Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

Believe it or not, movieman, I used to work with someone who liked to whistle the opening theme from Dvorak's "New World Symphony".

Here is one of my favourite folk songs, a truely beautiful melody. It very much captures that mysterious young and restless feeling. First version by Joan Baez (you may want to turn down the volume on your screen, my cat ran out of the room when I played it), second, quite different, by The Byrds. "Wild Mountain Thyme" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmelTuQ-1gU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grWp3TB-A0Q&feature=fvst

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 19, 2010 3:08 PM

There must be something about today, everyone's going on these music threads. Well, I'm going to post first, a guilty pleasure - a cheesy pop song I've always liked. Then , in honour of it's being Sunday, a piece of heavenly choral music by our old friend Bach. From the profane to the sacred, or something.

(Did anyone catch my "Wild Mountain Thyme" clips? I don't think so. Maybe I scared people off when I said my cat ran out of the room.)

Cheesey pop song: The Classics IV, with "Spooky" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUf4F9VXo_s

from profane or at least cheesey, to sacred, the opening movement of Bach's ST. Matthew's Passion:

You can't get more Sundayish than this. One of the most soaringly beautiful pieces of choral music ever.

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 29, 2010 3:59 PM

Dear misswonderly, thanks for posting 'Wild Mountain Thyme', one of my favorite songs as well. There are dozens of great recordings of this classic song, even Van Morrison and Rod Stewart have done excellent versions; even I do a great version (in the shower). There is even a rare unreleased version by Michael Jackson.

'Wild Mountain Thyme' AKA: 'Go, Lassie, Go': 'The Blooming Heather': 'The Purple Heather' etc.

I'm in love with Kate Rusby so I'm biased

Kate Rusby - Blooming Heather

Judy Collins - Will You Go Lassie Go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kbr6tUhDRI

The Silencers - Wild Mountain Thyme

Couldn't find the lovely Jean Redpath version on YouTube.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

I second the Thank you I have never heard the song before, music is my first love, I remember dancing with my 6 month old in my arms, always secretly wished one of my boys would be musical. But I got plumbers instead not complaining I saved alot of money with their knowledge. So now when I listen classic rock is my first choice being around in the 60's have alot of memories of seeing great groups in the city and Filmore East.

cat

We are into catchy at our house lately.

My husband says all Jack Johnson's songs sound alike, but I say, that's OK because it's a good one. :D

I just heard this one the other day on the radio:

My daughter's new favorite and now mine too.... . I can't get away from her music so I appreciate that I actually like one of her songs a lot. :)

Wow! Alan Parsons! I haven't heard that for a long time.

We try to keep up a little bit, mostly listening to this station - they have new music, but it is more in the folk/funk/college radio kind of groove we like. Their emphasis is on music with good lyrics, and they throw in Beatles, Dylan, Van Morrison, The Talking Heads and other classic rock groups in between.

http://www.wehm.com/#null

My daughter is listening to top 40 now, like all her friends. sigh.

I live around one of the biggest radio markets in the country. DC/Baltimore is pretty big. Most of the musical stations fall into some narrow categories. Plenty of urban stations. Two very popular country stations. A couple of classical stations and some specialty stations are thrown in. (Not one jazz station in the lot.) But the POP/Top 40 stations are so lame. Short playlists. Even the "oldies" are the same ones from week to week. It's awful. The progressive rock stations are too progressive for my tastes. I find I listen to a few stations I can find on itunes or AOL if I listen to the radio at all. Mostly I have nearly everything I own on my ipod (save for my cassette tapes. Yes I still listen to some) At least there is something familiar coming up.

I just never acquired a taste for more modern styles. Too many sound alike for me. I am too old and too calm. You and my bride sound like you would like the same music.

It's nice to know your bride and I have something in common!

I like`a few new songs thrown in, but they have to fall within certain guidelines - I like`well written lyrics I can relate to, and melodic tunes... I couldn't bear it when grunge was popular, and some of the rap today is also only two notes, two chords. It's SO boring.

That is what disappoints me about my son. He once picked out the soundtrack from "Hook" on a radio station and then fell into that grunge or whatever it was and hasn't quite pulled himself out of it. He still remembers much about what I listen to because that is all he had when we were in the car.

You have something else in common with her. She likes me too.

Tracey:

Wind chimes? I bet it is very peaceful.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> That is what disappoints me about my son. He once picked out the soundtrack from "Hook" on a radio station and then fell into that grunge or whatever it was and hasn't quite pulled himself out of it. He still remembers much about what I listen to because that is all he had when we were in the car.

>

> You have something else in common with her. She likes me too.

>

> Tracey:

>

> Wind chimes? I bet it is very peaceful.

Nope. Actually the wind was very strong last night and they were jangling all over the place!

A quiet day filled with -

*Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto.* Lovely score with a slow movement that leans toward Mozart in style. Romantic composition all the way through. It was premiered by his wife Clara.

*Berlioz's Grand Funeral Symphony*. A rare work that was written for a military band, if memory serves correctly, for the reburial of some fallen French heroes from the war with Russia. I have an old LP of it but listened to it on the Naxos server. It was performed by the "President's Own Marine Band.' This is a tighter recording than my old one and has a bonus of a choral accompaniment near the end of the work.

> A quiet day filled with -

>

> *Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto.* Lovely score with a slow movement that leans toward Mozart in style. Romantic composition all the way through. It was premiered by his wife Clara.

>

This is a little off topic, but have you seen Katharine Hepburn's film (I guess it's sort of Paul Heinreid's film too) about the romance between Clara and Robert Schumann? I know it was considered sort of a throw-away thing she did to stay near Spencer Tracy, but I actually enjoyed it. She's a little too modern, but she seems very relaxed and much less neurotic as the devoted and very fertile wife. The secondary plotline about Brahams falling in love with her was a little silly, though.

And to get back on topic, right now "Goin' Down Slow" by Muddy Waters with Bo Diddly, Howlin Wolf, and Otis Span is playing. Followed by "I Would Die for You," by Garbage. LOL

I think Hepburn is probably the best fake piano player I have ever seen - almost as good as Maria Ouspenskaya, who really DID play. I wonder if she knew how to play? Does anyone know?

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I think Hepburn is probably the best fake piano player I have ever seen - almost as good as Maria Ouspenskaya, who really DID play. I wonder if she knew how to play? Does anyone know?

In one of her bios I read that she did not, but got the famous piano player of the time (can't remember his name and if I open another tab to look it up, the d*mn boards will freeze up on me--anyone know why they do that? so annoying) to tutor her in how to fake it.

I saw the film a long time ago. I don't remember much except that I also think Hepburn was great at "playing.' Probably the best.

Tracey:

If you have any interest in the Schumanns you might, in addition to what you can find on them, check out a biography on Johannes Brahms. He was a very important part of their life.

> I saw the film a long time ago. I don't remember much except that I also think Hepburn was great at "playing.' Probably the best.

>

> Tracey:

>

> If you have any interest in the Schumanns you might, in addition to what you can find on them, check out a biography on Johannes Brahms. He was a very important part of their life.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find one.

*Robert Schumann's Piano Concerto*. Lovely score with a slow movement that leans toward Mozart in style.

*Berlioz's Grand Funeral Symphony.* A rarely played work that was written for a military band, if memory serves correctly, for the reburial of some fallen French heroes from the war with Russia. I have an old LP of it but listened to it on the Naxos server*. It was performed by the "President's Own Marine Band.' This is a tighter recording than my old one and it has a bonus of a choral accompaniment near the end of the work.

* A link through my county library takes me to Naxos (a classical recording label) where I can listen to a great deal of music.

Sought out the Berlioz Grand Funeral Symphony on your recommendation. I don't have a Naxos subscription so I listened to it on Rhapsody (25 free plays per month). Very brassy, dramatic and rather up-beat for funeral music, not at all solemn or depressing. For some reason I kept expecting the orchestra to burst into the finale of the 1812 overture. A perfect musical accompaniment next time you watch Abel Gance's Napoleon.

Best wishes

Metairie Road