Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

I'm listening to the birds chirp outside my window. They're having a "conversation" with other birds down the street. I'm nestled against a hill so the sounds seem to echo, reverberate. It's a regular aviary out there.

• Like 1

As it was record store day today, I went to my local record shop, and found the soundtrack for "That's Entertainment" and Good News/In the Good Old Summertime/Two Weeks with Love (from the "Those Glorious MGM Musicals" series). I've been listening to them on and off today. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 6:22 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  I have never understood what audiences at the time saw in Jolson that would make him so popular.   To me he isn't a good dancer, singer,  or entertainer.       

I wonder if it was a generational thing; I.e.  I just don't like the 'style' of entertainers from that era.    So who were the other entertainers that audience at the time liked as much as Jolson?     

Hahah, I can't say Jolson is a particular favorite of mine from that era, tho I do find him kinda entertaining. More so than some of his contemporaries, Billy Murray, Vernon Dalhart, Henry Burr and the like, yet I don't think any of them were ever as popular as Jolson. Gene Austin was a big one, too, tho his famous versions of "Bye Bye, Blackbird" and "My Blue Heaven" pale in comparison to the Nick Lucas versions, I think...

I actually really love Nick Lucas. Very talented fella. I like his distinctive, piano-roll-ish guitar style, (a popular sound for banjo players at the time,) and I find that his high, clear singing voice has a stronger backbone to it than many of the other popular crooners at the time, (warble-y, off-key singing seemed to practically be a trademark of the genre. Not that I'm some kinda "on-key" snob!) Among all popular performers of this era, Nick Lucas is probably my most favorite.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2010 at 3:35 PM, MissGoddess said:

Nat "King" Cole, how could I leave him off. I need to get one of his CDs, I used to listen to him more often. Love that creamy voice!

Along w/Tony Bennett-(l926-) Cole was The Chairman of the Board: Francis (Albert) Sinatra's favorite to just listen to the most, but he thought Dino was the funniest guy on this planet!

Finally listened to all 189 episodes (some repeats) of the Sons of the Pioneers "Teleways" radio program that are available on YT, and I've heard the "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" theme so many times that my head's liable to snap off and roll away. These shows are pretty close to them at their best; my only complaints would be about the unnecessary, gimmicky extra accompaniment from such un-western implements as vibraphone, Hammond organ and Ken Carson. Now I either have to start in on them over again or move on to the Festus-era "Lucky U Ranch" programs...

Gotta say, tho, as much as I listen to them I am constantly in awe at how much Hugh Farr adds to their sound- not just for his wonderful violin playing, but also for his soft bass voice which enhances their harmonies with a rich, resounding plateau. It's an amazing ingredient, and such serendipity that they got a voice like that as an added bonus with purchase of fiddler.

Here's a nice clip with Hugh playing and singing, both, discreetly elevating everything about the music. This is not my favorite song, nor my favorite era of the band, with Festus, er, Ken Curtis singing lead, and Bob Nolan since replaced by sound-alike Tommy Doss- but Hugh is good.

• Like 2

Just to add something I favor a bit more... I find the Sons' harmonies sound their most beautiful when Lloyd Perryman's voice is in the front, (maybe even as beautiful as his voice is by itself,) and his presence was never more fetching than it is here.

Just one more, with Lloyd's tenor in the front again, but this time with Hugh singing bass, resulting in an especially lush sound. Bob Nolan sings the solo.

I'll stop now....

I've been listening to some classic tunes by Tommy Roe. 

"Sweet Pea" is a really infectious number. I also like his version of "Cinnamon" a lot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TalkTalk123 said:

Interesting take here;    Yea,  the band isn't playing anything very difficult;  E.g. they stay in one key,  are very, very root based,  uses the ONE as THE beat,,,,   but they are super tight and locked in, and have a groove.    Really just another way of saying;  it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing  (applied to R&R).

• Like 1

This group has a pretty unique sound in the gypsy jazz vein. It's refreshing to hear! So many artists in this style sound like they are playing so close to the Django mold and not adding a whole lot to it.

• Like 1

If not online then the tv, if online Madonna-(not her music so much, but must see her in action simultaneously), *Francis Albert Sinatra, Motion Picture scores-(have *Max Steiner, *J. Williams now 87, *Ennio=(for his fans check out him & his magnificent score for Once Upon a Time in the West, finally getting it's due & has an entire orchestra with him) by the way he's now age 91. *B. Herrmann,etc

& there is a ton of *Morricone besides West, just punch it in.  Not so much on wat I call *The Great: Spencer Tracy of composers ion *Max Steiner unfortunately though I put all in favs

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

This group has a pretty unique sound in the gypsy jazz vein. It's refreshing to hear! So many artists in this style sound like they are playing so close to the Django mold and not adding a whole lot to it.

DUBLIN, HUH    I'D LIKE TO MOVE THERE  THE RIVER SHANNON-(my last name) IS THE LARGEST IN ALL OF IRELAND & CAN EVEN BE VEWED ON A WORLD GLOBE  They mention it in THE QUIET MAN

I should no this, given the Oscars, but whats the title of the main theme song in a terrific (***1/2) little Irish movie called  ONCE  It won Best 0. Song Gold?

16 minutes ago, Kay said:

thanks Kay

On 5/13/2019 at 9:45 PM, Kay said:

Finally listened to all 189 episodes (some repeats) of the Sons of the Pioneers "Teleways" radio program that are available on YT, and I've heard the "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" theme so many times that my head's liable to snap off and roll away. These shows are pretty close to them at their best; my only complaints would be about the unnecessary, gimmicky extra accompaniment from such un-western implements as vibraphone, Hammond organ and Ken Carson. Now I either have to start in on them over again or move on to the Festus-era "Lucky U Ranch" programs...

Gotta say, tho, as much as I listen to them I am constantly in awe at how much Hugh Farr adds to their sound- not just for his wonderful violin playing, but also for his soft bass voice which enhances their harmonies with a rich, resounding plateau. It's an amazing ingredient, and such serendipity that they got a voice like that as an added bonus with purchase of fiddler.

Here's a nice clip with Hugh playing and singing, both, discreetly elevating everything about the music. This is not my favorite song, nor my favorite era of the band, with Festus, er, Ken Curtis singing lead, and Bob Nolan since replaced by sound-alike Tommy Doss- but Hugh is good.

middle actor was among Ford's sock company later

I'm positive you won't out Louise-(Madonna) up there, but how about a few music scores as used in the movie i.e,. *Out of Africa, Glory, Once Upon a Time in America-(ending), Jaws, Giant,etc  or any frm AFI's 2006 list  SW, *GWTW, *Lawrence.., *GFI, Psycho, Vertigo, The all-time ending Chaplinhimsekf composed Smile from Modern Times & so on?  I don't of course mean all, just some suggestions   Magificent 7 (l960 version) is yet another *Sinatra singing the Oscar winning High Hopes & though most hate her, this song did win the Academy Gold from Evita You Must love Me

thank you

On 2/20/2019 at 6:39 PM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Information Please!

Where can I find Warren Zevon's 'Werewolves of London' --specifically the one which he did LIVE in Philadelphia? I think that's the best version of it he ever did, but it's dang hard to find!

Soundtrack to TE COLOR OF MONEY

On 4/19/2010 at 11:15 AM, movieman1957 said:

Yes, I am stealing an idea from a friend at another playground to find out what the group here might have recently been enjoying on their stereo of choice.

With the other music threads running very nice daily video treats I though one where we could talk about music we have been listening to might be a little change of pace. Be it classical, pop, rock, country, new age, jazz, film soundtracks or whatever the current forms are (badly showing my age here) tell us what and why.

Critique your favorite, or even least favorite album. Suggest something for someone else. Share a concert experience. Comment on your favorite songwriters or composers. Compare different versions of the same song. Maybe you play an instrument or write songs. Tell us about it.

Anything on music is up for discussion.

So then, what have you been listening to?

MARVELOUS TOPIC PAL

On 4/19/2010 at 4:06 PM, butterscotchgreer said:

Oh wait, wasn't it with Tommy Dorsey's band and just not by himself?

Tommy Dorsey turned out to be a real JERK!  Longer story for another time

I'm listening to the "You Must Remember This" podcast, specifically the series on the Hollywood Blacklist. Right now I'm hearing the story on Charlie Chaplin's exile from the US.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:46 PM, spence said:

MARVELOUS TOPIC PAL

I haven't been on here in some time but it certainly looks to be popular. My tastes aren't broad enough for it to be too interesting for my posts but glad others have taken it on.

Hve fun.