Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

NICK DRAKE didn't even make the '27 Club'; dying at age 26 in 1974.    

I remember reading about Nick Drake and the article I read said there was no footage of him performing live -- which he didn't like to do anyway.

If you were to listen to all the albums of various musicians who died at 32 (I'm thinking of you Keith Moon and John Bonham!) or younger you'd be ♦busy♦.  There's so darn many of them it's hard to keep track. 

Nick Drake struggled to sell his albums in any significant numbers while he was alive.

• Thanks 1

Listening to various pieces of mostly instrumental music this evening courtesy of YouTube. 

Un'ombra Nell'ombra (English title:  "Ring of Darkness") Filmed mostly in 1977.  Released in 1979.  Great opening theme music by Stelvio Cipriani.  Only runs 2 mins 25 seconds if any readers want to have a listen on YouTube.  Type in the Italian title and then Stelvio Cipriani then 'NannuSoundtracks'.  I have this movie on tape.  Lara Wendel is an evil daughter and Anne Heywood is her perplexed and worried mother.  Lesson from this film:  Don't sell your soul to Satan!  You'll be sorry! 

Also listened to ALEC R. COSTANDINOS songs -- in full -- TROCADERO SUITE from 1978.  The full version runs 16 minutes 14 seconds.  Then it was time for the ROMEO AND JULIET SUITE running 15 minutes 27 seconds.  Great disco-themed musical compositions for my musically-picky ears to absorb. 

Songs From The Capeman Paul Simon -Nov 1997

SimonCapeman.jpg

Simon's first in 7 years, it contains his versions of songs from his flop Broadway musical The Capeman, it was about a real life Puerto Rican gang member who murdered two other teens in 1959. The songs are quite good and well performed, I think it is better than Simon's last two more acclaimed albums. It must be taken as a whole, but it has many good individual moments. "Born In Puerto Rico" has a nice Latin feel to it. "Satin Summer Nights" and "Bernandette" are good doo w o p songs. My favorite on the album is "Can I Forgive Him" in which Simon sings in the character of the mother of the killer and the mothers of his two victims, he sings solo and accompanied only on his guitar. There is a good song where he does not sing, "Sunday Afternoon" beautifully sung by Ednita Nazario. 

Songs From A Parent To A Child Art Garfunkel -Jun 1997

Songs from a Parent to a Child.jpg

A good album, very soothing to listen to, Garfunkel's first in 9 years. It is a collection of songs a parent might sing to their child. There are beautiful versions of "Morning Has Broken" and "Baby Mine" which was in the Disney movie classic Dumbo. Garfunkel does a good version of the early Marvin Gaye hit "You're A Wonderful One", aided by some great organ playing by Billy Preston.  John Sebastian provides some guitar, harmonica and whistling for a remake of the The Lovin" Spoonful's "Daydream". Garfunkel's 6 year old son does a funny impression of Elvis Presley on "Good Luck Charm'. This is also first time Garfunkel covered a Beatles song "I Will" from the White Album. My favorite track turns out to be one of the lesser known songs, a dreamy "Lasso The Moon". 

• Like 1
On 4/19/2010 at 8:20 AM, movieman1957 said:

I'll start.

Recently I have run through *Rachmaninoff"s Second Symphony* with Andre Previn conducting. This is leading to a Baltimore Symphony Concert next month where it will be the featured work.

The Beatles *Magical Mystery Tour* has been going on. I can't imagine having this originally available as just an EP in England since the US release was expanded and better, I think.

Michael Gettel's *Winter.* He is a fine and long time New Age artist that writes lovely music.

great

CONNIE CONVERSE seems to have converted you to a fan, Allhallowsday! 

I've been listening to various country songs by SUSIE ALLANSON.  "WORDS" (yes, the BeeGees song) and "WE BELONG TOGETHER" along with THE COWGIRL AND THE DANDY and ME AND CHARLIE BROWN. 

Susie seems to have long-since retired from singing. 

She really BELTS out "Words".

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

CONNIE CONVERSE seems to have converted you to a fan, Allhallowsday!

She's very special; thanks for pointing her out.  I'm waiting for my CD to arrive... 

I'm listening to :

Big-Star-Radio-City1.jpg?quality=80

Now, my favorite BIG STAR ; Third / Sister Lovers 

R-420541-1409256292-2632.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

DARRELL McCALL - "Dreams Of A Dreamer".  (Darrell McCall is now 80.  How quickly time passes!). 

A 1976 country song that reached #35 on the Billboard Country chart.  This is ♦hardcore♦ country that never would've charted in the Top 40 by 1979. 

I have a 45' rpm COLUMBIA record for this . . . but fortunately there is an excellent upload on YouTube that sounds like it came from the single -and- a good quality record player was used.  An upload from 'misterhonkytonk'.  This particular upload is THE best I've heard the song save for listening to it on my record player. 

• Like 1

You're The One Paul Simon-Oct 2000

You're the One (Paul Simon album - cover art).jpg

A good album, Simon's first in 3 years and his first in the 21st century. "Darling Lorraine" is an interesting story about the life of a marriage, from first love then breakup and death. My favorite track is "Old" which is a tribute to Buddy Holly, he is mentioned in the lyrics and the arrangement is done in his style. "Pigs, Sheep and Wolves" is interesting for being most sympathetic to the wolves, usually depicted just as ravenous predators. It ends on a tranquil note with "Quiet" about trying to find peace at last. 

On 5/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Graceland Paul Simon -Aug 1986

Graceland cover - Paul Simon.jpg

Simon's first in 3 years and biggest selling one. It features many South African musicians which got him both praise and scorn. As for my opinion of the album I think it is pretty good, though not the best by Simon. The title track is one of the better ones, about a pilgrimage to Elvis Presley's former home, most interesting for the vocal appearances of Simon's heroes The Everly Brothers. "Diamonds On The Souls Of Her Shoes" is one of the better African inspired tunes, "Homeless" is pretty good too. The best song by far is the hit single "You Can Call Me Al" which has witty lyrics and a terrific horn arrangement.  He is backed by Los Lobos, a Mexican American band on an OK song "All Around The World Or The Myth Of Fingerprints".

I saw PAUL SIMON on the tour for that album at MSG and LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO opened for him.