Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

movieman1957

Gone too soon. Laura Nyro from her 1967 debut LP, More Than a New Discovery. "Hands Off The Man" was later retitled "Flim-Flam Man" and may or may not have been meant for the movie of that name. (Another musician who knew Laura said it was about her smooth-talking Uncle Gary.) With horns arranged by Herb Bernstein. I can't play it just once.

• Like 2

McCartney1970albumcover.jpg

McCartney -Paul McCartney -May 1970

The first solo album by one of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time is a disapointment. Paul did all the instruments and voices (except for some harmonies by wife Linda) which is impressive but I wish he would have waited until he some better songs to use. Some songs like "That Would Be Something" and "Man We Was Lonely" sound like throwaways. There are also several instrumentals but ones like "Valentine Day", "Momma Miss America" and "Kreen Akrore" are like boring jam sessions made up on the spot. But there are few good ones in here. "Every Night" is a pleasant, laid back tune about wanting to stay home with his love. "Junk" has one of the best melodies, about selling junk from a shop, there is a nice instrumental version of it "Singalong Junk" with some good piano playing. "Teddy Boy" is a good song about a boy's relationship with his mother. By far the best track is "Maybe I'm Amazed" the only time on the album all of Paul's strengths with singing, playing and songwriting are put to good use. 

Fun strum along song from The Kinks, remastered and with an eye-catching comic book storyboard. And talk about your surprise endings.

Wiki says some stations faded out the audio before the big reveal at the end. Ray Davies said he was inspired by an encounter his manager had one evening. (Ray: Didn't you notice the stubble? Manager:I was too p!ssed to care.) From 1970.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

Fun strum along song from The Kinks, remastered and with an eye-catching comic book storyboard. And talk about your surprise endings.

Wiki says some stations faded out the audio before the big reveal at the end. Ray Davies said he was inspired by an encounter his manager had one evening. (Ray: Didn't you notice the stubble? Manager:I was too p!ssed to care.) From 1970.

That was fun.    I still play a lot of British Invasion music with a guy I was in a rock band with over 25 years ago.   Well I showed him how to play Lola.   He is a better singer than I so he would sing the song.  Well we played it for years before,  after a lot of wine,  I talked about what the song was about.   He said "say what???",  with a confused look.

I laughed and said,,  "really,, you have been singing the words to this song and you never understood what it was about?". 

He though it was about a tomboy!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A man leans over a jukebox while a couple dances beside him

Rough And Rowdy Ways by Bob Dylan- Jun 2020

I have reviewed every single Dylan album on this thread and this is his first since 2017's Triplicate a triple disc of standards, it is also his first album of original material since 2012 and Tempest. I had said in my Triplicate review that I was looking forward to the next Dylan album, believing he still had great work in him. And this album proves it, it is very good collection of bluesy songs with a muted band behind him. The first track is "I Contain Multitudes" which sets the tone with interesting lyrics like "I sing songs of experience like William Blake, I have no apologies to make".  "False Prophet" is a good blues rocker. "My Own Version Of You" is a fascinating song as the narrator takes the role of Dr Frankenstein as he talks of creating the perfect creature with some hypnotic background . My favorite on the album is "Black Rider" about a man facing his enemy who is dressed all in black (perhaps it is Death?) backed by a gently strumming guitar giving it a Mexican cantina feel. "Goodbye Jimmy Reed" is a more rollicking blues song, a tribute to the great blues musician Reed. The final track is "Murder Most Foul" a straightforward account of the JFK assassination, it also talks of radio personality Wolfman Jack and what songs he wants to hear. It is Dylan's longest song ever at 16:55, just a few seconds longer than "Highlands" from 1997. Not sure why Dylan decided to write about the 57 year old murder now, but it makes for a compelling listen, the somber violin and piano are nice touches.