Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

FRANK--OHIO. I love Cyndi Lauper but I'm not sure her body of work is sufficient to get her into the R&R Hall of Fame. I remember watching mesmerized the first time I saw her video 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' on MTV (My God, thirty years ago). I think that was the last time I watched MTV.

Here are my nominees. Criminally neglected thus far (IMO).

Burt Bacharach and Hal David in the songwriting (non-performing) category.

Dionne Warwick - Do You Know the Way to San Jose

Jimmy Webb, same category. Great songwriter but not the best performer of his own songs, his voice was flat.

Johnny Rivers recorded this before Glen Campbell did his version.
Johnny Rivers - By The Time I Get To Phoenix

Best wishes
Metairie Road

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLlOFcEhH-4This takes up the whole B-side of the album. I used to take my girlfriend out after 12:00 AM when it was pitch black outside. I'd drive slowly down a 1-lane, twisty, unlit country back road with all the lights out. The road twisted and turned like a piece of licorice tied into a bow-tie. There were many old trees that had grown outward, bulging into the country lane, their gnarly arms reaching out for us as we passed - like an Icabod Crane tale. I had this on 8-Track playing softly. She still has my right arm and won't give it back..

If I'm not mistaken, nearly all of this version was improvised LIVE onstage to cover for two band members which hadn't showed up for their concert yet - their plane was late. All I can say is.. Not bad.. Not bad at all.

My car has a six disc player and then I have a radio FM tuner to listen to my iPOD, which works pretty good except for when someone decides that they're going to use my precious 96.7 which as of right now is pretty much dead. 

-I've been listening to the various episodes of The Lux Radio Theater Podcasts (via my radio tuner) that starred Errol Flynn.

My CD player has:

51baZAibi%2BL._AA160_.jpg

Disc #1 & #2, Judy Garland: Live at Carnegie Hall

41P4P9XTNBL._AA160_.jpg

Disc #3 & #4 Cocktail Hour: Fred Astaire

51R1q5Vie4L._AA160_.jpg

Disc #5 Classic Sinatra-- I just love One For My Baby (and One For the Road)

51jQwY%2BPnhL._AA160_.jpg

Disc #6 Christmas with the Rat Pack; I thought I had a more modern choice-- Pearl Jam, and I went to listen to it and nope, it was a Christmas album.  Now I might as well keep it in the car, it'll be the holidays soon enough and I can only tolerate specific Christmas songs and Christmas song performers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jimmy Webb, same category. Great songwriter but not the best performer of his own songs, his voice was flat.

While I agree with you mostly about Webb's voice I think he does the most interesting interpretations compared to the hit versions of his songs. 

If you've never heard his album "Ten Easy Pieces" I would recommend it. Introspective versions of "Galveston" and especially "The Worst That Could Happen" give me a whole different thought on those songs. It is mostly him and the piano. His album "Suspending Disbelief" is also interesting more for the writing and production.

If you like Webb songs done by someone else there is Art Garfunkel's 1977 (or so) album "Watermark."  

• Like 1

movieman1957, I own the CD "Ten Easy Pieces" but it's not a CD I listen to a whole lot. I still prefer to listen to his songs performed by more talented singers. I don't say this to diminish his amazing talent as a songwriter - I wish I had such a talent. His singing skills and mine are about the same however.

My listening pleasures are all over the place at the moment. Who cares about genre? If it's good, it's good.

Duke Ellington said something along those lines in an interview, but I've forgotten the exact quote.

A lovely Reggae version of my favorite Grateful Dead song.
Israel Vibration - Black Muddy River

Don't know if they ever showed any George Formby movies on TCM. If they did, I missed 'em.

George Formby - Mr Wu's A Window Cleaner Now

For relaxation

Wagner - Lohengrin prelude

Best wishes
Metairie Road

• 2 weeks later...