Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

movieman1957

3 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ I love JOHN LENNON.  He's on my mind a lot this year. 

Around the anniversary of his death I was driving with my granddaughter who doesn't usually share my tastes in classic rock, but this came on the radio, I cranked it and sang along, and afterwards she said, "That was a cool song." I like that little dotted rhythm he tosses in there after the bar of quarter notes.

I did not know this one had been released posthumously. He wrote it for Ringo originally, says wiki, not long before his death, but Ringo opted not to record it under the circumstances. Glad you like it, too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is a musician \ singer that I just discovered this week;  Elonora Strino.

She is fast becoming my second favorite Italian.  

Wow. She's impressive. I was curious about her guitar. I found she says he's likes playing her 1930s L7. Looks like she may have added a pickup. Can't be sure. That model underwent a lot of updates during it's run. 

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

Wow. She's impressive. I was curious about her guitar. I found she says he's likes playing her 1930s L7. Looks like she may have added a pickup. Can't be sure. That model underwent a lot of updates during it's run. 

Ah,  I see you know about guitars.    I found out about her on the Jazz Guitar forum (my other daily chat site but also where I learn a tons!),   and yea,  we believe it is a 30s L7 especially since it doesn't have a cutaway.      I have a 1953 L7,  that has a round cutaway.    This is a work of art and the wood has matured so well that it has a fantastic sound.    I'm just an amateur jazz guitar player but after my Italian wife (which is why I made that crack),   playing jazz and studio-era movies are my passions.     

Love your avatar photo;   Dan Duryea is one of my favorites.    

• Like 1

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ah,  I see you know about guitars.    I found out about her on the Jazz Guitar forum (my other daily chat site but also where I learn a tons!),   and yea,  we believe it is a 30s L7 especially since it doesn't have a cutaway.      I have a 1953 L7,  that has a round cutaway.    This is a work of art and the wood has matured so well that it has a fantastic sound.    I'm just an amateur jazz guitar player but after my Italian wife (which is why I made that crack),   playing jazz and studio-era movies are my passions.     

Love your avatar photo;   Dan Duryea is one of my favorites.    

I don't want to derail the thread with a guitar discussion but yes, I do enjoy learning about vintage instruments. Congrats on your 53! And your Italian wife. (I meant to ask who was your favorite.) I'm sure both are lovely. 

Should anyone be curious about the above performance, it was shot December 11, 1968 as a planned tv special for the BBC called The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. It was not released until 1996, except for an excerpt of The Who which was included in their 1979 documentary, The Kids Are Alright (which I very highly recommend).

Eric Clapton wrote briefly about it in his 2007 autobiography, Clapton.

IMG_20210101_171739.jpg

• Thanks 1

^ Yes, the un-broadcast largely unseen legendary Rock n' Roll Circus.  BTW, one of my FAVORITE LENNON songs... The Rolling Stone Record Guide (last edition) felt it appropriate in their review of The White Album to take a swipe at that song. 

DAVID BOWIE Station To Station 

• Like 1

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings