Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

Recommended Posts

GUILTY PLEASURE TIME!

THE BEST DISCO IN TOWN from "The Ritchie Family".  (No one's really named 'Ritchie', btw). 

If I'm the mood to listen to this I'll always listen to it several times in a row. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, spence said:

ANY LINK TO THIS THOUGH?

You're quoting yourself and asking yourself? 

JACKSON BROWN Running On Empty

running-on-empty-jackson-browne.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5) Bridge Over Troubled Water Jan 1970

Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge over Troubled Water (1970).png

S&G's fifth and final studio album, a good one but not as good as the last two. The first and best song is the title tune. It is has great lyrics and a gospel type melody. Garfunkel's does some of his best singing ever. "El Condor Pasa" is a haunting Peruvian folk melody with new lyrics by Simon, it is the first hint of his fascination with international music sounds which blossomed in his later solo work. "Cecelia" and "Keep The Customer Satisfied" are catchy upbeat tunes. The rest of the album is a bit uneven. "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright" has Garfunkel's beautiful voice in the lead again but song is a bit dull. "The Boxer" is a great song about a young boy on the mean streets of New York. "Baby Driver" is an OK uptempo tune. "The Only Living Boy In New York" is a pretty good gentle song but I am not sure what it is about. Their version of the Everly Brothers' "Bye Bye Love" is a live recording with some hand claps by the audience which overpower the vocals. "Song For The Asking" is nice short acoustic solo song by Simon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

GUILTY PLEASURE TIME!

THE BEST DISCO IN TOWN from "The Ritchie Family".  (No one's really named 'Ritchie', btw). 

If I'm the mood to listen to this I'll always listen to it several times in a row. 

The_Best_Disco_in_Town_-_The_Ritchie_Fam 

 

NEIL DIAMOND is my guilty pleasure.   Keep up the good work!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of THE BOXER . . . I rather like the versions by HENSON CARGILL and EMMYLOU HARRIS.  Harris' version was a country hit circa 1980, btw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JOHN LENNON YOKO ONO Double Fantasy  ...Yoko?  Oh no.

51FFKjrqS0L._AC_SX342_.jpg 

Now: JOHN LENNON Imagine 

John-Lennon-Imagine.jpg?1573589866

 

JOHN LENNON Plastic Ono Band 

R-1255883-1399477526-2041.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all up on YouTube: WINGS At The Speed Of Sound 

https://youtu.be/1Ohof_7oYjM

The link can't be embedded, but you can follow the link if interested in listening to the album, a sugary crunchy layer cake.  I particularly enjoy JIMMY McCULLOCH'S  contribution .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Simon Jan 1972

PaulSimon-Front.jpg

Simon's first solo effort after the breakup with Garfunkel. And it's a very good one, many of the songs can stand up to the best of S&G. My favorite is the first "Mother And Child Reunion" a hit single and very catchy reggae beat. "Duncan" is  tale of a youth losing innocence with some beautiful Peruvian backing by Los Incas. Simon may not have Garfunkel's angelic voice but his singing throughout is beautifully smooth. "Run That Body Down" has a rare autobiographical feel as he uses his own name and his then wife Peg's as he talks of overwork in his life. Side 2 opens with the terrific salsa flavored "Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard" as the narrator talks of getting in trouble with his school friend. "Papa Hobo" is about a guy working odd jobs in Detroit. "Paranoia Blues" is about the quality of life in 1970s New York. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to a few songs by the long-since disappeared (literally) singer/songwriter JIM SULLIVAN.  He disappeared March 6, 1975 and hasn't been heard from since. 

Songs I listened to are  HIGHWAY, ROSEY, SANDMAN, UFO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Listening to a few songs by the long-since disappeared (literally) singer/songwriter JIM SULLIVAN.  He disappeared March 6, 1975 and hasn't been heard of since. 

Songs I listened to are  HIGHWAY, ROSEY, SANDMAN, UFO. 

I had never heard of him.  Look close enough and one will find many strange stories connected to record makers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out HIGHWAYS if you fancy listening to one of his songs.  Find the YouTube upload with the picture of the 'MONNIE' LP.  You can't miss it.   :)

I discovered him a few months ago on Wikipedia when reading about another singer who disappeared in August  of 1974.  (That singer's name was 'Connie Converse', btw).  

That led me to JIM SULLIVAN (b. 1940) who disappeared in New Mexico in early March 1975 and was never heard from again.  I thought I'd check out some of his tunes at the time and they sounded quite all right.  Ergo, I still listen to them on YouTube.  His 2 albums didn't sell very well while he was alive.  Now there's a label called LIGHT IN THE ATTIC that appears to have re-issued his music.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Check out HIGHWAYS if you fancy listening to one of his songs.  Find the YouTube upload with the picture of the 'MONNIE' LP.  You can't miss it.   :)

I discovered him a few months ago on Wikipedia when reading about another singer who disappeared in August  of 1974.  (That singer's name was 'Connie Converse', btw).  

That led me to JIM SULLIVAN (b. 1940) who disappeared in New Mexico in early March 1975 and was never heard from again.  I thought I'd check out some of his tunes at the time and they sounded quite all right.  Ergo, I still listen to them on YouTube.  His 2 albums didn't sell very well while he was alive.  Now there's a label called LIGHT IN THE ATTIC that appears to have re-issued his music.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angel Clare -Art Garfunkel    Sep 1973

Angel clare.jpg

Garfunkel's first solo album, it is pretty good, with some lush arrangements and great singing. Many of the tracks are nice to listen to but not very memorable. "Down In The Willow Garden" is interesting mostly for Paul Simon playing guitar and singing on one verse. "I Shall Sing" is a catchy upbeat number written by Van Morrison. Garfunkel sings a beautiful version of Randy Newman's "Old Man".  My favorite one is "All I Know" a Jimmy Webb composition that became a top ten single. It has a pretty melody and good lyrics, very nicely sung by Garfunkel. Another nice Webb song is the last "Another Lullaby."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two albums, one disc:  JUNE CHRISTY Gone For The Day  and Fair And Warmer

 

R-2622342-1543676135-1557.jpeg.jpg 

 

LUCIA PAMELA Into Outer Space  ...I was wrong when I said that all the music I listen to I think is good... I also listen to TERRIBLE. (And like it). 

R-3565297-1396340929-9566.jpeg.jpg

 

DAVID BOWIE Hunky Dory

R-10341818-1495647045-7726.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There Goes Rhymin' Simon Paul Simon -May 1973

There Goes Rhymin' Simon.jpg

Simon's second solo work and a very good one. It has some of his best and most popular songs. My favorite is the first "Kodachrome" a rollicking and jaunty hit single about how life looks better in photographs. "Take Me To The Mardi Gras" is a good tribute to New Orleans with horns by jazz group Onward Brass Band. Simon's voice is especially soothing on the ballad "Something So Right". " One Man's Ceiling Is Another Man's Floor" is about apartment dwelling with some good piano playing (by Barry Beckett). "American Tune" is about getting through life even when it gets rough, it sounds like it could have been a good Simon & Garfunkel song, Garfunkel later sang it with Simon on their live reunion years later. The last song is another catchy hit single, the gospel flavored  "Loves Me Like A Rock".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RAP!  FUNK! 

Two old-time rap songs by DEWEY "Pigmeat" MARKHAM:  Here Comes The Judge, 1968 -and- Who Got the Number, 1969

Then on to some funk: 

SPACING OUT by The Invaders, 1970. 

GET ON DOWN! by the East Harlem Bus Stop, 1976.  

 SWEET F.A. by Ultrafunk, 1975.  CONTEMPO Records.  

THE ROAD by COMMUNICATORS and Black Experience Band, 1974.  TRI-OAK Records.

THINK PEOPLE by The Tribe, 1974.  (From the LP "THE TRIBE:  ETHNIC STEW").  (Vocals).

HOUSE OF RISING FUNK by The Chubukos (Afrique), 1973.  MONO sound.  Most excellently funky.  I liked this so much I bought the 45' about a year ago.  On the MAINSTREAM Records label.

Remember:  You can't fake the funk! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More '70s funk.  I've been in an impossibly funky mood this evening . . . :)

"MOVING WORLD" by Creative Funk.  If you like the sound of a Wurlitzer organ you'll like this funk tune.

SUPER "JAWS" by Seven Seas.  Can you dig it?  In the words of Sarah Palin:  YOU BETCHA!  :D

DISCO KID by Funkhouse Express, 1975.  On DISKO Records.  Then on to the "B"-side "Get Into Funky Music". 

BUMPIN' by Ground Hog, 1974.  On GEMIGO Records.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breakaway Art Garfunkel Oct 1975

Breakaway (Art Garfunkel album).jpg

Garfunkel's second solo album, it is lushly produced, beautifully sung but mostly forgettable. Side 1 has the title track which is helped by some backing vocals by Graham Nash, David Crosby, Beach Boy Bruce Johnston and Toni Tennille (Captain and Tennille), the weakest track is "Waters Of March" with Garfunkel changing his sweet tenor to a monotonous nasal talk-singing. Side 2 starts with the best song, the Simon and Garfunkel reunion "My Little Town" which was a top ten hit and showed the magic of their harmonies. Another good one is Garfunkel's nice rendition of the standard "I Only Have Eyes For You". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Breakaway Art Garfunkel Oct 1975

Breakaway (Art Garfunkel album).jpg

Garfunkel's second solo album, it is lushly produced, beautifully sung but mostly forgettable. Side 1 has the title track which is helped by some backing vocals by Graham Nash, David Crosby, Beach Boy Bruce Johnston and Toni Tennille (Captain and Tennille), the weakest track is "Waters Of March" with Garfunkel changing his sweet tenor to a monotonous nasal talk-singing. Side 2 starts with the best song, the Simon and Garfunkel reunion "My Little Town" which was a top ten hit and showed the magic of their harmonies. Another good one is Garfunkel's nice rendition of the standard "I Only Have Eyes For You". 

I admit I didn't follow much non-jazz music post the British invasion bands but since the Waters Of March is a Antonio Carlos Jobim song (my second favorite post 1950s song writer other than Lennon \ McCartney),   I have this Garfunkel version on my IPOD and listen to it from time to time.    But I've been a fan of the song,  done as an instrumental  by a few jazz artist,  but I love the 'visuals' communicated by the lyrics.   

 I have also heard the Harry Warren standard I Only Have Eyes for You.    Of course Garfunkel's voice and singing are fine here and I like his interpretation here. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...