Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

Yesterday the Library of Congress announced its twenty-five recordings being inducted into the National Recording Registry. This is a program akin to the National Film Registry that was started a few decades ago.

For 2011 the following recordings have been added to the Registry -

(Listed Chronologically)

1. Edison Talking Doll cylinder. (1988)

A tiny cylinder intended to be inside a dolly featuring a recording of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" by an Edison staffer.

2. "Come Down Ma Evenin' Star," Lillian Russell (1912)

The only surviving recording of Lillian Russell.

3. "Ten Cents a Dance," Ruth Etting (1930)

Singer Ruth Etting was one of the first great singers of the electrical era of recording, the period after the mid-1920s when the microphone replaced the acoustic recording horn.

4. "Voices from the Days of Slavery," Various speakers (1932-1941 interviews; 2002 compilation)

24 interviews with former African-American slaves.

5. "I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart," Patsy Montana (1935)

Singer Patsy Montana's signature song. Her song's lively, quick polka tempo and yodeling refrain, and Montana's exuberant delivery, resulted in it being requested at every performance. The song became one of the first hits by a female country-and-western singer.

6. "Fascinating Rhythm," Sol Hoopii and his Novelty Five (1938)

In the 1890s, Hawaiian musicians began playing open-tuned guitars. Hoopii emerged as its greatest exponent, applying it to traditional hulas, ragtime, jazz and pop.

7. "Artistry in Rhythm," Stan Kenton & and his Orchestra (1943)

That Stan Kenton led a jazz orchestra, not a dance band, is obvious from the first notes of "Artistry in Rhythm." This was no smooth, melodic song intended for swaying couples in the big-band ballrooms, but a complex jazz concert piece.

8. Debut performance with the New York Philharmonic, Leonard Bernstein (November 14, 1943)

25-year-old Leonard Bernstein, then the little-known assistant conductor of the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York, made his conducting debut with the ensemble as a last-minute substitute. The concert was broadcast live across the country by CBS Radio.

9. International Sweethearts of Rhythm: Hottest Women's Band of the 1940s (1944-1946)

The International Sweethearts of Rhythm was an interracial all women jazz band formed in the late 1930s at the Piney Woods Country Life School, a boarding school for African-American children in Mississippi. The band made very few commercial recordings, but toured extensively in the 1940s, performing in Europe as well as at predominantly African-American theaters.

10. "The Indians for Indians Hour" (March 25, 1947)

Radio show "The Indians for Indians Hour" aired on the University of Oklahoma?s WNAD in Norman, Okla., from 1941 until 1985. It was a weekly venue for Native American music and cultural exchange featuring guests and music from 18 tribes reached by the station?s signal.

11. "Hula Medley," Gabby Pahinui (1947)

Gabby Pahinui was a master of slack-key guitar. Often the thumb plays rhythm on the lower strings, while the fingers play the melody on the higher strings. Pahinui made some of the first modern recordings in this genre, including the lovely instrumental "Hula Medley" in 1947.

12. "I Can Hear It Now," Fred W. Friendly and Edward R. Murrow (1948)

"I Can Hear It Now" was an unlikely hit?a collection of speech excerpts and news reports from 1933 to 1945 featuring a wide array of speakers from Will Rogers to Adolph Hitler.

13. "Let's Go Out to the Programs," The Dixie Hummingbirds (1953)

At the time of its release, "Let?s Go Out to the Programs" was considered to be a novelty, but it now stands as a celebration of a golden age of African-American gospel music.

14. "Also Sprach Zarathustra," Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1954, 1958)

Richard Strauss? "Also Sprach Zarathustra" was recorded several times during the 78 rpm era, but had to wait for magnetic tape, superior microphones and advances in disc mastering for its extremely wide dynamics to be fully captured as recorded sound. The album?s 1958 release in RCA?s Living Stereo line showed just how great the recording and performance were.

15. "Bo Diddley" and "I'm a Man," Bo Diddley (1955)

Bo Diddley played guitar with a small group, drawing inspiration from the polyrhythmic song and music emanating from storefront churches, a pulsing blend that he distilled into the song "Bo Diddley," the A-side of his first single.

16. "Green Onions," Booker T. & the M.G.'s (1962)

Booker T. & the M.G.?s were a rarity when they were formed in the early 1960s?a racially integrated rhythm-and-blues group. They were playing around in the studio in early 1962 when they came up with two catchy instrumentals. "Green Onions" was originally intended as the B-side to "Behave Yourself," but was quickly reissued as the A-side, then later as the title cut to their first LP.

17. "Forever Changes," Love (1967)

Love was an integrated psychedelic band from Los Angeles that played an aggressively original mix of rock, folk and blues. The fusion of psychedelic, mainstream and classical styles, now seen as a landmark, found few takers at the time.

18. "The Continental Harmony: Music of William Billings," Gregg Smith Singers (1969)

Composer William Billings published six collections of his choral music between 1770 and 1794. His "New England Psalm Singer" (1770) was the first tune book devoted entirely to the compositions of a single American composer. Billings was largely self-taught, yet his a cappella choral writing, featuring the melody in the tenor, created an indigenous sacred music that expanded the musical language of America. This recording by the Gregg Smith Singers, a 16-member choral ensemble dedicated to the performance of American music, helped re-introduce Billings? music to the world.

19. "A Charlie Brown Christmas," Vince Guaraldi Trio (1970)

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" introduced jazz to millions of listeners. The television soundtrack album includes expanded themes from the animated "Peanuts" special of the same name as well as jazz versions of both traditional and popular Christmas music.

20. "Coat of Many Colors," Dolly Parton (1971)

Dolly Parton's autobiographical song, "Coat of Many Colors," affectionately recounts an impoverished childhood in the hills of Tennessee that was made rich by the love of her family. The song was instrumental in establishing Parton?s credibility as a songwriter.

21. "Mothership Connection," Parliament (1975)

"Ain?t nothin? but a party, y?all" intones George Clinton on the title track of this lively and rhythmic funk album.

22. Barton Hall concert by the Grateful Dead (May 8, 1977)

Fans of the Grateful Dead will never completely agree about which one of their over 2,300 concerts was the best, but there is some consensus about the tape of their Barton Hall performance at Cornell University on May 8, 1977. The soundboard recording of this show has achieved almost mythic status among "Deadhead" tape traders because of its excellent sound quality and early accessibility, as well as its musical performances.

23. "I Feel Love," Donna Summer (1977)

Brian Eno famously declared after hearing Donna Summer?s single "I Feel Love" that the track would "change the sound of club music for the next 15 years." Moog synthesizers produced nearly all the sounds on the record, including synthesized bass drums and cymbals. Particularly notable was the bass line that Belotte has described as "a giant?s hammer on a wall." When the thunderous sound was combined with Summer?s breathy and ethereal vocal, the cut?as Eno predicted--took the clubs by storm.

24. "Rapper's Delight," Sugarhill Gang (1979)

The Sugarhill Gang?s infectious dance number from late 1979 might be said to have launched an entire genre. Although spoken word had been a component of recorded American popular music for decades, this trio?s rhythmic rhyming inspired many future MCs and rap artists.

25. "Purple Rain," Prince and the Revolution (1984)

Prince was already a hit-maker and a critically acclaimed artist when his sixth album, the soundtrack for his 1984 movie debut, launched him into superstardom.

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2012/12-107.html

http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/registry/nrpb-masterlist.html

http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/onlinecollections.html

*"Very interesting list of songs and recordings. Thanks for posting this Kyle!"* - Scottman

You're Welcome. Happy to do it. I've always noticed this thread being quite eclectic in its musical tastes so I thought the readers here would be intrigued with the list of inductees.

I've been listening to a lot of "spoken word" recordings lately - mostly news reports, etc. Hearing a radio station's complete 24-hour broadcast from June 6th, 1944 is very interesting. Did you know that U.S. news organizations first learned of the Normandy Invasion from German news reports in Europe?

And I just noticed that I mis-dated the first entry. The Edison Doll Cylinder is from 1888 and not 1988. It is the first known example of a recording made for purely commercial (or sales) purposes. I guess commercial sales of cylinders wouldn't become common for a few more years.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, have you checked out the "Nation's Forum" collection at the Library of Congress website?

Nation's Forum was a record label put out by Columbia records during WW1 that had speeches from many prominant people of the time (both in politics and in private sector). They also relased some recordings for the 1920 presidential election. I have several Nation's Forum recordings in my own 78rpm collection, but it is nice to find a complete run of these interesting historical documents available for everyone to hear.

Edited by: Scottman on May 25, 2012 12:27 PM for grammar. D'oh!

I love a lot of music totally unrelated genres...

But right now i'm listening a playlist with all songs performed by Donald O'Connor :x (from soundtracks and live shows... I madly love the man!! and i think his voice is beyond gorgeous...) also Marlene Dietrich (role model), Ella Fitzgerald, Édith Piaf, Cab Calloway, Billie Holliday, Marilyn Monroe, Bobby Darin, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland and Squirrel Nut Zippers....

Wow. The song currently playing on my ipod is "Bayou Bumpin" by the Squirrel Nut Zippers! LOL

Great Topic!!!!!!!!!!

SOUNDTRACKS:

Exactly at this moment the "Drive" soundtrack, I loved that film. I love listening to it, because the film blew my mind.

One of my all time favorites is "A Single Man" soundtrack, just breathtaking, this music will take all of the sadness in your soul out of you as if it can read your mind, my favorite two: Swimming:

& Stillness of the Mind:

I love Las Vegas Philarmonic playing James Bond themes album, it's amazing!

And I always check out MAD MEN soundtracks because it has been introducing me to some great songs

..and music that I hate well Pitbull, Jlo, Rihanna, NIcky Minaj, Shakira etc etc So annoying, they really should do humanity a favor and just quit

They were one of the first bands to sign with The Beatles' label, Apple Records.

The group was known as The Iveys, but The Beatles renamed them "Badfinger" after their road manager, Neil Aspinall, came up with the name. He got the idea from John Lennon, who used to talk about his "Bad Finger Boo

After Apple Records folded, they signed with Warner Brothers. The group was doing very well when Warner Brothers discovered money missing from their accounts. They pulled their albums and sued the band, effectively ending their ca

Despondent over their business problems, Ham hanged himself in 1975. In 1983, Evans also hanged him

All 4 members wrote some songs, but Ham wrote most of their hits, including "Day After Day," "No Matter What," and "Baby Blue." Ham also wrote the Harry Nillson hit "Without You." (thanks, don - rapid city

The group played on George Harrison's first solo album *All Things Must Pass

The Warner Brothers lawsuit was finally settled in 1985, with the 2 remaining members and the families of the 2 deceased receiving a settlement for royal

Evans and Molland got together and released the last 2 Badfinger albums in 1979 and 1981.

Do you have Katharine Whalen's Jazz Squad album? (she is the female lead singer of the Zippers).

Great album especially for fans of classic movies and 40s era music. I highly recommend it.

Been listening to a lot of English music recently. So, in honor of Queen Elizabeth's diamond jubilee I'll start with a fanfare.

*Major W. Jackson - Fanfare Royale*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08RGkvyH6U

Bantock has been accused of being an incurable romantic. So he was, God bless him. Superb.

*Sir Granville Bantock - Celtic Symphony for 6 harps and strings*

*Royal Philharmonic Orchestra*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKYvGBjGAW0

And now for a little something from the peasants

One of the great English Folk/Rock bands

*Lindisfarne - Lady Eleanor*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvEjnolbyl0

Any excuse to play some Kate Bush

*Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w_m86INkbw

Best Wishes

Metairie Road

I've never forgotten this beautiful tune when I first heard snippets of it in THE HOWLING.

Saturday was *Woody Guthrie's* 100th birthday.

*Pretty Boy Floyd:*

*Ramblin Round:*

*Car Song:*

*Grassy Grass Grass*

*Hobo's Lullaby:*

If your kids or your grandkids don't know this one, please teach it to them. I just found out my daughter never learned this one in school, which shocked me.

*This Land Is Your Land:*