevie, it seemed, had a hairstyle and wardrobe change after each number. I was about 15 yards from the stage, packed in like steerage with the others. I think that was when I said. "Never again!" to festivals. But I'm glad I was there.

• Like 1

Some solo work - seriously, he plays everything but the keys and cowbell on this track - from Lindsey's 1984 release Go Insane. I remember a promo interview where he named among his influences for this album the German composer Karkheinz Stockhausen (1928 - 2007) who specialized in electronic music using aleatory, or chance, techniques and serialization. Lindsey's stuff is a little more listenable, I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings