Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

Those particular songs, especially Uncle Albert, put me in mind of some very specific places and times of my childhood. Thanks so much for posting them!

Always loved this one as well, from that time:

I was in junior high and in my music class if we finished early we could play some 45s until class was over. They didn't have a lot but they did have "Uncle Albert" but I wanted to flip side which was "Too Many People." The problem was nearly everyone else always wanted to hear Rod Stewart's "Maggie May."

I hate that song to this day. For me it was bad enough that it was all over the radio but to have to listen to it in class was just too much.

Oh that's so funny, Chris! I never liked that one either! I much prefer You Wear it Well, but frankly, Rod just isn't my cup of tea.

Uncle Albert has really strong memories for me about me and my mom moving to Illinois. It was a special time for me, being able to sort of start over, with more freedom and responsibility. And the song itself always had an eerie quality that seemed kind of like a dream to me, it still feels fresh and I love the Britishness of it. I also love the way Paul was putting together slightly complex segmented songs at this point - there's something energetic about it - adding a classical feel or something more interesting to the standard pop song. It's a sort of a precursor to Band on the Run. Later on he would lose a bit of energy with Wings, not that I don't now appreciate those songs too.

Uncle Albert also has that electric moment when the phone ring starts in, and then that voice at the other end of the receiver begins reciting the lyrics.... it gives me a kind of a shiver every time the receiver picks up, with that trippy little percolation of drum taps aligning itself again to the beat of the music in the background.

I really enjoy hearing how music is so powerful or evokes responses or memories. Nothing in my life was so eventful to trigger those kinds of thoughts. There are many songs that resonate mostly for me about my bride. Neil Diamond's version of "The Shelter of Your Arms" and Bread's "The Chosen One are favorites for us. They are beautiful songs that made them more special because the radio never wore them out, if they played them at all, and if you weren't a fan of either then you probably wouldn't know them.

We danced at our wedding to "The Shelter of Your Arms" and now and then I'll pull it up on my ipod when CA doesn't know it and play it for her.

She did pay me a nice compliment when I played a piece for her called "Of Home" by Kurt Bestor. (He's a new age artist.) She told me it sounded like something I would write.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWY56ptaHUY

That's one of the nicest Neil Diamond songs I've ever heard, Chris! I really liked it/ It's sweet that you still play these for CA. Andrew and I need to get back into doing that kind of thing too.

I was never a fan of Neil's, but that one I like a lot. I may have to investigate Bread and Neil Diamond a little more, now that I am older and wiser. In some ways, I was always tolerant of different types of music, but at the time they were popular, I was in high school and was sneering at everything "soft".

Neil didn't write that one. It goes back to around 1962 or so but I think it is a grand arrangement. For me the best songs on anyone's albums I have are not the hits.

I could do a very nice compilation for you.

I appreciate that, Chris, but I don't want you to go to any trouble - if you point me to particular songs that you like, maybe I would get a good idea of the things I might like... so a list might be nice, and is not as much trouble. :D

Scottman, thanks for posting Kanui and Lula, it is indeed a brilliant song. Coincidentally I have this song on a CD called Blue Hawaii. I would have posted some Hawaiian music but I didn't think anyone would be interested.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Bach and Mildred Bailey. That's my kind of radio station.

I was not aware of this great composers works until quite recently, but the more I hear, the more I like.

*Gluck - Iphigenie en Aulide Overture*

Beautiful solo piano

*Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EboTnztqyMI

Even the dust and scratches sound cool.

*Lionel Hampton Sextet with Dinah Washington - Blow Top Blues*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJ0JJlhoiY

Best wishes

Metairie Road