Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

TheKinksVillageGreenPreservationSociety.jpg

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society Jan 1969

I just saw a PBS documentary on the making of this classic album so I pulled it out and gave it a listen for the first time in years. It definitely is one of the group's best records. Ray Davies' song writing was excellent as always and the band's playing is impeccable. The album was not a success in it's day but has gained acclaim in later years. The songs are nostalgic for simpler times but still have the Davies wit to them. It begins with the title song, as they sing about "preserving the old ways" and "God save little shops, china cups and virginity", hardly the stuff most rock bands were doing at this turbulent time. "Do You Remember Walter" is a witty song about an old school friend who probably now is "fat and married". "Picture Book" is a wonderful, catchy song about looking at old photographs, the last song "People Take Pictures Of Each Other" is a similar theme where the pictures are taken to "prove they really existed. "Village Green" is another nostalgic, wistful song about simple small town living. There are also two songs which tackle the supernatural. "Phenomenal Cat" is a  fairy tale about a cat who lives just to eat, there is an impish voice on the chorus. "Wicked Annabella" is a spooky tale of a witch with enslaved little demons. The songs are very English but although I am American, I have English heritage and was always fascinated by the culture. Listening to the album makes you wish for simpler times as well, even if you are not English.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

Their only record I still need to own, one of my very favorites.

Stranger to Stranger cover.jpg

Stranger To Stranger Paul Simon-June 2016

A pretty good new collection of songs from Simon. The first track is "The Werewolf" with some flamenco dancing sounds and lyrics about a she-wolf creature. My favorite song is "Wristband" a catchy, witty song about a musician who is not allowed into his own gig because he doesn't have the required wristband. The title song is about a couple imaging if they were strangers again, would they fall in love. There is a beautiful horn section on this. Simon is 75 years old now but his voice still sounds smooth and pure.

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Does this album include Smoke Gets in Your Eyes?      (or maybe Rocky Raccoon).

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Does this album include Smoke Gets in Your Eyes?      (or maybe Rocky Raccoon).

Here's the track listing from Wiki :

1. "Soshu Night Serenade" (Ryōichi Hattori) – 2:08
  2. "Island of Dreams" (Laine, Denny) – 2:53
  3. "Japanese Farewell Song (Sayonara)" (Yoshda, Morgan) – 2:21
  4. "Singing Bamboos" (Madeline Lamb) – 2:07
  5. "The Queen Chant (E Lili Ua E)" (John Kaladana) – 2:46
  6. "Wedding Song" (Ke Kali Ne Au) (Charles E. King) – 2:44
  7. "Escales" (Jacques Ibert) – 2:39
  8. "When First I Love" (Denny) – 2:22
  9. "August Bells" (Gil Baumgart, Denny) – 2:14
  10. "Bacoa" (Les Baxter) – 1:59
  11. "Ebb Tide" (Robert Maxwell) – 3:11
  12. "Rush Hour in Hong Kong" (Abram Chasins) – 1:58

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

Here's the track listing from Wiki :

1. "Soshu Night Serenade" (Ryōichi Hattori) – 2:08
  2. "Island of Dreams" (Laine, Denny) – 2:53
  3. "Japanese Farewell Song (Sayonara)" (Yoshda, Morgan) – 2:21
  4. "Singing Bamboos" (Madeline Lamb) – 2:07
  5. "The Queen Chant (E Lili Ua E)" (John Kaladana) – 2:46
  6. "Wedding Song" (Ke Kali Ne Au) (Charles E. King) – 2:44
  7. "Escales" (Jacques Ibert) – 2:39
  8. "When First I Love" (Denny) – 2:22
  9. "August Bells" (Gil Baumgart, Denny) – 2:14
  10. "Bacoa" (Les Baxter) – 1:59
  11. "Ebb Tide" (Robert Maxwell) – 3:11
  12. "Rush Hour in Hong Kong" (Abram Chasins) – 1:58

Thanks for that info,  but I was cracking wise based on the eye make-up wore by the gal on the cover.

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Thanks for that info,  but I was cracking wise based on the eye make-up wore by the gal on the cover.

Martin Denny had a big hit record in the early 60s with an instrumental song called "Quiet Village".

The song had jungle type wild animal sounds on it.

But it was a nice song and held up well without the jungle sound effects on my cover version by Ferrante and Teicher.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I think several MARTIN DENNY have that girl on the album cover...

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

But it was a nice song and held up well without the jungle sound effects on my cover version by Ferrante and Teicher

Wah-rong...

It's a classic Pop record; right up my alley.  There's at least two different MARTIN DENNY recordings and more than one cover. 

53 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think several MARTIN DENNY have that girl on the album cover...

Wah-rong...

It's a classic Pop record; right up my alley.  There's at least two different MARTIN DENNY recordings and more than one cover. 

It wouldn't be a pop classic if there wasn't more than one cover. LOL

And many thanks for Ferrante and Teicher-- two forgotten favorites but not by me.

14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And many thanks for Ferrante and Teicher-- two forgotten favorites but not by me.

Not forgotten by me either...

• Thanks 1

Me either. My mother had several albums and I particularly enjoyed their movie themes albums.

• Like 1

Camelot Original Cast Recording.jpg

Camelot Original Broadway Cast -Jan 1961

After watching the dull 1967 movie version, I pulled out my LP to reassure myself of the greatness of this musical with the wonderful tuneful music of Lerner and Lowe and perfect casting of Richard Burton (King Arthur), Julie Andrews (Guenevere) and Robert Goulet (Lancelot). Burton does some talk/singing in the style of Rex Harrison, but his voice is much more robust and pleasing than Harrison's  was. I loved his version of the title song in which he tells of  his magical kingdom. He also sings "How To Handle A Woman" very well. Andrews'  beautiful voice is a marvel to hear on songs like  the ironic "The Simple Joys Of Maidenhood",the joyous "The Lusty Month Of Month" and the cheeky  "You May Take Me To The Fair". Goulet shows off his great baritone and his braggart character in "C'est Moi". He also beautifully sings 'if Ever I Would Leave You" which would become the best known standard from the show. Burton and Andrews do the charming duet 'What Do The Simple Folk Do?". Roddy McDowall plays the evil Mordred and gets his own song 'The Seven Deadly Virtues" which was cut from the film. All in all,  a wondrous listening experience.