Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

19) Shot Of Love-very good and entertaining album, big improvement over the last one. It explodes with the title song first, a great rocker and some interesting lyrics. This is often called Dylan's final Christian album though only two songs "Property Of Jesus" and "Dead Man Dead Man" mention God and Jesus. Both are good songs especially the latter with a great reggae beat. My favorite track is a bluesy rocker on the second side called "Trouble". It ends with the long poetic "Every Grain Of Sand".

20) Infidels- a brilliant album with great lyrics and Dylan is reunited with Mark Knopfler to create his best since Slow Train Coming. The first track "Jokerman" has some of Dylan's best word play, recalling such songs as "Mr Tambourine Man" or "All Along The Watchtower'. There are tough, angry songs like "Neighborhood Bully" and "Man Of Peace" where Dylan warns sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace. "Union Sundown" is his first protest song in years, about slave labor used in other countries. My favorite is the last "Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight" one of his most poignant, pleading love songs.

21) Empire Burlesque-a letdown after the last masterpiece, with glossy 1980s synthesizer production. Still some good stuff on here. The first track "Tight Connection To My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love)" is my favorite, a catchy 80s pop song about a breakup . There are two nice tender love songs-"I'll Remember You" and "Emotionally Yours". It ends with a solo acoustic song "Dark Eyes", the first time in years we hear only Dylan on guitar and harmonica. An added bonus is this is the first time Dylan included all the lyrics on the inside sleeve.

• Like 1

22) Knocked Out Loaded-lesser Dylan album of covers and collaborations, but one burst of brilliance. "Brownsville Girl" is a terrific 11 minute epic co authored with actor/playwright Sam Shepard, worth getting the album just for that. It begins with Dylan talking about a Gregory Peck movie he can't get out of his head. Film buffs will automatically realize the movie is The Gunfighter (1950). It is entertaining enough for the movie references but also an engrossing narrative with some sly wit missing from Dylan's work in recent times. There is a great moment when he says "They can talk about me plenty when I'm gone" and the back up singers respond with a sarcastic "Oh yeah?". As for the rest there is fairly nice cover of a Kris Kristofferson song "They Killed Him" and an OK collaboration with Tom Petty "Got My Mind Made Up" but not much else.

23) Down In The Groove-more mostly forgettable covers and a few originals some co written with Robert Hunter of The Grateful Dead. Of these originals one has some wickedly funny lyrics "The Ugliest Girl In The World'. My favorite is "Silvio" a catchy folk/country song. "When Did You Leave Heaven" is the best of the covers but merely OK.

24) Oh Mercy-Dylan bounces back with one of his best of all time. His voice has more of a rasp now but you can still understand everything he sings. The first song "Political World" sets the tone with great lyrics and a chugging beat, Daniel Lanois plays Dobro guitar on many songs giving them a unique feel. "Ring Them Bells" is another highlight, a beautiful piano tune with some of his finest religious lyrics. My favorite song on the album also became one of my favorite Dylan songs ever, "Man In The Long Black Coat". It's an eerie, haunting tale of the title character who runs off with a small town girl without a trace. "What Was It You Wanted" is another ominous sounding song with a swampy Southern vibe. There are also nice sad ballads like "What Good Am I" and the nice closer "Shooting Star". 

• Like 1

I am only reviewing 2 Dylan albums today since the first was very short and the second was very long and neither was very good. 

25) Under The Red Sky-once again Dylan follows one of his best with one of his worst. Most of the songs are forgettable and Dylan's voice is very ragged. My favorite song is the title one, it has some nursery rhyme type lyrics with good slide guitar by George Harrison. Elton John provides some good piano playing on "2 X 2", David Crosby sings backup but you can hardly hear him. The lyrics were included with the album (this is last Dylan album I bought on vinyl), but not a lot of great words.

26) Good As I Been To You-Dylan's first totally acoustic solo album in 28 years. However this is another disappointing record. I am assuming these are all folk/blues songs handed down over the decades, since the CD does not give any writing credits. Dylan's voice shows more wear and tear on here, and it's hard to understand what he is singing on most of them, no lyrics sheet is included either. My favorite track is the first "Frankie And Albert" a song about a woman who shoots her man cause he was doing her wrong, I recognized this because of it's more well known title "Frankie And Johnny". Another OK song is the love ballad "Tomorrow Night", Dylan's voice sounds best on this. The nursery rhyme "Froggie Goes A-Courtin" is kind of fun but should have been shorter, it rambles on for over 6 minutes. "Step It Up And Go" is a livelier number but the rest all sound alike so it's hard to distinguish one from the other.

Only one Dylan review today since his next album is very long and intense.

27) World Gone Wrong-like his last album, this is another solo acoustic record of old folk and blues songs but even worse than the last one. Dylan's has some good guitar playing on it but his voice still sounds shot. I strained to listen but still could not make out most of what he is singing. "Stack A Lee" is probably the best song, it's  about a murder. I  could figure that out because  there was a popular version on a  1950s hit song by Lloyd Price called "Stagger Lee". "Blood In My Eyes" is the only one where I can understand all the words. Dylan included some rambling comments about all the songs included in a booklet but it doesn't help much. His weakest since Saved.

I've had audio cassette-itis for the past couple of days . . . so I retrieved my deck and set about to playing some albums by THE OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS.  They're all on 'A&M Records'. 

THE OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS [1973]

IT'LL SHINE WHEN IT SHINES [1974]

MEN FROM EARTH [1976] (This audio cassette is pre-historic).  Great album. 

THE BEST OF THE OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS [1981] 

I may yet get around to playing THE CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM ['75] and DON'T LOOK DOWN ['77] . . . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

I may yet get around to playing THE CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM ['75]

That's their album you should be playing... 

I'm listening to FLAMIN' GROOVIES Shake Some Action 

R-5184178-1526926909-3107.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Alreet, Allhallowsday, I went upstairs and fetched my cassette of THE CAR OVER THE LAKE album.  It's playing as I'm typing this.  It's on the 'Pickwick Music' label from Australia.  "Leatherwood" is playing right now. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Alreet, Allhallowsday, I went upstairs and fetched my cassette of THE CAR OVER THE LAKE album.  It's playing as I'm typing this.  It's on the 'Pickwick Music' label from Australia.  "Leatherwood" is playing right now. 

THE OZARK MOUNTAIN DAREDEVILS had a big hit with... "Jackie Blue"... but it's not on that record?  I don't have my JOEL WHITBURN Top 40 in front of me! 

28) Time Out Of Mind-just when I thought Dylan was done, he comes back with this brilliant disc, one of his best after 3 weak albums in a row. His voice is still raspy but I could understand every word. I guess those incoherent mumbling vocals on the last two records were a problem with the production. As soon as you hear the ominous opening track "Love Sick" you know this is going to be great. It has some bitter lyrics and beautifully spare instrumentation, it may be my favorite on the album but many others are excellent as well. Similar songs are "Standing In The Doorway" and "Million Miles". There are also songs that hint at mortality but have a gentle, peaceful resigning to it, if you listen to "Tryin To Get To Heaven" and "Not Dark Yet".  He even slips in a tender love song on piano-"Make You Feel My Love". The last track is long narrative about longing and wanting to "turn back the clock". It is his longest song ever (16 minutes) but still very engrossing. Much of the time is taken up by an amusing scene of the narrator (who is an artist) and a waitress in a restaurant with no customers, she wants him to do a drawing of her, it sounds slight but I was fascinated. 

PAUL McCARTNEY McCartney 

jpeg

ROBERT JOHNSON King Of The Delta Blues Singers 

R-565868-1583353322-8826.jpeg.jpg 

ROBERT PALMER Double Fun 

R-2625198-1439248561-1227.jpeg.jpg

29) Love And Theft-a lesser disc after the last masterpiece Time Out Of Mind. There is some interesting stuff here. "Summer Days" is an OK rockabilly tune. "Bye And Bye" is a laid back 30s style pop ballad. I like the fiddle playing on "Floater (Too Much To Ask)". My favorite song is probably "Po' Boy" a good tale of a guy down on his luck, sounds like it could have been a Depression era song. Parts of the final song "Sugar Baby" remind me a bit of "Old Man River".

30) Modern Times-a great Dylan disc, much better than Love And Theft and almost as good as Time Out Of Mind. "When The Deal Goes Down" is nice country flavored tune, the band is very good here and on most of the songs. "Workingman's Blues #2" is an interesting tale of a down and out farmer who still seems optimistic. "Beyond The Horizon" is another good laid back country song. "Nettie Moore" is an intriguing tale about the narrator longing for the lost love of the title. My favorite is the last, a haunting, ominous 8 minute ballad "Ain't Talkin" . The narrator is going down a long lonesome road, he seems to have revenge and  maybe murder on his mind.

"I'D BE THE FIRST TO FALL IN LOVE AGAIN" by Gary Morris, from his 1983 album "Why Lady Why".  This song just popped in to my head so I went and listened to it.  I'd 'do' a link, but I don't know how. 

31) Together Through Life-a good though not outstanding collection of mostly bluesy rockers, the use of an accordion is good touch on them. Dylan struggles a bit with his vocals on  "Life Is Hard" trying a higher key at times. He sounds better on "My Wife's Home Town" my favorite on the disc, he uses a raspy shout on it. This is a wickedly funny song about  a real Devil woman since he says Hell is her home town, Dylan even laughs a bit at the end. I like some of the lyrics on "I Feel A Change Comin On" where he says that dreams did not work out for him even when they come true. While there is not really any bad songs on here, there are no great ones either. 

32) Christmas In The Heart- A Bob Dylan Christmas album. I avoided getting this one, I just had bought it and had it delivered last week so I have a complete Dylan collection. While it is one of his lesser efforts, it is not as bad I thought it would be. It is cringe worthy to hear his raspy voice straining it's way through hymns like "Hark The Herald Angels Sing", "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "O Little Town Of Bethlehem". His voice however sounds pretty good on "Little Drummer Boy", probably the best of the famous Yuletide songs. Best song by far is the lesser known "Must Be Santa" which is a joyous hoot as Dylan and his backup singers have a great time rushing through the fun lyrics and some wonderful accordion playing. The album would have been much better with more upbeat and obscure Christmas songs like this.  

• Thanks 1

33) Tempest-a very good Dylan disc , still shows he has a great way with lyrics. "Duquesne Whistle" is the opening track and it's a rollicking tune about a train, hearkening back to old folk songs. "Soon After Midnight" is a plaintive ballad with some hints of death, which will also be on other songs on this collection. My favorite maybe "Scarlet Town" a dark and hypnotic song about a grim town the narrator says is where he is born. It's morbidly fascinating with it's images of drink, drugs and w h o r e s.  "Tin Angel" is another dark tale of a love triangle ending in bloody murder. Then we get an interesting 13 minute song about the Titanic with "Tempest". The final track is a touching tribute to John Lennon "Roll On John".

• Like 1