Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

34) Shadows In The Night-Dylan does Sinatra standards. On the first track "I'm A Fool To Want You" sets the mood with spare instrumentation and some muted brass. My favorite track is probably his version of "Autumn Leaves" in which the lyrics match the music arrangement well. Irving Berlin's "What'll I Do" has a nice haunting melody. Other than that, the songs mostly sound the same, making them mostly forgettable. 

35) Fallen Angels-Yet more standards mostly made famous by Sinatra. Dylan's voice is just not up to the challenge on some of the more familiar tunes. However I think this collection is slightly better than the last one. "Skylark" is a Hoagy Carmichael song and more uptempo in arrangement, maybe my favorite. "That Old Black Magic" also has a nice arrangement with some good percussion. Dylan does a decent job on "Come Rain Or Come Shine". The rest have the same problems as the last record, the sameness of sound. I would rather listen to his Christmas album than this and Shadows In The Night. 

• Thanks 1

Alreet then . . . listening to a 1969 single from VANITY FARE (they had a hit with "Hitchin' A Ride") called EARLY IN THE MORNING.  It's eminently listenable!  :)

• Like 1

36) Triplicate -Dylan rasps and strains through a 3 CD set of more standards. It is the least of the 3 standards discs he made since there is just so many on this set, it is hard to get through in one sitting. Dylan's voice sounds more ravaged than ever now. There are a few good moments though. My favorite is on Disc 1 "Once Upon A Time" a 1960s show tune from a Broadway flop, it was covered by Sinatra. It is a beautiful melody with sad, nostalgic lyrics, Dylan has some good control on this one. Another good one is "Braggin" a catchy 1940s Big Band song which swings. "I Couldn't Sleep  A Wink Last Night" is another tune Sinatra introduced, it has nice guitar playing and lyrics about regret over a lover's spat. Dylan does an OK version of "As Time Goes By" but his takes on "Stormy Weather" and "Sentimental Journey" only make you long for Lena Horne and Doris Day. This is Dylan's last released album to date and it came out in 2017, his last set of original material was 'Tempest" in 2012. I am looking forward to more from him since he has proved again and again he still has great work in him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listening to the 1970 song LOVE GROWS WHERE MY ROSEMARY GOES by the studio band known as "Edison Lighthouse".  They were not a real-life band that toured around the UK.  I like to listen to this song several times in a row.  One listen at a time is just not enough!

• Like 1

While working from home until probably Memorial Day among some other things I am going through the 104 symphonies of Haydn, I am through the first 20. Relatively short and pleasant they don't come near his later works. Nothing particularly memorable but always enjoyable.

Scattered among the symphonies comes light piano music of David Tolk, Wayne Gratz, Stanton Lanier, and Jim Brickman. Some other light jazz makes a perfect atmosphere to work.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 3:33 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

34) Shadows In The Night-Dylan does Sinatra standards. On the first track "I'm A Fool To Want You" sets the mood with spare instrumentation and some muted brass. My favorite track is probably his version of "Autumn Leaves" in which the lyrics match the music arrangement well. Irving Berlin's "What'll I Do" has a nice haunting melody. Other than that, the songs mostly sound the same, making them mostly forgettable. 

35) Fallen Angels-Yet more standards mostly made famous by Sinatra. Dylan's voice is just not up to the challenge on some of the more familiar tunes. However I think this collection is slightly better than the last one. "Skylark" is a Hoagy Carmichael song and more uptempo in arrangement, maybe my favorite. "That Old Black Magic" also has a nice arrangement with some good percussion. Dylan does a decent job on "Come Rain Or Come Shine". The rest have the same problems as the last record, the sameness of sound. I would rather listen to his Christmas album than this and Shadows In The Night. 

Didn't yet get a shot to read all of this, do you mean BOB DYLAN?

On 3/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, Allhallowsday said:

FRANK SINATRA Only The Lonely 

R-6557404-1515552573-9458.jpeg.jpg

THANK YOU!   His greatest album & most fans agree, though his son called it A SUICIDE ALBUM & same yr as my favorite of his 58 flix SOME CAME RUNNING-(also among Scorsese's overall)

• Thanks 1

My mom got this as a gift right after he went in May of '98   The yrs of the early t mid '50's he changed everything about himself-(after winning that Oscar) Though my #1 hero, don't like FS as much in his 1st career as the 2nd act

36 minutes ago, spence said:

His greatest album & most fans agree, though his son called it A SUICIDE ALBUM & same yr as my favorite of his 58 flix SOME CAME RUNNING-(also among Scorsese's overall)

It's probably my favorite of his.

1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think he did a wonderful job, but I can see where that character wouldn't exactly ignite his film career. 

Best actor Oscar nominnes that year were>

*Jon Voight in Coming Home

De Niro in The deer Hunter

Busey

Olivier, Boys from Brazil

& Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait

1 minute ago, Allhallowsday said:

It's probably my favorite of his.

He did 2,000 records & over 1,800 albums in 6 decades

Just now, spence said:

Best actor Oscar nominnes that year were>

*Jon Voight in Coming Home

De Niro in The deer Hunter

Busey

Olivier, Boys from Brazil

& Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait

Yes, I remember, except for OLIVIER in that role, some tough competition.  Didn't VOIGHT win?