Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

3 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Yes, all talented.  I saw them ALL get together "in the round" in a show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia around 1990.  Yes, two drummers, to keyboardists...! 

I saw them twice in their 70s rock chicdom days. Once at Moody Coliseum on the Going for the One tour, where Donovan opened for them (backed by a pretty rockin' band, too) and then their next trip through Dallas/Ft. Worth on the Tormato tour, where they used the revolving stage. Very memorable shows. 

And now I want to hear "Turn of the Century." 

11 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I had that on vinyl.  I think the last YES album I bought was Drama... with THE BUGGLES

All my Yes is on vinyl, but Tormato didn't make it into my collection for some reason, nor did anything else after Going for the One until 90125. Not sure if Tormato didn't get much airplay in Dallas or I just didn't dig it. It was the old favorites I wanted to hear, and the revolving stage presentation got a lot of advance press on that tour. It was the end of an era and I think everyone knew it. They would never be that ... what? cool, chic, interesting ... again. Good, yes. Worthwhile. But just not the same. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

All my Yes is on vinyl, but Tormato didn't make it into my collection for some reason, nor did anything else after Going for the One until 90215. Not sure if Tormato didn't get much airplay in Dallas or I just didn't dig it.

Nobody liked it much and copies quickly found their way into the bargain bin.  I think mine was a cutout. 

• Like 1
Just now, Allhallowsday said:

Nobody liked it much and copies quickly found their way into the bargain bin.  I think mine was a cutout. 

Cutout. Yeah. (Nodding)

What is that?

• Like 1

TheBeatlesMagicalMysteryTouralbumcover.jpg

Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles-Dec 1967

A follow up to Sgt Pepper, it's not as good but still has a few great songs and entertaining to listen to. Side 1 has songs from the groups TV movie special and Side 2 is  all their 1967 singles. The title song is a good introduction, similar to the way the "Sgt Pepper" song starts we are welcomed to the tour to take us away. The next song by Paul "The Fool On The Hill" is one of his best, a tale of a simple fool who is not liked by anyone but he blissfully goes about the world watching it spin around, Paul also does a nice solo on a recorder. "Flying" is an instrumental with the novelty of all four Beatles being credited, but that's the only interesting thing about it.  "Blue Jay Way" is George's contribution, with an ominous beginning but it is just about waiting for friends to arrive, just an OK song. Paul does another old fashioned whimsical song "Your Mother Should Know" which is pretty good but not as great as "When I'm 64".  John ends Side 1 with the Lewis Carroll inspired "I Am The Walrus" one of his best and weirdest. It has many surreal lyrics and ends with a piece of Shakespeare's King Lear. "Hello Goodbye" starts Side 2, a very catchy Paul song with very simple lyrics, it was a #1 hit. There is more John weirdness with the classic "Strawberry Fields Forever", the title came from a children's home in Liverpool, it starts with a dreamy sounding mellotron and some of John's most cryptic lyrics. Paul gives us a more cheery sounding Liverpool location with "Penny Lane", with many different characters, a great hook on the chorus "Penny lane is in my ears and in my eyes", plus great piccolo trumpet solo. "Baby You're A Rich Man" is an intriguing song about "the Beautiful People" during this swinging London era. John's #1 single "All You Need Is Love" ends the record, it is great song of the era, and it works as both an anthem and a parody.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:46 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Yes, all talented.  I saw them ALL get together "in the round" in a show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia around 1990.  Yes, two drummers, to keyboardists...! 

Lucky you!!  Didn't see them in their prime together but did see them (or what was left...) years back at Count Basie Theatre.  They rocked and were quite funny and clever

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

TheBeatlesMagicalMysteryTouralbumcover.jpg

Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles-Dec 1967

A follow up to Sgt Pepper, it's not as good but still has a few great songs and entertaining to listen to. Side 1 has songs from the groups TV movie special and Side 2 is  all their 1967 singles. The title song is a good introduction, similar to the way the "Sgt Pepper" song starts we are welcomed to the tour to take us away. The next song by Paul "The Fool On The Hill" is one of his best, a tale of a simple fool who is not liked by anyone but he blissfully goes about the world watching it spin around, Paul also does a nice solo on a recorder. "Flying" is an instrumental with the novelty of all four Beatles being credited, but that's the only interesting thing about it.  "Blue Jay Way" is George's contribution, with an ominous beginning but it is just about waiting for friends to arrive, just an OK song. Paul does another old fashioned whimsical song "Your Mother Should Know" which is pretty good but not as great as "When I'm 64".  John ends Side 1 with the Lewis Carroll inspired "I Am The Walrus" one of his best and weirdest. It has many surreal lyrics and ends with a piece of Shakespeare's King Lear. "Hello Goodbye" starts Side 2, a very catchy Paul song with very simple lyrics, it was a #1 hit. There is more John weirdness with the classic "Strawberry Fields Forever", the title came from a children's home in Liverpool, it starts with a dreamy sounding mellotron and some of John's most cryptic lyrics. Paul gives us a more cheery sounding Liverpool location with "Penny Lane", with many different characters, a great hook on the chorus "Penny lane is in my ears and in my eyes", plus great piccolo trumpet solo. "Baby You're A Rich Man" is an intriguing song about "the Beautiful People" during this swinging London era. John's #1 single "All You Need Is Love" ends the record, it is great song of the era, and it works as both an anthem and a parody.

Great summary.  I still remember going through the magazine attachment (if my memory serves me).  I recall the shot of John as a waiter serving the big lady shovelfulls of spaghetti.  

• Like 1
21 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I saw them twice in their 70s rock chicdom days. Once at Moody Coliseum on the Going for the One tour, where Donovan opened for them (backed by a pretty rockin' band, too) and then their next trip through Dallas/Ft. Worth on the Tormato tour, where they used the revolving stage. Very memorable shows. 

And now I want to hear "Turn of the Century." 

That must have been A-mazing.  And Donovan too...legendary for sure

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ladydid said:

That must have been A-mazing.  And Donovan too...legendary for sure

I thought of Donovan then as a nostalgia act. I expected him to come out with an acoustic guitar and lead a sing along, He was surprisingly good with his backing band. I bought his LP in the lobby after the show. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I thought of Donovan then as a nostalgia act. I expected him to come out with an acoustic guitar and lead a sing along, He was surprisingly good with his backing band. I bought his LP in the lobby after the show. 

• Like 1

The words "The Beatles" embossed on a plain white background, with a serial number in the lower right

The Beatles (White Album) Nov 1968

A very good album, some great stuff, many good ones and few strange odds and ends. I will  review each side since there are so many songs on this. This came with a poster of strange old and current photos, one has Ringo dancing with Elizabeth Taylor, she seems completely charmed by him. The lyrics of all the songs are on the other side of the poster. There are individual photos of each Beatle looking somewhat unkempt.

Side 1:

It starts with the great rocker 'Back In The USSR" Paul plays a lot of the instruments here (including the drums), it's a fun send up of Chuck Berry/Beach Boys music with high pitched John and George backing vocals. John has a beautiful ode to nature "Dear Prudence" as he tries to convince a girl to come out in the sunshine. There is a lot of humor on this album and on "Glass Onion" John plays around with fans obsession with hidden meanings in songs, even says "The Walrus was Paul". Paul then does a witty upbeat reggae influenced "Ob La Di Ob La Da". A throw away track is "Wild Honey Pie" which sounds like some fooling around in the studio. "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" is fun singalong song John wrote about a hunter, his new girl friend Yoko Ono is heard on one line as Bill's mom ("not when he looks so fierce"). George has one of the best on the album with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" nicely sung and Eric Clapton guest stars with some great lead guitar. John is back with a three part song "Happiness Is A Warm Gun", starting with some surreal lyrics, then turns to a druggy section ("I need a fix") before it settles into a doo w o p parody with lyrics about a love affair with a gun. This is probably my favorite side on the album.

Side 2:

"Martha My Dear" is an endearing little dance hall song that Paul says he wrote for a pet dog. "I'm So Tired" has an exhausted sounding John talking about not sleeping a wink, turns to anger and frustration with some of his best singing. Paul sings a  beautiful "Blackbird" solo on guitar about being free, learning to fly. George has an unusual song for him, with some funny and pointed lyrics with a good harpsicord beginning. Paul does an entertaining h o n k y tonk song about a cowboy facing a duel. Ringo gets his first solo composition with the fun country song "Don't Pass Me By".  "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" has Paul doing his gruff, bluesy voice but the song sounds like a demo. Paul then does one of his best love ballads "I Will" again solo on the guitar, I wish the song was longer. John then does his own solo guitar ballad "Julia" a beautiful tribute to his late mother.  This would have been one of their greatest if they ended it right here.

Side 3:

This begins with a great rocker "Birthday" love the guitar riff and Ringo's drumming, John and Paul have said this was created on the spot but it is a lot of fun to listen to. "Yer Blues" is John singing about being lonely and wanting to die, his singing is very good but it is hard to tell if he is serious or if this is just a parody of the blues. "Mother Nature's Son" is an OK Paul song about a country bumpkin. "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey" is a John song that sounds like something quickly thrown together with a lot of cowbell. "Sexy Sadie" is one of John's better songs on here with some bitter lyrics about somebody who "made a fool of everyone". It was directed at Maharishi but he changed the name before recording it, more good doo w o p backing vocals. Paul brings his wildest rocker ever with "Helter Skelter" with some frenzied vocals and screaming guitars. Ringo has the last word as he bashes the cymbals and yells out "I got blisters on my fingers!" George has a strange sounding ballad "Long Long Long" with some weird moaning and creaking sounds. This is the weakest side on the album.

Side 4:

"Revolution 1" kicks things off with a laconic sounding John singing some good social comment lyrics, some "shoo be doo w o p" backing by Paul and George. Paul does another great old time musical hall song "Honey Pie". George has a fun song about having a sweet tooth with "Savoy Truffle" backed by a great horn section. "Cry Baby Cry" is one of John's best on the album, one of the last Lewis Carroll influenced ones he did. There is a quick haunting snippet of a song that Paul sings "Can you take me back where I came from" but it is not listed on the album, I wish that it was completed and longer since it is better than a couple that did make the record. The next track is the 8 minute collage of sounds, voices, musical notes. It was John probably inspired by Yoko and her avant garde art. Only interesting part is trying to catch some dialogue being spoken by George (he says El Dorado at one point) and John saying "Take this brother, may it serve you well". The album ends with Ringo singing a sincere and dreamy Hollywood type song "Good Night". Taken as a whole, the album is a very good listening experience though the group appears to be drifting apart now.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Did anyone know JOHN PAUL JONES plays bass on Hurdy Gurdy Man

I did know this but just found out this week at the jazz guitar forum (no less).    We were discussing what musicians that were trailblazers,  and JPJ was one of the first to use the electric bass on recordings and in a band.       Baldwin (his birth name) joined his first band, The Deltas, at the age of 15. He then played bass for jazz-rock London group, Jett Blacks, a collective that included guitarist John McLaughlin.    (McLaughlin is a first rate musician and jazz guitarist).       This lead to discussions about JPJ pre-Zeppelin career.

2 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I did know this but just found out this week at the jazz guitar forum (no less).    We were discussing what musicians that were trailblazers,  and JPJ was one of the first to use the electric bass on recordings and in a band.       Baldwin (his birth name) joined his first band, The Deltas, at the age of 15. He then played bass for jazz-rock London group, Jett Blacks, a collective that included guitarist John McLaughlin.    (McLaughlin is a first rate musician and jazz guitarist).       This lead to discussions about JPJ pre-Zeppelin career.

Apparently, there is some mystery about other musicians who played on that record. 

9 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey"

I read that the "monkey" of the title was a reference to YOKO

10 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Yer Blues"

My favorite song on that album...

12 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Can you take me back where I came from"

My second favorite would be "Cry Baby Cry" and that snippet at the end is one of the reasons. 

15 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

The next track is the 8 minute collage of sounds, voices, musical notes. It was John probably inspired by Yoko and her avant garde art. Only interesting part is trying to catch some dialogue being spoken by George (he says El Dorado at one point) and John saying "Take this brother, may it serve you well".

I read that JOHN said this recording was really all he and YOKO.   That one still holds up for me, though I would not have expected it. 

• Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 1:56 AM, LuckyDan said:

Zep LP covers happen to be a pet topic of mine. LZII art was done by David Juniper, an art school buddy of Jimmy's. He based it on a WWI photo of Baron Von Richthofen and his crew. He threw in some additional faces, one often mistakenly said to be Glynnis Johns (wiki repeats this error) as a pun on recording engineer Glyn Johns, and disguised some of the original faces.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2004-0430-501,_Jag

Great stuff!!!  Album artwork is something truly cherished......I'm feeling nostalgic.  Houses of the Holy cover is my bathroom artwork.  It goes with the decor.

• Like 1