Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Are You Listening To?

A colorful cartoon-style drawing of the Beatles and other characters from the Yellow Submarine film

Yellow Submarine by The Beatles-Jan 1969

This is definitely the weakest Beatle album. They have only six songs on this. Two of them, the title cut and "All You Need Is Love" were previously on Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour and were reviewed then. They are also the best songs on the album. George has a psychedelic leftover "Only A Northern Song" which is OK. Paul's only contribution is the singalong "All Together Now" which sounds like a throwaway (even Paul admitted that). "Hey Bulldog" is probably the best of the new songs, sung by John and with a good piano intro and some amusing fooling around at the end. George has a second song "It's All Too Much" which starts off pretty good but rambles on for six minutes. Side 2 is a lot of George Martin composed music for the soundtrack of the movie, not of much interest to Beatle fans like myself.

2 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

"Hey Bulldog" is probably the best of the new songs

Hey Bulldog has a great guitar riff and strong singing by John.     Fine song,  but I still recall,  decades ago,  going into a record store and saying to myself,,,, I want that song,,, but I'm not going to buy this album just to get ONE song!     (so I got the album from a friend and put the song on a  cassette tape).

• Like 1

Cat Stevens recorded this one on February, 1, 1967, (though it is his song, his recording was not the first) well before his hospitalization with TB and the reappraisal of his music that led him into his folk rock period. This youtuber paired it with an odd little french silent from 1926 and I'm not sure if works all that well, but it's ... interesting. Watching silents with anachronistic music can often be fun. 

The cover of Abbey Road has no printed words. It is a photo of the Beatles, in side view, crossing the street in single file.

Abbey Road by The Beatles-Sep 1969

This would be the last album the group recorded together but not the last one released, Many fans consider this their favorite, I always liked it but not one of my favorites. Listening to it again from start to finish made me appreciate it a bit more. The opener is John's funky "Come Together" the playing and John's singing are all excellent on here. George is next with one of his best songs "Something" his singing and guitar solo is beautiful. Paul's first song is one of his weirdest-"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" a dark humored musical hall type song about a madman who kills people with his hammer. "Oh! Darling" is Paul again, a 1950s style rock song with a tonsil shredding vocal, Ringo has his second composition on a Beatle album, "Octopus's Garden" a catchy C&W novelty. John concludes Side 1 with a bluesy "I Want You (she's so heavy)', it's long (7:49) but passionate singing by John and a hypnotic, fuzzy finale with Moog synthesizer that ends abruptly. Paul does some great bass playing here and other songs, I always thought the bass would be one of those instruments that are "felt but not heard" but it is very noticeable on this album, Ringo's drumming is some of his best also. Side 2 opens with George's beautiful "Here Comes The Sun" his singing is very confident and the guitar is great too. "Because" is one of the best on the album, with some great 3 part harmony by John, Paul and George. which they hadn't done much since the earlier "This Boy" and "Nowhere Man". Paul has a great one "You Never Give Me Your Money" which has some pointed lyrics about  money troubles and starts as a gentle piano song and then he switches his voice to a Fats Domino style.  The last sequence is a medley of several fragments of songs, it works well here since the production is so polished, unlike on some of The White Album. "Sun King" has some more nice harmony singing, "Mean Mr Mustard" is a funny tale of a dirty old man, his sister is "Polythene Pam" about a drag queen sung in John's thickest Liverpool accent. "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" is a good Paul song about an ex policeman dating a dancer. "Golden Slumbers" is a lullaby that Paul switches to his gruff voice once again. "Carry That Weight" is rousing song in which Ringo's voice can be heard on the chorus. "The End" has Ringo giving us a great drum solo and Paul, George and John each getting a chance on lead guitar, it ends with "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make". This could been the ending but Paul couldn't resist to include a cheeky fragment to the Queen "Her Majesty".  So this is one of their greatest but should always be listened to in full. 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, Allhallowsday said:

But I don't think I ever saw a show in Red Bank. 

It's a small intimate venue which was formerly a movie theatre.  I think the Smithsonian recently took it over so I'm sure they will be renovating, charging more $, etc.    You might want to check it out which things reopen.   Lots of restaurants around in town too.

13 minutes ago, ladydid said:

It's a small intimate venue which was formerly a movie theatre.  I think the Smithsonian recently took it over so I'm sure they will be renovating, charging more $, etc.    You might want to check it out which things reopen.   Lots of restaurants around in town too.

I know the town well and have eaten in many restaurants there, a friend worked at Oyster Point,  used to buy CDs there, antique crap too at the consortium. 

14 minutes ago, ladydid said:

Used to be my favorite tune  when I was young and my ears were immature.  

It's a good album, not great.  Two of those guys went on to found BAD COMPANY. 

FUNKADELIC Maggot Brain

mbrain.jpg?resize=425,425

17 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I know the town well and have eaten in many restaurants there, a friend worked at Oyster Point,  used to buy CDs there, antique crap too at the consortium. 

Yes Jack's Music Store .....Spent a lot of time there....they had a decent selection....not sure it is still there.  OP and antiques still there!  Lots of good stuff.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

I do not understand. 

I was sloppy there. I meant to say that I far prefer the song "Fire and Water" to the other Free song that seems to be more highly favored on the classic rock stations, "All Right Now." I even remember calling a local DJ one night to ask them to please give ARN a rest for gods sake. She said, oh no no can't do that. People just love All Right Now.

• Thanks 1

But you be the judge. I trust everyone knows "All Right Now" quite well so I won't play it, but here is "Fire and Water" with a good look at a very famous guitar, Paul Kossoff's stripped-finish Les Paul.

Paul sold the guitar few years later and it has changed hands a few times since. If you're interested in guitars (or the provenance of instruments in general) the below link features a very detailed "autopsy" of the instrument which is today in the hands of a private collector. 

https://guitar.com/features/paul-kossoff-les-paul/

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

But you be the judge.

I've owned the album for years, and the title track opens the album.  I've heard "It's Alright Now" enough, and when a song is an overplayed hit, I have a habit now of not listening to it by walking away.  We agree. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I've owned the album for years, and the title track opens the album.  I've heard "It's Alright Now" enough, and when a song is an overplayed hit, I have a habit now of not listening to it by walking away.  We agree.

tenor.gif

Heyjudealbum.jpg

Hey Jude by The Beatles -Mar 1970

This is just a collection of singles never on a US Capitol album. I decided to review it since the group was officially still together at the time of release and the cover was one of the last photos of all four together. The first track is a 1964 #1 hit "Can't Buy Me Love" a great rocker with Paul singing and has one of his best screams. "I Should Have Known Better" is another 1964 song (this and the last were in the movie A Hard Day's Night) , it is very catchy and probably my favorite of John and his harmonica. "Paperback Writer" is a great Paul song from 1966, with distorted guitar and interesting tale about wanted to write pulp novels. "Rain" is the B side of the last one, John in his trippy and experimental mode with some backwards parts. "Lady Madonna" is a jaunty tune on piano with Paul in his Fats Domino voice. Side 1 ends with the great rock version of "Revolution" with great guitar and electric piano, John's singing is some of his best, this is much better than the slow version on The White Album. Side 2 begins with the title song, a huge #1 smash single. Paul sings it beautifully while starting simple with the piano and then it explodes into it's "Na Na Na Na" chorus, it is fun to hear Paul going wild during this one. "Old Brown Shoe" is a pretty good George song, good guitar playing. "Don't Let Me Down" is one of John's most passionate love songs, lyrics are simple but very emotionally sung. The closer is the hit "Ballad Of John And Yoko" which John tells us how he finally got married to his new love. Most interesting thing is that John and Paul are the only ones on this recording, Paul supplied the drums and piano and John guitar and they both sang, maybe the only time they recorded as just a duo.

1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

the title song, a huge #1 smash single

I think PAUL said this song was written for JOHN's son, perceived by PAUL as neglected, and began as "Hey Jules".   Apparently, there's truth in his perception. 

39 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think PAUL said this song was written for JOHN's son, perceived by PAUL as neglected, and began as "Hey Jules".   Apparently, there's truth in his perception. 

Yes,  it was written for John's son when Yoko came on the scene.    Of course Paul mixed what appears to be romantic lyrics with what really is a young man having to deal with a new woman in his life,   the girlfriend and soon to be wife,  of his father:

Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yes,  it was written for John's son when Yoko came on the scene.    Of course Paul mixed what appears to be romantic lyrics with what really is a young man having to deal with a new woman in his life,   the girlfriend and soon to be wife,  of his father:

Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

When PAUL was good, nobody but JOHN could write a better melody; when PAUL was great, nobody could write a sweeter song.  You remind me over my adoration of LENNON that PAUL wrote all of the BEATLES songs that I grew up loving.  I've read dreadful things about JOHN and his treatment of CYNTHIA and there's no denying that 1967 was a pivotal year for the whole world.  I turned 6 that November.  I've not read much good about YOKO and I even mean original stories in LOOK and EYE magazines... "You spilled sugar on the table."  I had a box of BEATLES clippings.  I never liked YOKO.