Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

Recommended Posts

On 3/24/2011 at 12:32 PM, movieman1957 said:

CA loves them. My daughter even wants their version of "Daddy's Little Girl" at her wedding, whenever that will be.

And it happened just as she wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that jazz guitarist Eddie Duran,  passed on November 22nd.      

He lived in San Francisco.       I assume most don't know about him,  but have likely heard him.

He was the guitarist on the Vince Guraldi recordings.      (the pianist best know for playing the music on A Charlie Brown Christmas,,,,   the Snoopy song).

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm watching the 1949 Little Women.  It's like a Meet Me in St. Louis reunion: Mary Astor, Leon Ames, Margaret O'Brien, and Henry Davenport are all in this film. I'm surprised they didn't cast Donald Crisp as the doctor--he always seems to play the longtime family doctor in these period films.

I think June Allyson looked better after Jo chops off all her hair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite topic! 

I've was listening to THE ROLLING STONES Exile On Main Street and Emotional Rescue.

I listen to all types of music.  Today, THE ORIGINAL CARTER FAMILY Can The Circle Be Unbroken and BOB WILLS & HIS TEXAS PLAYBOYS  The Essential Bob Wills 1935-1947 

61GclWpKnPL._SY355_.jpg

R-11079723-1544915506-7779.jpeg.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

My favorite topic! 

I've was listening to THE ROLLING STONES Exile On Main Street and Emotional Rescue

I listen to all types of music.  Today, THE ORIGINAL CARTER FAMILY Can The Circle Be Unbroken and BOB WILLS & HIS TEXAS PLAYBOYS  The Essential Bob Wills 1935-1947

You didn't work in radio by any chance, did you?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

You didn't work in radio by any chance, did you?

I'm not sure what you mean, but when I had lots of vinyl I had some of the collections of radio hits with famous DJs offering commentary.  I think I also have cassette tapes of radio programs from the 30 - 50s.  I do listen to old radio broadcasts at YouTube once in awhile.  If it's good programming or music, I'll listen... Oh!  And I had a handful of radio broadcasts on vinyl of great conductors like TOSCANINI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 11:20 AM, LawrenceA said:

You didn't work in radio by any chance, did you?

Oh boy. Here we go again. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BILL EVANS TRIO Waltz For Debby 

41ncpLDdrUL._SY355_.jpg 

 

BILL EVANS TRIO Sunday At The Village Vanguard 

51aWxHiVaNL._SY355_.jpg 

 

DIZZY GILLESPIE The Complete RCA Victor Recordings- 1937-1949

0000848995.jpg 

 


ELTON JOHN Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player  

51RLwmJah-L._SY355_.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 10:34 AM, Allhallowsday said:

SAMMY DAVIS JR. Sings LAURINDO ALMEIDA Plays

417H3M32HAL.jpg

I see that you like a lot of different types of music.       I admit that my interests (both listening and playing) are limited;   mostly jazz,   and other than that classic British Invasion rock. 

Laurindo Almeida was a great "fusion" artist,   and a first rate guitar player.     He started the L.A. Four and I was lucky to see them a few times since I have lived in So Cal since birth.     He was feature in a Peter Gunn episode (the show that made the best use of jazz music of any show).

Here is a classic tune:  Manha De Carnaval:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

... Laurindo Almeida was a great "fusion" artist,   and a first rate guitar player.     He started the L.A. Four and I was lucky to see them a few times since I have lived in So Cal since birth.     He was feature in a Peter Gunn episode (the show that made the best use of jazz music of any show).

How lucky for you to see them!  Have you ever listened to that SAMMY DAVIS JR. album?  It is wonderful! 

I got into watching Peter Gunn reruns about a year ago... mainly for the music! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

How lucky for you to see them!  Have you ever listened to that SAMMY DAVIS JR. album?  It is wonderful! 

I got into watching Peter Gunn reruns about a year ago... mainly for the music! 

Living 40 miles south of La La Land I have seen a lot fantastic jazz musicians,  especially back in the 1980 -  2000 when most of the studio work was done in LA by actual musicians (now they use sampling a lot!).       

I haven't heard that Sammy Davis Jr. album but I go to YouTube to listen to it.   Too very soulful artist so I'm sure it is wonderful like you say.

PS: I wonder why your avatar is "blank".    Typical when someone doesn't set one (like my Cagney playing guitar),   the system puts the first letter of their user-name,  or A in your case.    So it's odd yours is blank unless you set it to blank intentionally. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Living 40 miles south of La La Land I have seen a lot fantastic jazz musicians,  especially back in the 1980 -  2000 when most of the studio work was done in LA by actual musicians (now they use sampling a lot!).       

I haven't heard that Sammy Davis Jr. album but I go to YouTube to listen to it.   Too very soulful artist so I'm sure it is wonderful like you say.

PS: I wonder why your avatar is "blank".    Typical when someone doesn't set one (like my Cagney playing guitar),   the system puts the first letter of their user-name,  or A in your case.    So it's odd yours is blank unless you set it to blank intentionally. 

 

 

I fixed it; the pic has been there for days.  Thanks. 

I saw a lot of Pop Rock bands back in the '80s, very few this century. 

Here's that album at YouTube, it's just singing and guitar: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I have uploaded an image for my avatar, but apparently I didn't do it right.  Any advice would be welcome; when I go into my profile, I see the image as if it's my avatar... 

Your avatar is fine.     Willy  Wonka looking good!  Thanks for the link of music.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...