Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Antonio Carlos Jobim song (my second favorite post 1950s song writer other than Lennon \ McCartney)

Excellent taste. 

ROXY MUSIC Roxy Music 

911.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format

PIERRE MONTEUX Boston Symphony Orchestra CLAUDE DEBUSSY La Mer / Nocturnes 

I had this twice on vinyl... 

R-5406844-1392577977-9400.jpeg.jpg 

THE ROLLING STONES Flowers 

R-4089206-1354876752-6124.jpeg.jpg

Still Crazy After All These Years Paul Simon -Oct 1975

PaulSimonStillCrazyAfterAllTheseYearsCover.jpg

Another good solo album by Simon. The title track sets the mood, it tells of getting in touch with an old lover and leading to regret and apathy. "My Little Town" reunites him with Garfunkel and it is good song about nostalgia for small town life though the narrator says it contains "nothing but the dead and dying." My favorite is the #1 hit "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" with some catchy and witty lyrics about a break up. "Gone At Last" is a gospel flavored number which is a duet with Phoebe Snow. She had a hit earlier that year with "Poetry Man". "You're Kind" is a interesting song which seems to be a standard love song but has an ironic twist at the end. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I admit I didn't follow much non-jazz music post the British invasion bands but since the Waters Of March is a Antonio Carlos Jobim song (my second favorite post 1950s song writer other than Lennon \ McCartney),   I have this Garfunkel version on my IPOD and listen to it from time to time.    But I've been a fan of the song,  done as an instrumental  by a few jazz artist,  but I love the 'visuals' communicated by the lyrics.   

Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with jazz artists that much and I did not know who Jobim was. I thought this was an unusual choice for Garfunkel, it seems out of place for him. Maybe if I hear the jazz original I might like it more. 

Listening to a couple of songs on YouTube by the smooth-sounding yet very obscure country singer DANNY SHATSWELL. 

LAID OVER IN DALLAS - This recording was apparently never released; I could be wrong, but the 'upload' sounds like it's from a reel-to-reel recorder.  

♦I like this song♦  :)  I'd buy it if I could find a 45' single . . . but there likely isn't one. 

Then on to his only Billboard Country charting single -- albeit it 'reached' [if you could call it that] #97 in 1978.  On Mercury Records.  Title:  I'M A MENDER.

Watermark Art Garfunkel Jan 1978

Watermark (Art Garfunkel album).jpg

Garfunkel's third, Jimmy Webb wrote the majority of the songs and this is another just OK album, pleasant but not outstanding. The first song, "Crying In My Sleep" is one of the better ones, about missing a recent broken relationship. The rest on Side 1 are not very memorable. Side 2 starts with my favorite on the album, a version of the old Sam Cooke song "(What A) Wonderful World". This one became a top 20 hit and has nice vocal help by Paul Simon and James Taylor. "Mr Shuck 'n' Jive' is an interesting tale about old man reliving his past. The final song "Wooden Planes" has one of the better melodies and good lyrics about nostalgia about childhood. 

One Trick Pony Paul Simon- Sep 1980

Onetrickpony.jpg

Simon's first album in 5 years, he also acted in a film of the same name. I never saw the film so I am not sure how the songs relate to it. The album is pretty good though. My favorite is the first one "Late In The Evening" a Latin flavored hit single about a young kid becoming a musician. Two of the songs are live cuts from a club in Cleveland Ohio. They are the funky "One Trick Pony" and "Ace In The Hole" with additional vocals from piano player Richard Tee. The final song is a good closer called "Long Long Day" about a weary musician on the road, Patti Austin provides some vocals with Simon. 

On 4/24/2020 at 2:09 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Watermark Art Garfunkel Jan 1978

Watermark (Art Garfunkel album).jpg

Garfunkel's third, Jimmy Webb wrote the majority of the songs and this is another just OK album, pleasant but not outstanding. The first song, "Crying In My Sleep" is one of the better ones, about missing a recent broken relationship. The rest on Side 1 are not very memorable. Side 2 starts with my favorite on the album, a version of the old Sam Cooke song "(What A) Wonderful World". This one became a top 20 hit and has nice vocal help by Paul Simon and James Taylor. "Mr Shuck 'n' Jive' is an interesting tale about old man reliving his past. The final song "Wooden Planes" has one of the better melodies and good lyrics about nostalgia about childhood. 

I always enjoyed Garfunkel's solo albums. Scissors Cut ranks highest of the early ones. Oddly enough, maybe, on Watermark "Wonderful World is the one I don't care for. It doesn't fit. I think Breakaway is a good listen as well. I think Webb is an interesting songwriter. He has a gift for both interesting lyrics and music.

• Thanks 1

Fate For Breakfast Art Garfunkel- Mar 1979

Fate for Breakfast album cover.jpg

The fourth solo album by Garfunkel. It was released with different photos on the cover, the one I own has him drinking orange juice. The album is another beautifully sung, slickly produced work with just a few memorable songs. The first, "In A Little While (I'll Be On My Way)" is a catchy pop song. "Since I Don't Have You" is a very good version of the old Skyliners hit. "And I Know" is a nice ballad, good backing vocals by Leah Kunkel. The other gem is "Oh How Happy" which is a remake of an old 1960s top twenty hit by a group called Shades Of Blue. Other then that, this has the same problem as his previous solo albums, sameness of sound, forgettable songs. 

CAPTAIN BEEFHEART  AND THE MAGIC BAND Lick My Decals Off , Baby  

R-2202795-1295126070.jpeg.jpg 

ELTON JOHN Goodbye Yellow Brick Road  

Elton-John-Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Road-alb

Hearts And Bones Paul Simon-Nov 1983

Hearts and Bones.jpg

Simon's first album in 3 years, and a very good one. It was originally supposed to be Simon & Garfunkel reunion but they had another falling out and Garfunkel left the project. We have some good songs here. The first "Allergies" is good opener with great guitar and drumming. There are two versions of the song "Think Too Much", I like the (b) version better with it's Caribbean feel and marimba. The (a) version is a funky one with guitar by Nile Rogers. My favorite track is "Rene And Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After The War", it was inspired by a photograph of the Belgian artist with his wife and dog. The song segues into a beautiful tribute to early doo w o p groups The Penguins, The Moonglows, The Orioles and The Five Satins.  "Cars Are Cars" is a catchy dedication to cars with more Nile Rogers guitar. The final song is the haunting "The Late Great Johnny Ace" another nostalgic look at past music. It goes from 1954, about the death of R&B singer Johnny Ace. Then it tells of 1964, years of the Beatles and Stones, and year after JFK. It then settles into wistful tribute to Dec of 1980 and the death of John Lennon.

• Thanks 1

Scissors Cut Art Garfunkel -Aug 1981

Artscissors.jpg

Garfunkel's finest solo album, his voice is better than ever and he finally has a whole album of songs and production that match it. The first song "A Heart In New York" is nice valentine to the city, it was released as a single but it only got to #66 on the charts. The title cut, a Jimmy Webb song has a nice melody and lyrics. There is spare instrumentation on "Up In The World" so Garfunkel can show off his beautiful voice. An interesting change of pace is the pop rocker "Hang On In". Side 2 begins with "Bright Eyes" a haunting and dramatic ballad which had appeared in the animated film Watership Down. I believe it is Garfunkel's best solo song. The final two are more Webb songs-"In Cars" is a good one about nostalgia with vocals by Paul Simon and quick snippet of Garfunkel singing Bob Dylan's "Girl From The North Country". Then a short but beautiful "That's All I Got To Say", which was in another animated film The Last Unicorn. It's too bad that this did not sell very well as Garfunkel hasn't done very much recording after this. 

LISTENING TO ONE OF, IN MY OPINION, THE GREAT COMBINATION SOUL/FUNK songs of all time.  From 1973.  The Jackson Sisters.  I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES on Prophesy Records.  Arrangement by Gene Page. 

If you fancy a listen check out the version on YouTube that runs 4 mins 50 secs.   :)

This song is POTENT!   

I think Mr. Gorman turned me on to CONNIE CONVERSE How Sad, How Lovely   I've listened everyday since.