Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

PaulMcCartneyalbum - McCartneyII.jpg

McCartney II by Paul McCartney -May 1980

Paul's second totally solo album where he plays all the intstrumets and voices (additional vocals by wife Linda again), 10 years after the first one. It's a pretty good album, better than the first but not one of his best, The first song "Coming Up" is a funky number with some good rhythm guitars. "Temporary Secretary" has Paul playing around with synthesisers, the song is just OK. Another fair track is the bluesy "On The Way" with a lot of echo. Another outstanding track is "Waterfalls" which has a beautiful melody and Paul singing in a plaintive voice, which he keeps under control. Side 2 has a couple of forgettable instrumentals-"Front Parlour" and "Frozen J a p". The inside lyrics sleeve tells us the song"Bogey Music" was inspired by a 1977 novel "Fungus The Bogeyman" by Raymond Briggs about a filthy creatures who live beneath the earth and hate music. It was helpful to know the back story but the song is goofy and not very good. My favortie track is the last "One Of These Days", a gentle, folky ballad about stop to look around and see what is right and good in the world. 

McCartney III Album Cover.jpg

McCartney III by Paul McCartney -Dec 2020

Paul's third all solo album, he again does all instruments and voices, a remarkable achievement for a 78 year old man. This album is not one of his best though. It begins with a mostly instrumental track with some voice enhanced vocals called 'Long Tailed Winter Bird". It has good guitar and drums. "Find My Way" is pretty catchy pop song. An interesting track is called "Pretty Boys", not sure what this is about, maybe male models? My favorite song is "Lavatory Lil" a good throwback to the rockin' storyteller of classics like "Get Back". It has a great riff and story of a pill popping gold digger who is getting old. "Deep Deep Feeling is a long (8 min) of interweaving vocals but it gets too repetitive and monotonous. "Slidin" is an OK rocker which shows Paul can still shout. The final song, "Winter Bird/When Winter Comes" is a nice gentle song about life on the farm after summer and when winter comes in.

2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

PaulMcCartneyalbum - McCartneyII.jpg

McCartney II by Paul McCartney -May 1980

Paul's second totally solo album where he plays all the intstrumets and voices (additional vocals by wife Linda again), 10 years after the first one. It's a pretty good album, better than the first but not one of his best, The first song "Coming Up" is a funky number with some good rhythm guitars. "Temporary Secretary" has Paul playing around with synthesisers, the song is just OK. Another fair track is the bluesy "On The Way" with a lot of echo. Another outstanding track is "Waterfalls" which has a beautiful melody and Paul singing in a plaintive voice, which he keeps under control. Side 2 has a couple of forgettable instrumentals-"Front Parlour" and "Frozen J a p". The inside lyrics sleeve tells us the song"Bogey Music" was inspired by a 1977 novel "Fungus The Bogeyman" by Raymond Briggs about a filthy creatures who live beneath the earth and hate music. It was helpful to know the back story but the song is goofy and not very good. My favortie track is the last "One Of These Days", a gentle, folky ballad about stop to look around and see what is right and good in the world. 

I prefer McCartney enough to have that on CD; McCartney II has nice melodies which is typical for PAUL but it essentially is a content-less album.  It is worth noting the bass line in "Coming Up" which is still cited as a great example of PAUL's bass work. 

I'm listening to :

FLAMIN' GROOVIES Shake Some Action 

8e868cf73bc5492f9b90f10b2a96b343.1000x10

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is a singer \ musician that,  as far as I recall,  isn't mention much today:  the lovely and talented Nancy Wilson.

Here's my favorite NANCY WILSON who was wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Here's my favorite NANCY WILSON who was wonderful. 

I had the privilege of hearing her up close and personal in a Chicago nightclub quite a few years ago. She was middle-aged but still had it all together.

Those legendary professional singers like her are dying out today, if they're not already dead.

It's not that people do not have good voices today or that they don't have a desire to sing Quality Music.

But It's that there's no audience for it in the United States really and you only get as good as people like Nancy Wilson, Eydie Gorme or Sarah Vaughan by singing for live audiences for many years.

Also, It helps if you can make a living recording, as well as singing live.

I liked Nancy's recordings of "Satin Doll" and "The Best Is Yet To Come".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the film Broken Flowers, this is The Greenhornes, a band out of Ohio, featuring a British singer named Holly Golightly (her true first and middle name). I've always enjoyed this recording, but have never seen it with a video that captures the vibe I get, a sort of a beat coffee house combo feel. This video doesn't either, but it it does show the bass line with highlighting as it moves along. I found it interesting anyway, focusing on the bass as it interacts with the guitars, especially at the break. 

10 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Here is a singer \ musician that,  as far as I recall,  isn't mentioned much today:  the lovely and talented Nancy Wilson.

I knew her more as an actress. I was just watching DVDs of TV show Room 222, she guest starred on Season 1 episode where she played a former student who had dropped out but became a successful singer, she came back to the school to tell the kids not to drop out. 

I liked this track, her vocals were very playful and I loved the piano playing.

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

It's not that people do not have good voices today or that they don't have a desire to sing Quality Music.

But It's that there's no audience for it in the United States really and you only get as good as people like Nancy Wilson, Eydie Gorme or Sarah Vaughan by singing for live audiences for many years.

Maybe it's AUTOTUNE... :rolleyes:

SARAH VAUGHAN is my all time favorite. 

I thought I would review every US Beatles album they released on Capitol and Apple records in order, no greatest hits or live albums, and no Vee Jay or United Artists ones.

Meet the Beatles.jpg

Meet The Beatles -Feb 1964

A fantastic debut for US audiences. The liner notes say it all-The foursome-John Lennon 23, George Harrison 20, Ringo Starr 23 and Paul McCartney 21-write, play and sing a powerhouse music filled with zest and uninhibited good humor that make listening a sensation filled joy. The first track explodes with their #1 smash single "I Want To Hold Your Hand", a masterpiece of pop music with driving guitars, catchy melody and an exhilarating octave jump on the word "hand". Next is Paul singing a excellent rocker "I Saw Her Standing There". "This Boy" is an Everly Brothers inspired tune with beautiful 3 part harmony by John, Paul and George. John also does a passionate solo in the middle. A great party atmosphere with "It Won't Be Long" with some joyous call and response "yeah" "yeah" by John and Paul. John takes a soulful solo with "All I Got To Do". Side 1 ends with a rollicking Paul vocal with "All My Loving", joined by George on the last verse. Side 2 opens with George's first compostion "Don't Bother Me". a good tune with some haunting quality to the melody and well sung by George. John gives some blasts of harmonica on the catchy dance song "Little Child". Paul gives a solo ballad on the only cover song on the album "Till There Was You" (from the musical The Music Man) , he sings it sweetly backed by acoustic guitars and bongoes. Another catchy dance song is sung by Paul with "Hold Me Tight". Ringo gets his solo spot on "I Wanna Be Your Man" helped by wild whoops and screams by the others. It ends a nice quiet somber note with "Not A Second Time" with John once again giving us some passionate soulful singing. Producer George Martin provides some piano.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I thought I would review every US Beatles album they released on Capitol and Apple records in order, no greatest hits or live albums, and no Vee Jay or United Artists ones.

Meet the Beatles.jpg

Meet The Beatles -Feb 1964

A fantastic debut for US audiences. The liner notes say it all-The foursome-John Lennon 23, George Harrison 20, Ringo Starr 23 and Paul McCartney 21-write, play and sing a powerhouse music filled with zest and uninhibited good humor that make listening a sensation filled joy. The first track explodes with their #1 smash single "I Want To Hold Your Hand", a masterpiece of pop music with driving guitars, catchy melody and an exhilarating octave jump on the word "hand". Next is Paul singing a excellent rocker "I Saw Her Standing There". "This Boy" is an Everly Brothers inspired tune with beautiful 3 part harmony by John, Paul and George. John also does a passionate solo in the middle. A great party atmosphere with "It Won't Be Long" with some joyous call and response "yeah" "yeah" by John and Paul. John takes a soulful solo with "All I Got To Do". Side 1 ends with a rollicking Paul vocal with "All My Loving", joined by George on the last verse. Side 2 opens with George's first compostion "Don't Bother Me". a good tune with some haunting quality to the melody and well sung by George. John gives some blasts of harmonica on the catchy dance song "Little Child". Paul gives a solo ballad on the only cover song on the album "Till There Was You" (from the musical The Music Man) , he sings it sweetly backed by acoustic guitars and bongoes. Another catchy dance song is sung by Paul with "Hold Me Tight". Ringo gets his solo spot on "I Wanna Be Your Man" helped by wild whoops and screams by the others. It ends a nice quiet somber note with "Not A Second Time" with John once again giving us some passionate soulful singing. Producer George Martin provides some piano.

You really should review the first Beatle album, which was on Vee-Jay here in the United States.

It was called "Introducing The Beatles" and had all those covers, like "Twist and Shout", "Baby It's You" and Ringo's "Boys". It also had Lennon & McCartney first hits like "Please Please Me".

In my Beatlemaniac's circle half of us bought the Capitol album and half bought the Vee Jay album. I got a nice EP of the Vee jay album COD.

I don't believe there is any original / vintage American Capitol album that duplicates the first album.

The UA "A Hard Day's Night" album is almost completely duplicated on the Capitol "Something New" Album. What was left off was picked up on 45's and "The Second Beatle Album".

11 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I don't believe there is any original / vintage American Capitol album that duplicates the first album.

There was one Capitol album The Early Beatles, released in Apr 1965, that has most of those songs, I will get to that in the next few days.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

There was one Capitol album The Early Beatles, released in Apr 1965, that has most of those songs, I will get to that in the next few days.

That has the cover of a British EMI album-- and I probably took it to be so, but you're absolutely right.

But by 1965 we had all moved on. LOL

Now that I have your here, I'd like to know if there was ever an original/ vintage Capitol album with "I should have known better"and "Can't Buy Me Love". Thanks

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Now that I have your here, I'd like to know if there was ever an original/ vintage Capitol album with "I should have known better"and "Can't Buy Me Love". Thanks

They both were on the Apple release of the Hey Jude album on Mar 1970

TheBeatlesSecondAlbumreissuecover.jpg

The Beatles Second Album-Apr 1964

This one has 11 songs and 6 of them are covers, it's not as good as Meet The Beatles but has many enjoyable moments. The opener is "Roll Over Beethoven" a version of the Chuck Berry classic with George singing lead. It's fairly well done but not as good as the Berry original. "Thank You Girl" is a catchy song with John playing harmonica. John also sings a respectable version of Smokey Robinson's "You Really Got A Hold On Me". George sings lead again on an obscure cover "Devil In Her Heart" which is OK. John then does a blistering version of "Money" which blows Barrett Strong's original out of the water. A great original "You Can't Do That" is next with great slightly threatening vocals from John and he also takes over the  lead guitar part. Side 2 starts with the only song Paul sing lead, a wild cover of Little Richard's "Long Tall Sally", it is one of his strongest vocals and he even surpasses the classic original. "I Call Your Name" is one of the weaker tracks, good guitar work but not as catchy or energetic as some of the other early songs. John comes up with another great vocal on "Please Mr Postman" which is the equal to the Marvellette's original. John again takes lead on the pretty good original "I'll Get You". The album closes with their smash single "She Loves You" with the exuberant  Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! chorus.